D&D General No More "Humans in Funny Hats": Racial Mechanics Should Determine Racial Cultures

MGibster

Legend
I can't think of a single PC race in D&D that isn't just a human with a funny hat but I don't see that as a bad thing. The truth is that I could replace just about any race in D&D with human and tell the exact same story. But the game is a fantasy so I get to replace humans with other people like halflings or orcs.

Remathilis

Legend
"When you add elements to a setting without consideration for the story you wish to tell, the story you wind up telling will be drastically different."
-Steampunkette-

What a profound quote! And the person quoted, so stylish, wise, and dedicated!

More seriously: Some people have a story they want to tell. A story that they think a setting should carry. So adding everything there is to the setting isn't conducive to that. Fortunately you can make your "Kitchen Sink" setting while I make my carefully curated setting, and we can both take inspiration from the other for various ideas and situations while maintaining what we, personally, want from the game.
That's one of the few ENworld quotes I've saved from before the crash for moments like this. @barsoomcore hit the nail on the head for me. Ymmv.

That said, I have nothing against walled garden games. I have a problem with the two corolaries that come up when discussing them.

1) they are inherently better than a kitchen sink
2) D&D's rules should cater to this by keeping everything DIY, generic, and limited and it's the role of supplements to add all the necessary connective tissue.

But this is a tangent so if you want to discuss the merits of walled garden vs kitchen sink, we can do that elsewhere.

One more thing:

"I'm inherently suspicious of people who quote themselves As if they were a third party." - Remathilis

...who are YOU calling, "you people"?!?!?!"

Oh, Elves? Nevermind. Totally cool. Carry on!

2091909090752306602efe61df49caf95df8f13d.gif

I am an elf. I am a 24 hour party person. I like to cruise and swing successfully in tight slacks.

You never need to sleep, because of TRANCE

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
I can't think of a single PC race in D&D that isn't just a human with a funny hat but I don't see that as a bad thing. The truth is that I could replace just about any race in D&D with human and tell the exact same story. But the game is a fantasy so I get to replace humans with other people like halflings or orcs.
Thri-Kreen.

Created from the start to have an alien mindset, to be a hunting animal with humanlike intelligence and a wildly different culture.

The result is: Most players either play them as a Human with a Funny Hat and a fixation on a few words that describe their cultural identity. Clutch being a key one.

And those who -do- play the wildly different from human alien psychology are incredibly hard to play with. Both from a player to player perspective (Talking to someone who does their best to have no shared frame of reference) and from a player to DM perspective (It is super hard to get a Thri-Kree that is sincerely alien to do anything to carry the story forward).

The most we can reasonably do is do "Humans" with different cultural traits and identities. In short: Different hats.

But as noted in the previous thread: You can do a -lot- of hats.

Lifespan as a narrative trait/outlook.
Types of Vision and resulting societal/technological changes.
Cultural traits lifted from real world societies rearranged mad-libs style.
Height differences and the resulting architectural differences.

On and on and on and on.

The issue comes from the players. How many hats they're willing to keep track of. Most are happy with 2-3 hats. -Maybe- 4 or 5.

But once there's more Hat than Elf under it, once it becomes a new psychology, it becomes incredibly hard to keep it all together.

That's one of the few ENworld quotes I've saved from before the crash for moments like this. @barsoomcore hit the nail on the head for me. Ymmv.

That said, I have nothing against walled garden games. I have a problem with the two corolaries that come up when discussing them.

1) they are inherently better than a kitchen sink
2) D&D's rules should cater to this by keeping everything DIY, generic, and limited and it's the role of supplements to add all the necessary connective tissue.

But this is a tangent so if you want to discuss the merits of walled garden vs kitchen sink, we can do that elsewhere.

One more thing:

"I'm inherently suspicious of people who quote themselves As if they were a third party." - Remathilis
1) They -are- inherently better than kitchen sink settings... at telling a specific story. Which is what the people who tout them as being better than pretty much always portray.

2) I haven't really run into that. I believe you, of course, our experiences differ, there... But doesn't a "DIY Generic" setup -benefit- the Kitchen Sink setting way more than the Walled Garden?

If I'm making a walled garden I want -specific- things that fit into it. Having a gummy paste of bland melange doesn't really work. But that simpleness of narrative lends itself well in settings which don't have a particular narrative to carry forward... Doesn't it?

Or, perhaps, it doesn't benefit anyone, since the Kitchen Sink relies on external narrative sources and the Walled Garden has no issue overwriting something they don't like to fit something they do like into their setting... like Athasian Elves being -vastly- different from the elves of other settings.

I think the bland melange is just WotC's way of trying to avoid controversy in the most basic and corporate way possible: Make everything flavorless and hope no one complains about the spice.

Rather than, y'know, giving things their own flavor -without- the loaded real world politics tied to it in order to make a truly exceptional dish.

I repeat my citation of the 1e PHB from the other thread:

All of the non-human or part-human races closely resemble humans in many aspects. It is assumed that similarities are sufficiently apparent so as to warrant no further comment, and only special racial characteristics which are dissimilar to humans will be dealt with. Characters differ slightly within their respective races as a whole.

Undrave

Legend
I dislike kitchen sink settings because they're disjointed, like a meandering stroll through an amusement park of gonzo. Step right up and see yer elven cowboys! Experience the thrill of halfling dinosaur riders! Dare you to gaze upon the cybernetic dwarf stronghold?
Just because everything is available to the player doesn't meant it's all there in the setting. And just because there's lots of stuff in the setting, doesn't meant they're all in the same place. The lone Dino Rider could be far from home.

Yaarel

He Mage
@AcererakTriple6

Well said original post!

I realize I have been doing this to make the elves feel less like humans.

The emphasis on their concept as an innately magical people, and on the mechanics of their magical traits, helps them feel nonhuman. But just as important, their entire cultures are magical. They solve all problems by means of magic. Every aspect of their culture trains, celebrates, and rewards magic.

A culture that is of magic, by magic, and for magic, makes the elves feel "other".

In 5e, when it comes to character creation you have three groups. Let's replace the terms race, class, and background with Groups A, B, and C, respectively. In terms of design, if those groups were all concentric circles, how large should each one be, and how much should they overlap? Right now, Group B is by the far the largest, and had considerable overlap with Groups A and C. Ability score increases come mostly from B, but can also come from A. Skill proficiencies come from B and C, but can also come from A. Cantrips/spells mostly come from B, but can also come from A.

So to make race more distinctive, you don't need to make it a larger circle necessarily, but just have it overlap less with class (and background). The current logic for race is that you can simulate the archetype by using features of the game that are available to other circles (class and background)--ASI, skill, armor, and weapon proficiencies, and cantrips. But this actually makes them less distinctive at the table. Instead, to make them distinctive, race should be given abilities that cannot be gained from the other areas.

Remove ads