New warlock invocations

fredpag3

Villager
I feel this one would be a cantrip in the line of Green Flame Blade and the like and modify Invocations such a Grasp of Hadar, Lance of Lethargy, Repelling Blast etc to affect Eldritch Glaive.

Something like:

Eldritch Glaive (Warlock)
Evocation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round
As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must
make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature
within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.
On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects but
the damage type of the attack is force damage instead of the
normal weapon damage type. At level 5 the attack deals an extra
1d8 force damage, and add another 1d8 on a hit a level 11 and 17.
It would be nice to give it the extra range so you could use it with its names sake. Right now I'm not sure why you would take it instead of the other GFB or Booming blade. I think the extra range would be an interesting choice versus the extra damage the other two deal.

That being said I haven't memorized the MM and don't know how common weakness to force damage is.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It would be nice to give it the extra range so you could use it with its names sake. Right now I'm not sure why you would take it instead of the other GFB or Booming blade. I think the extra range would be an interesting choice versus the extra damage the other two deal.

That being said I haven't memorized the MM and don't know how common weakness to force damage is.

Duh, you're right, its should have a range of 10 or 15 feet, its a glaive after all!

Force damage dont see many immunities or resistances in the MM.

I'm not the target audience (I would rather power up Arms of Hadar than EB), but Eldritch Glaive got me thinking of some new ideas for the bladelock:

Stab and Retreat (invocation)
Prereq: Warlock 3rd level, pact of the blade

If you make a melee attack with your pact weapon, you can use your bonus action to cast misty step without using a warlock spell slot. You cannot use this feature if you have made more than one melee attack in a round.

I figure this gives the warlock a little survival advantage if you don't think two attacks with Lifedrinker are going to kill the Big Bad, but you don't think you can take too many hits in the meantime (let the mad Big Bad pound on the paladin--if you were altruistic, you wouldn't be a warlock).

Infesting Strike (warlock)
Conjuration cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 5 feet
Components: V, M (a weapon)
Duration: 1 round
As part of the action used to cast this spell, you must
make a melee attack with a weapon against one creature
within the spell's range, otherwise the spell fails.
On a hit, the target suffers the attack's normal effects and is partially covered in tiny creatures (tiny sprites, imps, worms, ghosts, cherubim, or other things depending on your patron).
The target takes an extra 1d4 piercing damage and it makes any saves with disadvantage until the start of its next turn (shame there is no distracted condition).

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Seems like some inspirstion here from the original warlock invocations from 3.5e. Some of these I like a lot. With Baleful Utterance though, it gives a lot but still seems quite weak because the languages are highly situational while the object breaking is really mostly for role play purposes. I might instead allow adding the Thaumaturgy cantrip to the Warlocks known cantrips without counting against their normal limit, and making the object breaking tied to an improvement on that cantrip.

Other than that, I will certainly be stealing a few of these.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Seems like some inspirstion here from the original warlock invocations from 3.5e. Some of these I like a lot. With Baleful Utterance though, it gives a lot but still seems quite weak because the languages are highly situational while the object breaking is really mostly for role play purposes. I might instead allow adding the Thaumaturgy cantrip to the Warlocks known cantrips without counting against their normal limit, and making the object breaking tied to an improvement on that cantrip.

Other than that, I will certainly be stealing a few of these.

You are right, its fun but weak. I have in mind of adding for the ability to chose 4 known spells; those spell would be casted in a eldritch speech that would make them un-counterspell-able.

Remove ads