• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New to D&D and made DM. Help?!?!

Trudy

First Post
Strahd's awesome. It's very sandboxy, so you'd pretty much have to know the whole thing to do it well. You never know where the players are going to go. There are a lot of nuances, and some randomness as well due to a card reading in the beginning.

It's a great campaign, but I don't know if it's good for new dms. It's not very straightforward, and there is a lot to keep in mind as you go. If you read through it a few times, get a lay of how it works, make whatever changes you want, and remember it all or make notes. The group I play it with (my parents and grown younger brothers) only play a few hours a session, so it's easier for me to keep it all together.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Thanks for the heads up -- this was really helpful. One of the DMs who runs for me is way over her head with STK for this same reason -- there's no real direction for the players (at least where we are right now), so she doesn't know what to prepare for -- and so, she prepares for everything... and ends up really stressed out pre-game. NOT what I want for myself, especially for a first game.

One of my DMs actually has the book and is going to lend it to me so I can give it a read over so I can at least discern whether or not this would put me over my head -- and I'll keep what you said in mind. I actually would have plenty of time to learn it backwards and forwards -- most of us play in two games a week, so I wouldn't be running until one campaign or the other ended (probably in 6-12 months).

I'm also going to take a look at Princes of the Apocalypse, too, since that seems to be recommended here, too.

Remove ads