5E Newbie Adventure Recommendation

ddaley

Explorer
What shortish adventures do people recommend running for a group of new players? I would love to run Lost Mines for them, but one player has played before and has played about half of that adventure. I would like to find something along those lines that throws the group into the action and isn't a lengthy campaign. I like how Lost Mines is broken into smaller, but still meaty (for new players) sub-quests.

Worst case, I may run Lost Mines for them, and have the one player not provide much strategic input until we progress far enough into the adventure. I am also considering Legacy of the Crystal Shard (though that same player has played some of that, but much less than half).

Stormonu

Hero
Tales of the Yawning Portal has several smaller adventures in it; Sunless Citadel would be a good adventure to start a group out (and it's follow-up, Forge of Fury is also in the book).

Beyond that, I'd check the DM's guild/DriveThruRPG. There is a myriad of adventures to be found on there, and conversions of older D&D modules to 5E. Personally, I'm partial to U1 - Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, B2 - Keep on the Borderlands and B4 - The Lost City.

aco175

Adventurer
You can also check DMsGuild. There are some good starter adventures and even some around Phandalin if the one player has played some of that and you think that can make a connection.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
I'm very fond of Sly Flourish's Fantastic Adventures - a new collection of short adventures all around the same home base has just been released.

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
A lot of people here are not fond of Dragon Heist, but I ran it for newbies and they still find it their best D&D experience.

I did however give Mind Flayers a french accent, so maybe it's just how I ran it...

JeffB

Hero
The essentials kit is a good follow up to Lost Mine- but it doesn't really throw the adventurers into the action right away. The first few quest are pretty mundane and not terribly action packed-As I said in my review- The whole adventure arc is low energy and takes too long to get going. But that's JMO.

I'd highly recommend the A Series conversion adventures from Troll Lord Games- In particular A0- I ran it as a extended session by having the PC's attacked on the road to town- then come into the town as the townsfolk discovered the internal threat and were putting traitorous locals to the gallows- This got them right into the action, instead of spending a while figuring out who is behind the town's issues, and where they need to go.

Also if you don't mind a bit of easy conversion from C&C - U1-Shadows of the Halfling Hall is another fun starter- who doesn't like exploring a Hobbit Hole and figuring out why all the Hobbits got wiped out ? :D

M.T. Black has some great short adventures on the DM's Guild- We had fun with Shadows on the Long Road.

Sasquatch (Thule) and Frog God (Book of Quests series) are worth a look, Goodman 5E modules.

And of course there is the older edition adventures, and you can find decent 5E conversion stat books of many of them on DMs Guild- They are called Classic Modules today.

ddaley

Explorer
The essentials kit is a good follow up to Lost Mine- but it doesn't really throw the adventurers into the action right away. The first few quest are pretty mundane and not terribly action packed-As I said in my review- The whole adventure arc is low energy and takes too long to get going. But that's JMO.
Yeah, I browsed through the adventure, and that was my impression as well. Don't want a new group getting bored and spending too much time trying to figure out what to do.

I'd highly recommend the A Series conversion adventures from Troll Lord Games- In particular A0-
I have this for C&C... but, haven't read through it yet. I'll check this out.

A lot of people here are not fond of Dragon Heist, but I ran it for newbies and they still find it their best D&D experience.
This is one of the few WotC publications that I do not have yet. Maybe I'll pick this up on D&D Beyond so I can read through it. Thanks!

jayoungr

Adventurer
Can you give us an idea of what sort of length you're looking for? Is Phandelver about the right size?

Weiley31

Adventurer
Wait. Its Castle Icespire AFTER Lost Mines? I would've seen it as the other way around. Take out Cryovain the dragon first THEN the Lost Mines.

Last edited:

Maestrino

Explorer
If you're experienced as a DM, then Acq Inc has a good adventure for levels 1-6. You just need to improvise, well, everything that goes on in-between the six major "chapters" of the story. You also need to be OK with a certain kind of humor in the game. :)

Urriak Uruk

Debate fuels my Fire
This is one of the few WotC publications that I do not have yet. Maybe I'll pick this up on D&D Beyond so I can read through it. Thanks!
Yeah, I'd say it's a very good intro adventure that isn't that popular here because it is very modular and ends at level 5. So people don't like paying full book price for something short.

Of course, it's modularity means you can play it 4 times completely differently. The villain you choose can really help set what level of difficulty you're going for as well.

Easiest: Cassalanter. They are actively avoiding outright killing the players, and are weaker than Jarlaxle Baenre in a fight.
Medium: Jarlaxle: Isn't very interested in killing the players, but in a straight fight is difficult to beat.
Hard: Manshoon: Is perfectly comfortable killing the players, but is willing to negotiate in the right circumstances.
Very Hard: Xanathar: Is not only comfortable killing the players, but if convinced to make a deal with them will betray them as soon as he is able to.

ddaley

Explorer
Can you give us an idea of what sort of length you're looking for? Is Phandelver about the right size?
Lost Mine is a good length and I like how it is broken into a number of short adventures. I think the campaigns would be a bit much for new players.

ddaley

Explorer
I also got some good play out of the free part from Princes of the Apocalypse adventure. You can play part for free and them buy the big book if you get into it.
I have been tempted to run Princes of the Apocalypse a number of times. I think it would require quite a bit of prep, so I haven't done it yet. If this group seems interested in continuing to play after a few sessions, this may be the next step. I do have the full adventure. Are there things in the free version that are not included in the book?

Advertisement