• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No more WotC Star Wars - announcement

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Can we begin speculating on who will (or should) get the SW RPG license next? :)

With no movies or movie re-releases on the horizon (that I know about, anyway), I'm not sure the license would be that valuable a commodity for any but the largest game companies out there considering that it's probably wickedly expensive.

coyote6

Adventurer
With no movies or movie re-releases on the horizon (that I know about, anyway), I'm not sure the license would be that valuable a commodity for any but the largest game companies out there considering that it's probably wickedly expensive.

There is the MMO coming (as pukunui mentioned), and since Avatar, there have been rumors about the once-promised third trilogy. Who knows.

I'm sure there will probably be a few queries headed out soon, though. :)

First question:

Which rpg companies are loaded with cash to afford such a license from Lucasfilm, besides WotC.

Mongoose?
Fantasy Flight?
White Wolf?
Paizo?

Paizo and White Wolf, I doubt; neither seem terribly interested in licenses or SW-styled games.

Mongoose seems to have gotten off the license train (no more B5, no more Conan, etc.).

Fantasy Flight -- maybe, I don't know. Their only current RPG licenses are Games Workshop-related.

The current licensed game king seems to be Cubicle 7 -- Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings. Could they handle another huge license, though?

There's Green Ronin -- not sure if they'd be interested, though. Dragon Age, Song of Ice & Fire, True20, M&M, whatever else they've got up their collective sleeves -- lot of things to juggle.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
End of an Era.

Though I'm not completely surprised.

It seemed WotC commitment to it has been slowly waning for some time. Updates to the Star Wars page had gotten so rare that weeks could go by without something new. The Ask the Jedi section (or whatever it was called) has only had maybe two articles in the last year. I am glad though, that they were able to complete the online Adventure Path before they decided to fold.

Saga wasn't perfect, but I'm glad I've got a copy of the core rules book. I think it's a pretty good system. Went a long way toward making a "cinematic" version of D20 Modern/Future. It will probably be my core rules system of choice for Modern and Sci-Fi type games for quite a while.

:(

Is that the kind of game you want, a more universal, Saga like game using /Talents and Feats that can cross the spectrum of genre's?

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Is that the kind of game you want, a more universal, Saga like game using /Talents and Feats that can cross the spectrum of genre's?

To be honest, Saga is pretty universal as is. One of my friends has been adapting it into a Mass Effect style game - remove the Jedi class, change Force to Biotics, remove a couple force powers like the mind control ones. He's having a blast so far, and says the actual number of changes he needs to make is relatively small.

As for Force powers, the big issue was Skill Focus and Move Object. If you restrict Skill Focus: UTF until level 6-ish and use the optional rules for Move Object that were in Jedi Academy Training Manual, it patches things up rather nicely.

Don't get me wrong - SWSE had it's flaws. But overall, I loved it.

Uzzy

First Post
Well, that's pretty much the end of me giving money to WoTC. I'll be picking up these last few books for a truly awesome system, and that'll be that. Shame really. Saga rocked.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
To be honest, Saga is pretty universal as is. One of my friends has been adapting it into a Mass Effect style game - remove the Jedi class, change Force to Biotics, remove a couple force powers like the mind control ones. He's having a blast so far, and says the actual number of changes he needs to make is relatively small.

As for Force powers, the big issue was Skill Focus and Move Object. If you restrict Skill Focus: UTF until level 6-ish and use the optional rules for Move Object that were in Jedi Academy Training Manual, it patches things up rather nicely.

Don't get me wrong - SWSE had it's flaws. But overall, I loved it.

How about taking the great things about Saga Edition but taking it to the next step in a universal, generic rules set so you can play it with pretty much any genre you want?

Remove ads