D&D 5E Next fiddly question on flanking

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dracorat said:
Actually, it just depends on whether the shadow reacts to him swinging his sword in the shadow's space or not. Does the shadow perceive him to be a threat? Then yes.

By the flanking rules, it doesn't depend on reactions at all.

Let's say we have a sleeping Triceratops. His AC is 4: 10 -2 (size) +5 (natural armor) -5 (effective Dex of 0) -4 (prone). With my attack bonus of +0, I need to roll a 4 to hit him. (I don't have time to make a CdG, for some reason.)

Now let's say my ally with a longsword is standing on the other side.

I'm making a melee attack against an opponent; my ally threatens him, and is directly opposite. I get a +2 bonus per the flanking rules, and I now need to roll a 2 to hit the Triceratops.

Whether the Triceratops reacts, perceives my ally as a threat, or anything else is irrelevant. Melee attack, ally directly opposite threatening, +2 bonus.

-Hyp.

werk

First Post
darthkilmor said:
You do all of those to an incorpereal foe how ?

Speaking more to the second point of the OP.

This question could also be asked of someone who has a weapon that can't possibly affect a creature due to its' DR as well, like a weak character attacking a skeleton with a dagger.

Dracorat

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
By the flanking rules, it doesn't depend on reactions at all.

Let's say we have a sleeping Triceratops. His AC is 4: 10 -2 (size) +5 (natural armor) -5 (effective Dex of 0) -4 (prone). With my attack bonus of +0, I need to roll a 4 to hit him. (I don't have time to make a CdG, for some reason.)

Now let's say my ally with a longsword is standing on the other side.

I'm making a melee attack against an opponent; my ally threatens him, and is directly opposite. I get a +2 bonus per the flanking rules, and I now need to roll a 2 to hit the Triceratops.

Whether the Triceratops reacts, perceives my ally as a threat, or anything else is irrelevant. Melee attack, ally directly opposite threatening, +2 bonus.

-Hyp.

Well, the rules do support you on this one. I guess this is why I like the facing rules. They aren't dependant on arbitrary factors like "someone being on the opposite side and threatening". You yourself, by virtue of your own positioning get a bonus and if that bonus doesn't help you to hit or harm, then so be it.

=)

Remove ads