New system, Battlejack, development updates.

wolfpunk

First Post
So had my first melt-down playtest session. I was playing with a group of avid boardgamers who are not rpgers.

Here is the feedback.

They loved the tiles we used for making the map. I think I can design 6 tiles on one page and they can print them off as necessary if they want.

They loved the little Stake, Wager, Loss sheet I made for tracking chips. Really wasn't anything fancy, just an easy way to keep track of what chips were what.

They loved the zone feature tokens we used on the tiles. Place them randomly face down on the tiles, when you enter the zone flip it over to find out what it is.

They loved the handouts of all of the power-ups, badges, and gear that could be earned from the zone features.

They enjoy the premise of the game.

What they didn't like.

Player Abilities need to be organized by what phase they can be used in. (easily done)

Soldier Tactics and stratagems need to be organized (easily done, we now have offensive, defensive, harmful and beneficial categories)

The explanation of a round of play needs to occur sooner. (easily done)

The 6 pre-generated characters need to be designed with capture the flag in mind (easily done, I will be generating a melee attacker, a ranged attacker, a melee defender, a ranged defender, a melee flag runner and a ranged flag runner)

Five Tiers is too complicated. This is where it gets tricky, I think we are going to break play into 3 tiers instead of five. Tier 1 will be levels 1 through 7. Tier 2 will be levels 8 through 14 and Tier 3 will be levels 15 through 21. Stakes will be 250 at 1st tier, 500 at 2nd tier and 1000 at 3rd tier. You get to come restart after being killed once, not twice, game takes too long otherwise.

All of the tactics, abilities, stratagems and gear together is too much. For example, tons of gear is really unaffordable at 1st tier play. (Some player abilities, tactics, stratagem, and gear will be moved from tier 1 and placed in tier 2 or tier 3. Another recommendation is that Tier 2 and Tier 3 be their own separate PDFs. Tier 2 will have betting and extra action stuff. Tier 3 is for high level gear and custom gear.) Not sure if we want to package 3 PDFs or just make very serious sections defining tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 play.

They want reference cards for everything (I think we can design some power cards and put them on sheets that they can then print off for their own use. I understand this is something they expect from a board game type game)

Since I want to appeal to as many people as possible, I am leaning towards splitting it up into three separate PDFs even if I sell it as one bundle. I refer to the Dragon Age boxed set which is just levels 1-5. People don't seem to have a problem buying an introductory box set.

What do you guys think?

wolfpunk

First Post
So I have designed little hand out cards for every player ability, soldier tactic, soldier stratagem, gear, gear effect, gear feature, and zone feature in the Tier 1 game. I have also designed 6 pre-generated soldiers and included the necessary extra cards because some soldiers have the same tactics. All in all 195 cards.

I designed them to be printed on the Avery 5871 perforated business cards, so 20 pages prints all the cards you need to play the game out of the box. They are 2" x 3 1/2" and so they easily slide into individual collectible card sleeves so that you can make them last.

I suggest getting five different color sleeves for easy identification. Player abilities, Tactics, Stratagems, Gear and effects and features, and then Dealer cards which are zone features.

I am quite happy about the hand outs, I think when used in conjunction with the stat sheet (which becomes sort of a during the game note taking sheet) to track your kills, assists, deaths, levels, and what stuff you have leveled up it should make game play alot faster.

So if you get for example a medical kit, you get the medical kit card, along with it you get the heal card so that you know what heal does.

The player ability cards tell you what phase it can be used in, that way you don't have to worry about when to play it. I have included the order of phases at the top of the stat sheet so that you know when is the proper time to use it.

I am really working hard to make this thing as user friendly for non-rpgers and non-boardgamers as possible. I should get to play my first session with the new cards and pre-gen soldiers this week.

wolfpunk

First Post
Finished the Battlejack Tier 1, 2, and 3 master rule set today, it weighs in at a respectable 72 pages. Along with the ruleset there are 376 handout cards for quick reference (a Tier 1 character usually has about a dozen of them specific to their Player and Soldier). Also including a 7 page stat sheet that includes all of the Medals (Achievements) throughout Tier 1, 2 and 3 play.

Tier 1 includes rules for Capture the Flag matches. Simple, capture the flag.

Tier 2 includes rules for Race matches. Complete as many laps as possible before time runs out, every death restarts you at the beginning of your current lap.

Tier 3 includes rules for Fortress matches. Destroy their base before they destroy yours.

Pretty excited about how everything has evolved and shaped up in the end.

wolfpunk

First Post
Did my first ever podcast interview this week. So a podcast about Battlejack will be up next week on Vigilance Press Podcast.

Also, finishing up playtesting on the King of the Hill matches and the Trophy Hunter matches. Both have been loads of fun to play.

The revamping of the gear pricing structure is complete, and much much simpler now.

Also Adrian Smith of Mesozoic Press has been doing the artwork and I have to say I really like what I see.

wolfpunk

First Post
We revised the damage system to reduce the number of cards pulled on an attack (60+ cards in Tier 3 games, while fun for the attacker, just took too long to add up) and instead change tactics, stratagems and wagers to provide a flat damage bonus. We also changed the value of cards so that when you pull a 2-9 you count it as 5 points, a 10-king is 10 points and an ace is 15 points. This makes counting damage alot faster. Between the two changes we think it makes games about 10 minutes faster, which we feel is great. We are really enjoying that typical matches are about 15 minutes per player in length.

wolfpunk

First Post
Just an update for you guys. I will be running demonstrations of Battlejack at NeonCon this year in the Board Game area.

wolfpunk

First Post
Just to update the schedule for NeonCon. I will be running Battlejack demonstrations on Thursday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Friday I have a session from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Saturday I have a session from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Feel free to stop by introduce yourself and play a game or two.

Remove ads