No longer his circus, no longer his monkeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I wish he'd behaved in this manner before and without having to quit.

My personal read of this is that he'd actually been *trying*, and some segments of the party are tired of him getting in the way or their attempts to do otherwise. I expect the writing was on the wall that the next time he tried to be reasonable, they'd have forced him out (probably over Planned Parenthood, in this case). So, he decided to resign, which allows him at least one last hurrah of being as reasonable as he can be - there's a funding bill apt to pass tomorrow, if I heard the radio correctly today.

That pushes out the funding question until December. And I think that's tactical. Pushed that much closer to the elections, it may make a shutdown less politically expedient. A shutdown would raise the very narrow base, but cheese off *everyone else*. Do that too close to elections (over the holiday season, no less), and it may become a hindrance, not a boost overall. So, if the relevant folks try for it anyway, they may shoot themselves in the collective foot, electorally speaking.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Hey you spell like I do. :p

It really takes two sides for those shutdowns. So if either side can just run over the other it wouldn't happen. And maybe we can get rid of that not introduce a bill that could pass because politics clown act can be thrown out with both chamber leaders soon to be replaced.

Hey, still in the chicken industry?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah. As I understand the dynamic, the "Freedom Caucus" had decided they didn't like the guy, and were going to not vote for him. He might have been able to get the position, but with a small enough margin that his position would not be secure.

In short, the Freedom Caucus is, in essence, holding the operation of the House hostage. But, they are known to support measure like shutting down the government when they don't get their way.

One author I read today suggested that the more moderate Repulbicans could, in fact, form a coalition with some Democrats to elect someone to lead the House. I suspect his would probably be good for the nation, but not so hot for the re-election prospects of the people who did it.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
One author I read today suggested that the more moderate Repulbicans could, in fact, form a coalition with some Democrats to elect someone to lead the House. I suspect his would probably be good for the nation, but not so hot for the re-election prospects of the people who did it.

That scenario has popped up before under Obama, but hasn't happened. I'll believe it when I'll see it. It would lead to a split among Republicans and I'm not sure the fruit is ripe for that.

It's like a Democrat's wet dream. Bipartisanship in the House! But what does it mean when your dream is imagining the girl you like getting a beating from her boyfriend so that she'll fall in love with you? Sounds rather bleak to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads