[News] AEG to spin off Sypcraft

Acid_crash

First Post
AscentStudios said:
Thanks for the well-wishes, all. We're definately excited about the prospects of taking up Spycraft's reigns in an official capacity - our fan base is stronger and more enthusiastic than ever before, we've got a rock-solid product to work from, and a whole host of exciting new products under development based on what we as designers and you as fans have asked for!

Patrick ain't the only one involved with this, by the way - it's a partnership. He's our frontman at this point, but Scott Gearin and myself are equal partners in this venture as well. For you as players and fans, that means you can expect the same quality of content, mechanics and support you have come to expect from the Spycraft Design Team over the years. The best is definately yet to come!

Yeah, I can't wait. I'm hoping you can finish your Star Wars conversion because what you have done so far is just killer. :)

I'm also hoping that you can redo Spycraft into a FantasyCraft someday. Talk about a dream come true.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Wow. The move is complete then. Aside from licensing and royalty, AEG is out of the d20 publishing business.

Can't say I'm sad, other than I want my $5 reimbursement for the Rokugan material in my new Oriental Adventures.

Yeah, I'm kidding ... sorta. :]

JoeGKushner

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Wow. The move is complete then. Aside from licensing and royalty, AEG is out of the d20 publishing business.

Can't say I'm sad, other than I want my $5 reimbursement for the Rokugan material in my new Oriental Adventures.

Yeah, I'm kidding ... sorta. :]

Well, they still have Warlords and unless it's been dropped, which is possible, World's Largest City.

AscentStudios

First Post
Acid_crash said:
Yeah, I can't wait. I'm hoping you can finish your Star Wars conversion because what you have done so far is just killer. :)

I'm also hoping that you can redo Spycraft into a FantasyCraft someday. Talk about a dream come true.

Star Wars just needs some massaging of the Dark/Light side powers, as well as my blaster stats and NPC blocks to be fully playable. I'd have it done, but as you can see, I have my hands full ATM :) Speeders and other stuff will probably come sometime thereafter. But don't worry - I still intend on finishing it up as soon as I can, work, business and personal life allowing.

As for FantasyCraft - man, that's a popular request. While I'm still a little bit surprised by it, I think we may have to oblige y'all sometime :cool:

Denaes

First Post
AscentStudios said:
As for FantasyCraft - man, that's a popular request. While I'm still a little bit surprised by it, I think we may have to oblige y'all sometime :cool:

FantasyCraft seems to be split into two camps really.

One camp would like to play Spycraft with Spys and all that in a fantasy/mideval setting.

Another camp wants to use the basic rules framework, the way the feats & skills and classes are set up, but with a normal Fantasy (non-mission) feel probobly with money and items rather than the Gear/Wealth stuff.

Might be other camps, I'm not sure.

I think the former version would be best made as a suppliment for Spycraft, while the later would be best served being a complete RPG.

of course, all of this is my opinion/observations.

AscentStudios said:

[Jedi Mind Trick]

You will do it now. You will do it fast.

[/Jedi Mind Trick]

Denaes

First Post
philreed said:
I'm thinking it would work well for Thief-style games.

With little changes. In general just to the tech level of the skills, gear, feats, and a few class abilities.

For the most part, I see it being a fairly small add-on for Spycraft 2.0. Mostly notes on spying in the fantasy/mideval times & gear. Maybe alternate class levels and Expert classes.

Where I see the big project in is making a fantasy style RPG with many aspects from the SC2.0 RPG without making it a spy game. They may do it, or it may fall on someone to OGL or PBS.

Azgulor

Adventurer
Personally, I'd rather see a Powered by Spycraft treatment of sci-fi before the Fantasycraft stuff. Then, Spycraft's dominance over d20 Modern can truly begin! Bwah hah hah hah!!! :]

Azgulor

Denaes

First Post
Azgulor said:
Personally, I'd rather see a Powered by Spycraft treatment of sci-fi before the Fantasycraft stuff. Then, Spycraft's dominance over d20 Modern can truly begin! Bwah hah hah hah!!! :]

Azgulor

To really exert dominance over d20 Modern, they need to move away from the spy/mission gig. Otherwise it'll just exert dominance for sci-fi spy games and not really leave any clear choices for a "d20ish" sci-fi game.

The SC2.0 authors have thrown around a few options on their forums for non-mission based games, but thats not a selling point for exerting dominance over another game. People want their info in a book.

I think SC2.0 as-is, pushed into the future, would make a great Cyberpunk & Shadowrun RPG in the mission sense. Also the way Scotts talking about treating cybernetics, it's much more balanced within a party than many other RPGs I've seen.

Remove ads