Night Hag Item and Player Usage

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
I am sure this has been asked somewhere...but cannot find it.

In my current campaign I have 4 very interesting players...who like to grab and later try to figure out anything and everything...and...knowing they will be facing a Coven of Night Hags soon leads me to ask if the following 3 items could be used by player characters...

F.Y.I. I also ask this because one of the characters is a warlock with Baba Yaga as her patron...in my mind she and she alone would be able to use these items...on top of that...what could the Soul Bag be used for...an evil Bag of Holding?
Allows her to summon the spirit to heal or attack?! The other two items are pretty straight forward...

[FONT=&quot]Hag Eye (Coven Only): [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A hag coven can craft a magic item called a Hag Eye, which is made from a real eye coated in varnish and often fitted to a pendant or other wearable item. The Hag Eye is usually entrusted to a minion for safekeeping and transport. A hag in the coven can take an action to see what the Hag Eye sees if the Hag Eye is on the same plane of existence. A Hag Eye has AC 10, 1 hit point, and Darkvision with a radius of 60 feet. If it is destroyed, each coven member takes 3d10 psychic damage and is Blinded for 24 hours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A hag coven can have only one Hag Eye at a time, and creating a new one requires all three members of the coven to perform a ritual. The ritual takes 1 hour, and the hags can't perform it while Blinded. During the ritual, if the hags take any action other than performing the ritual, they must start over.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Night Hag Items: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A night hag carries two very rare Magic Items that she must craft for herself If either object is lost, the night hag will go to great lengths to retrieve it, as creating a new tool takes time and effort.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Heartstone: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This lustrous black gem allows a night hag to become ethereal while it is in her possession. The touch of a Heartstone also cures any disease. Crafting a Heartstone takes 30 days.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Soul Bag: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When an evil humanoid dies as a result of a night hag's Nightmare Haunting, the hag catches the soul in this black sack made of stitched flesh. A Soul Bag can hold only one evil soul at a time, and only the night hag who crafted the bag can catch a soul with it. Crafting a Soul Bag takes 7 days and a humanoid sacrifice (whose flesh is used to make the bag).[/FONT]

MarkB

Legend
Hag Eye: I'd say it's fundamentally tied to the coven, and the characters couldn't use that particular eye. But they might find ingredients and information within the coven's sanctum that would allow them to craft their own, if they procure a suitable eyeball. It works exactly as it does for the coven - it's shared between three characters, no more or less, all of whom must be attuned to it, and the penalties for its destruction will apply. But as a bonus, if they use the eyeball of a creature with special visual perception it will replicate those abilities. So, for instance, it could be a cheap way to give a character the equivalent of Goggles of Night, with some extra flexibilities rolled in.

The Heartstone: Feels much too personal to the Night Hag to be easily accessible to anyone else - i.e. I don't even think a Night Hag could use another Night Hag's Heartstone. However, perhaps a portion of its powers could be captured by using it as a component for crafting a magic item.

Soul Bag: That's a plot hook waiting to happen. Whose soul is in there, and what happens when it gets out?

Iry

Hero
Hag Eye - Not unless the player is a Hag. If they are, they are welcome to start a coven and use it.
Hearthstone - Ethereal? No. Cure Disease? Sure.
Soul Bag - No, but there might be a viable soul in the bag at the time of acquisition. What the players do with that is a great plot hook.

Remove ads