D&D 4E No more reprints of the 4E core books?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
It will be interesting to see if this is corroborated at GenCon.

Magic the Gathering post: Exclusive: Wizards Not Reprinting Core Dungeons & Dragons Books | ManaNation.com

ManaNation has received a tip that Wizards of the Coast has decided to end the print run of the Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Core Handbooks, instead aiming to turn the game in the direction of “Dungeons and Dragons Essentials”, a product to be released later this year. The first product for the Essentials line is starting with the ‘Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy Roleplaying Game’ also being called ‘the Red Box’ and is due to be released on Sept. 7th, 2010.
It is our understanding that they are not going to be reprinting any of the three main books, the Players Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide and Monster Manual from this point on to allow them to be phased out. No other books have been mentioned.

Thanlis

Explorer
Timely rumor, given that the usual suspects have been flogging the idea that WotC never ever did a second print run of the core books. This is a nice angle on that one, certainly seems plausible enough on the face of it, and doesn't have a shred of evidence behind it. The article doesn't even commit: "ManaNation has received a tip" and "It is our understanding". I've heard more confident reporting.

Might be true, might not be true, but I'm not going to lose sleep over an unsourced article on a Magic: the Gathering site.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Yeah, when a Magic site says they "received a tip," it's best taken with a grain of salt. But to me, it does have the ring of authenticity, given what WotC is trying to accomplish with Essentials and what makes sense as a business.

Doh!

Just posted the same thing. We must have been typing at the same time.

No prob - that's what Mod powers are for. :)

ggroy

First Post
It would be nice to know who the sources are.

- Are any rpg game distributors saying this?
- Did a WotC D&D employee say this "off the record" ?

Remove ads