News Digest: Controversy Abounds! New Vampire Edition Details, Green Ronin's Talent Search, 7th Sea

Hello everyone! Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! And this week is all about controversy. Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition release information (with a controversial hiring), Green Ronin is looking for female writers for Lost Citadel, International Tabletop Day may not be able to meet demand for promotional items, and more! Even this week’s Kickstarters are loaded with controversy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone! Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! And this week is all about controversy. Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition release information (with a controversial hiring), Green Ronin is looking for female writers for Lost Citadel, International Tabletop Day may not be able to meet demand for promotional items, and more! Even this week’s Kickstarters are loaded with controversy!

Okay, this is a very simple story with a very complicated background. I’m going to tell the story first this time and, if you’re not sure what’s going on, I’ll explain more in the next paragraph. White Wolf Publishing announced details about the new edition of Vampire: The Masquerade. This new fifth edition of the game will come out in early 2018 and, according to ICv2, “continue the metagame that was shaped in 2004”. This would be the sourcebook Gehenna which presented several options for the “end of the world” of the World of Darkness and the tie-in novel Gehenna: The Final Night be Ari Marmell. If these events will be rolled into the new edition in an “After the End” manner, it’s not yet known. This project began in controversy after White Wolf announced hiring Zak Smith (aka Zak Sabbath or Zak S) back in February, a man who has been accused of harassing behavior, to work on a video game. WW's response can be found here.

So some of you may be wondering where Onyx Path is in all this. They’re still around, but they’re not involved with this new edition of the game. They are, however, still creating new material for World of Darkness. But not for the new edition. Onyx Path still holds the license for the Chronicles of Darkness (which is the official name of what was called the New World of Darkness titles: Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, etc.) and they hold the license for the 20th Anniversary editions of all the World of Darkness (the official name for Old World of Darkness titles: Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, etc.). So Onyx Path is still publishing new material for both of these lines, but are NOT publishing material for the new 5th Edition of Vampire: The Masquerade.

So White Wolf was purchased by CCP Games (makers of the Eve Online franchise) who only wanted the IP rights to make a World of Darkness MMO. After many years of development, the title was finally canceled in 2014 and White Wolf plus all its assets were sold to Paradox Interactive in 2015. Late last year, Paradox Interactive spun White Wolf Publishing into its own (but fully owned) company in anticipation of publishing a new edition. At this time, the licensing deals were restructured and, when the dust settled, the licenses for Chronicles of Darkness and the 20th Anniversary versions of the original World of Darkness games were with Onyx Path and the live-action Mind’s Eye Theater remained with By Night Studios. So this is how White Wolf is coming out with a new edition at a time when Onyx Path is running a Kickstarter for a World of Darkness themed card game.

Green Ronin launched a talent search for contributors to The Lost Citadel roleplaying game, based on the fiction anthology and world developed by Jaym Gates, C.A. Suleiman, and Ari Marmell about a fantasy world in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. There is a catch, as they’re specifically accepting proposals from women. From the announcement:

In the lead-up to June’s Kickstarter for the LCRPG, we are going to be running a talent search for women who are interested in coming to work on the project. If you identify as female and dark fantasy is your jam, we want to see what you can bring to the table! Not to worry, fellas, we have some other opportunities for you coming up later in the year, as well, but this talent search is just for the ladies.

A statement was issued to further clarify that the talent search was also open to those who identify as non-binary gender. The announcement from Green Ronin General Manager Nicole Lindroos comes following a post from Green Ronin President Chris Pramas [EDIT: This post was from Green Ronin General Manager Nicole Lindroos, not Chris Pramas as original posted] speaking about his [EDIT: her] experience on a panel at the DICE Summit in Las Vegas, noting the gender discrepancy of those in the industry and those looking to break in, noting both how far the industry has come and how far it still has to go.

7th Sea promised a platform for user-created content during their wildly successful Kickstarter last year, and now they’ve delivered as Explorer’s Society is live. The online store allows users to create and sell content for the 7th Sea 2nd Edition game, including adventures, NPCs, homebrew rules, or more. There is a content guideline that acts as a license for use of the Intellectual Property, laying out exactly what you can and cannot use from published materials and in what way you’re allowed to use them (this is similar to the license for the DM’s Guild). In the week since launch, there’s already two dozen products available for purchase ranging in cost from free to Pay-What-You-Want to a set price of $3.99 for some of the adventures.

International Tabletop Day has run into a minor issue: The event is so big that they can’t keep up with demand! This is the first year that all promotional items have been released a la carte rather than as a single one-size-fits-all pack. Personally, I preferred the old way, but that’s because I live in a rural area so my local event always had more promotional items than attendees. However, retailers in more populated areas could customize their orders in order to make sure they could meet demand based on previous events. And this year, the demand was higher than ever – so much so that not everyone will be getting their products. Quoted in ICv2, Producer Ivan Van Norman said “We opened up the print sizes significantly as well with publishers, but didn’t know what to expect with the new system. After collecting all the pre-orders we can tell you that you meet and beat the expectations out of the park. Despite opening up numbers significantly, we are at 85-95% fill rate to pre-orders for almost all items for International Tabletop Day.” The only odd one out was the promotional card from Cryptozoic’s Master of Orion, which only had enough product to fill 16% of the orders and cannot be reprinted in time for the event. International Tabletop Day is on Saturday, April 29 and the official website has a locator to find the event closest to you.

