D&D 5E No Living Statues in 5E?

Arcshot

First Post
I'm using BECMI modules with 5E rules and one monster frequently appears in adventures: Living Statues. It can come in various types, eg Jade Statue, Steel Statue etcI'm rather surprised that 5E MM has no creature that represents Living Statues. I thought they should be rather common in dungeon adventures and such. Any suggestion of available creature stats to use as Living Statues?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'd probably use Animated Armor for low-level statues, moving up to the golems (minus a lot of the magical abilities) for stronger ones.

I used this in one of my campaigns. Enjoy:

Living Iron Statue
Large construct, unaligned
Armor Class 19 (natural armor)
Hit Points 42 (4d10 + 20)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
18 (+4) 9 (−1) 20 (+5) 3 (−4) 11 (+0) 1 (−5)
Damage Immunities poison, psychic;
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, and poisoned
Special Defenses: bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons do normal damage. If the living iron statue is struck with a nonmagical metal weapon the attacker must make a DC 15 STR save or the weapon becomes stuck in the body of the living iron statue. The weapon is retrievable when the statue is killed.
Senses dark vision 120 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can’t speak
Challenge 3 (700 XP)

Actions
Multiattack. The living iron statue makes two slam attacks.
Slam. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: (1d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I'd also suggest a non flying gargoyle.

But truthfully, just look through all the monsters of the appropriate CR you are aiming for and have reskinning in mind.

If I wanted just a big beast of a statue I would just pick the stats for an Ogre and go with it. I might add in immunities/resistances if I needed it to feel even more statuey.

If I wanted a swarm of smaller statues I would go with orcs, or hobgoblins or whatever.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Oddly enough, Living Statues were never part of the AD&D Monster Manuals - Golems may have come close enough. (Likewise there is no AD&D Thoul). They never made it into the Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix, either!

Cheers!

Oddly enough, Living Statues were never part of the AD&D Monster Manuals - Golems may have come close enough. (Likewise there is no AD&D Thoul). They never made it into the Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix, either!

Cheers!

There are several cool monsters I have adapted to 5E that only appeared in Basic. Living Statues, Thouls, Robber Flies, Rhagodessa, Magen, Nagpa, Soul Eater, Devil Swine. I never got the 2E Mystara stuff so I don't know what was in there.

Arcshot

First Post
Found this at Mystara Reborn Facebook, posted by Glen Welch. Thought u might be interested.
The Thoul is kind of an oddball to me. It is hard to define an origin of the creature combining properties of an undead ghoul and a hobgoblin. Why do they appear in the midst of hobgoblin population?

image.jpg

Arcshot

First Post
Thanks guys. I am looking at Animated armor, golems and shield guardians as alternatives (with a little modification) for Living Statues. Seriously 5e should include them. Isn't it the case PCs will exclaim most of the time when they come into a room with statues, saying "I bet they will come alive!"

Remove ads