Nezumi and their natural weapons

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Nezumi (Oriental Adventures pg. 13) have the racial ability to make unarmed attacks that do 1d4 points of normal damage with their "sharp claws and teeth." One of my players took one (a ranger) and at least two questions have arisen:

1. Do their unarmed attacks count as armed attacks with respect to attacks of opportunity? (I have cited pg 140 of the Players Handbook to rule that yes, they count as armed (and therefore generally don't provoke AoO).)

2.a. Can a nezumi with both hands full (o' cold steel) make a bite attack at no penalty? If "no," what penalties does he suffer and why?

2.b. What if the same nezumi has a buckler strapped to one arm when he tries to bite?

3. If you had to replace access to the Scent feat with something, what would it be?

- Ketjak

DevoutlyApathetic

First Post
Check out the latest dragon, the one with the article about Saurials for information on PC's with natural attacks using weapons and what not. I can't remember what the end result of it was, but the (semi) offical ruling is there.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Ketjak said:
Nezumi (Oriental Adventures pg. 13) have the racial ability to make unarmed attacks that do 1d4 points of normal damage with their "sharp claws and teeth." One of my players took one (a ranger) and at least two questions have arisen:

1. Do their unarmed attacks count as armed attacks with respect to attacks of opportunity? (I have cited pg 140 of the Players Handbook to rule that yes, they count as armed (and therefore generally don't provoke AoO).)

You are correct, sir.

2.a. Can a nezumi with both hands full (o' cold steel) make a bite attack at no penalty? If "no," what penalties does he suffer and why?

If the only attack he makes is his bite, then there are no penalties. If he wants to sword/sword/bite, well - he might need Multidexterity and/or Multiattack instead of the Ambi/TWF he gets from the Ranger class.

2.b. What if the same nezumi has a buckler strapped to one arm when he tries to bite?

No penalty - he's not attacking with a weapon in the buckler hand.

3. If you had to replace access to the Scent feat with something, what would it be?

Why would you want to do that?

I'd give them free Track and/or Alertness.

J

Ketjak

Malicious GM
Re: Re: Nezumi and their natural weapons

Thanks for the replies!

drnuncheon said:

[Snip "With what would you replace Scent feat access for the nezumi?"]

Why would you want to do that?

I'd give them free Track and/or Alertness.

J

That is the reason why. The Scent special ability (unchanged when taken as a feat) is very powerful when taken as a feat. I'm letting the player keep it without mdification, since it was so central to the action in his first session, but I've restricted it for others until I can see this one in action.

I'm leaning toward allowing it in subsequent characters, since a) I'd break nezumi if I did and I'd have to fix it acceptably and b) with my mind more open it was more accessible and limited than I perceived. My old-school DM mindset generally frowns on AWACS systems, lots of treasure, and powerful player characters.

However, it's still a very good feat - better than Alertness (it effectively negates surprise) and better than Track (in a dungeon).

- Ketjak

SpikeyFreak

First Post
You really should pick up the latest Dragon mag, the one with wilderness goodies.

It has a rather large sidebar about attack with natural weapons, both with and without normal weapons.

--Barbaric Spikey

drnuncheon

Explorer
Actually, now that I'm home with my books, you don't need the latest Dragon at all. Nezumi do not get multiple attacks with natural weapons - just one attack (which can be claw orbite) for 1d4.

I would allow a nezumi ranger to get two unarmed attacks, though. (Actually, I'd allow any nezumi to get two unarmed attacks, using the normal PC rules for such as opposed to any "monster" rules from the MM.)

J

Remove ads