Even the Kickstarters this week haven’t managed to evade controversy this week! Alternity is now on Kickstarter bringing a world of science fiction adventure. Technically speaking, however, this is not a new edition of the original Alternity game. Instead, this game takes the abandoned trademarks from the original Alternity and creates an entire new rules system inspired by the original. Some on social media criticized Sasquatch games for using the abandoned trademarks rather than creating an original property. My response: Yeah, how dare this Richard Baker and Bill Slavicsek rip off the hard work of the original Alternity creators, Richard Baker and Bill Slavicsek! And can you believe they’re letting George RR Martin write the next Song of Ice and Fire novel? But more seriously, this new game captures everything from the original Alternity with the original creators involved as they update and streamline the game system bringing in the knowledge of twenty years of advancement in the industry since the original. You can get the core rulebook in PDF for $25, a print version for $40, or a bundle of all content including stretch goals in PDF for $45 or adding on a print copy of the core rulebook for $65. This project is about halfway to its funding goal, but has until Thursday, May 4 to reach its $35,000 goal.

Now for some controversial nepotism! EN Publishing, the game design and publishing arm of EN World, is creating a book of brand new classes for the 5th Edition of “the world’s most popular roleplaying game”. Alchemist, Cardcaster, Diabolist, Feywalker, Morph, Noble, and Occultist are each detailed with multiple subclass builds (see the links for previews). In addition, the book includes new subclasses and build options for the core classes and much more. You can get the PDF version immediately at the end of the Kickstarter for a £10 (about US$13) pledge, or a print copy for £17 (about US$21) for a print copy as soon as it’s printed. This Kickstarter is fully funded and runs until Friday, May 5.

Underworld Races & Classes gives you even more options for your 5th Edition or Pathfinder games from Adventure a Week Games. What’s the controversy with promoting this one? While I’m not directly involved with this project, I am currently working with AAW Games on another project they haven’t announced yet. That said, this book is a collection of new races, classes, spells, and items all themed around the things that dwell beneath the surface of the world, thriving in the darkness. The PDF is available for $25 for your choice of edition or $45 for both with hardcover versions available for $55 or $105 for both. This Kickstarter is fully funded and runs until Friday, April 28.

That’s all from me for this week! Find more gaming news at the EN World News Network website, and don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you even more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enworldnews.com. You can follow me on Twitter @Abstruse where I’ve been ranting about the Pepsi controversy (there’s no reason not to bring back Crystal Pepsi permanently!), or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.
SaveSave
SaveSave

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Save us from the armchair lawyering, man. It's a talent contest, not an offer of employment. They know what they're doing. You'll be suing the Paralympics for discriminating against able-bodied people next. You're blowing this way out of proportion. It's a talent contest. Talent contests usually have entrance rules, unlike offers of employment.

If Green Ronin wants to be known for actively skirting Human Rights to further an ideological agenda, they are as welcome to do as I am welcome to call them out on it and make sure others are aware of GRP's disregards Human Rights set forth by the state of Washington.

You're comparison to Paralympics is quite interesting given that in a growing number of professional sports bodies, those identifying as female are competing directly beside biologic females with what some perceive as an unfair advantage. How long until gender disphoria becomes a qualifying parameter for entry into the Paralympics?

The talent contest ceases to be a talent contest as soon as, and possibly before, an employment offer is made.

Washington set up the goal posts by including gender identity as a protected status. They don't get to be moved when the biologic or identified gender is male.

Standing up for actual equality is certainly not blowing things out of proportion, tho I can understand if others disagree.

Respectfully, is it sexism that the small publishers in the industry is predominantly male? The bloggers too? I was born a male and identify as male. I love this industry, game master to a diverse group of gamers in several groups, write a blog, and have a small vanity press for PDF products.
What's the alternative?
That women just dislike gaming and are bad at writing? Does adventure and game design somehow require a penis?

If an industry is predominantly male and there's no good reason, what other explanation is there?

I have been intrigued by Tales of the Lost Citadel and have an interest in submitting a work. However, I'm not female and my gender is neither fluid or non-binary. One of Green Ronin's owners is female, shouldn't her perspective help fight sexism? Both Chris and Nicole are open-minded and good people, why an artificial constraint to find the best story?
They said there will be accepting applications from male writers later in the year. It might not be for this project, but there'll be other opportunities. So you will still likely have a chance to submit something, although maybe not explicitly for this project. And if your idea is good enough it will be accepted.

The whole point of this is to encourage women to submit by explicitly asking them to. It's saying they're not only welcome, but desired.

In the end, it's their decision with Editor of the fiction line, I'm simply disappointed in it and where I was anxiously awaiting the release of the Anthology, I'm not sure what that I will pick it up in the future.
Why?
Do you think Green Ronin will pick inferiour ideas? Do you think the authors will work any less hard? That the work by already announced authors - which previously made you excited - will be affected by these other writers?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
If Green Ronin wants to be known for actively skirting Human Rights to further an ideological agenda, they are as welcome to do as I am welcome to call them out on it and make sure others are aware of GRP's disregards Human Rights set forth by the state of Washington.

You're comparison to Paralympics is quite interesting given that in a growing number of professional sports bodies, those identifying as female are competing directly beside biologic females with what some perceive as an unfair advantage. How long until gender disphoria becomes a qualifying parameter for entry into the Paralympics?

The talent contest ceases to be a talent contest as soon as, and possibly before, an employment offer is made.

Washington set up the goal posts by including gender identity as a protected status. They don't get to be moved when the biologic or identified gender is male.

Standing up for actual equality is certainly not blowing things out of proportion, tho I can understand if others disagree.

You wouldn't happen to be a "Men's Rights" activist, would you?

And are you protesting this issue anywhere other than this particular message board?

ChapolimX

Explorer
Which is a "yes" there will be three in print (if you consider Print on Demand as "print").
But only two will have new products.

No, it is not.. Vampire: The Requiem and Vampire: The Masquerade aren't editions of the same game. They're different games with the word vampire in the name. Why people insist in calling them the same game is beyond me. So, we can say there will be 2 editions of Vampire: The Masquerade avaiable in print if you take into account the print on demand products.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

No, it is not.. Vampire: The Requiem and Vampire: The Masquerade aren't editions of the same game. They're different games with the word vampire in the name. Why people insist in calling them the same game is beyond me. So, we can say there will be 2 editions of Vampire: The Masquerade avaiable in print if you take into account the print on demand products.

Well, to be fair they are two games with "Vampire: The..." in the name. They only differ by a single word. :p

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
You wouldn't happen to be a "Men's Rights" activist, would you?

And are you protesting this issue anywhere other than this particular message board?

No, while they may have *some* valid arguments, I find that too many of them are often just as wackadoodle as their opposite counterparts.

As to your 2nd question, yes, I notified Green Ronin so they can correct their mistake if they choose to. Thats up to them to be in compliance with their state's laws.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
No, while they may have *some* valid arguments, I find that too many of them are often just as wackadoodle as their opposite counterparts.

Hmm...Yes...

As to your 2nd question, yes, I notified Green Ronin so they can correct their mistake if they choose to. Thats up to them to be in compliance with their state's laws.

So...you don't think they ran this by a lawyer before issuing the talent search? Are YOU a lawyer?

They're not identical. And I don't think I'd call "Vampire: The Requiem" the VtM third Edition. But they're the same game in the same way that D&D BECMI is the same game as Advanced D&D.
But they're both Storyteller System games where you can play a gangrel vampire who identifies itself as a Kindred and uses the Animalism power and were originally published by White Wolf. They're arguably more similar than D&D and Pathfinder.
Heck, the difference is really more one of lore. They're different campaign settings to the same game...

Sunsword

Adventurer
What's the alternative?
That women just dislike gaming and are bad at writing? Does adventure and game design somehow require a penis?

If an industry is predominantly male and there's no good reason, what other explanation is there?

They said there will be accepting applications from male writers later in the year. It might not be for this project, but there'll be other opportunities. So you will still likely have a chance to submit something, although maybe not explicitly for this project. And if your idea is good enough it will be accepted.

The whole point of this is to encourage women to submit by explicitly asking them to. It's saying they're not only welcome, but desired.

Why?
Do you think Green Ronin will pick inferiour ideas? Do you think the authors will work any less hard? That the work by already announced authors - which previously made you excited - will be affected by these other writers?

I don't see a correlation of sexism between the number of "vanity publishers" that exist throughout the industry, including Green Ronin in it's early days. I've been raised and continue to raise my family that we are all equal, regardless of gender, ethnicity, or religion. Is sexism obliterated? No. But we have much progress since the early 70's, when I was born. GR has the right to make whatever decision they like, and I am free to disagree with it.

Asking if adventure or game design require a penis doesn't even apply to my objection and is fallacy in relation to my objection. Here is my question for you? What if they opened this up to everyone and a man got the job? Would it be because GR is sexist or that the best story happened to be from a male writer?

To me, a better solution for this talent search, would be to seek out amateur writers and give someone their "big break".

You mention to me that later in the year "if your idea is good enough it will be accepted". Why is that okay later but not now? Equality is equality, it doesn't come with an asterisk. I applaud making sure to include women authors, but I don't agree with excluding male authors. If I won a contest with only male authors, I would always wonder what women authors were better than me. It would taint the win for me, because it's, to me, an unsettling and counter-productive decision.

As for my uncertainty, I think it's a poor idea, I'm disappointed in the idea and it doesn't represent my idea of equality. It makes me rethink the project, as a consumer. I'm sure some are attracted to the project because of it, and some, like myself, are put off by it. That's consequence of any decision a publisher makes. I support their right to the decision, yet it will affect how I look at their future products. I won't know if GR picked the best idea, their decision casts doubt on that, since 50% of their talent pool has been excluded.

It's obvious we are both passionate about this issue. I respect your opinion, I simply disagree with you. That's okay and I appreciate the discourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads