D&D General No Resurrections in the Bronze Age

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
They've found cocoa beans in some of the older pyramids. There are indications that there was at least minimal interaction completely around the world.
If any existed, that would mean the Chinese got paper from Mesoamerican contact. n_n

Agreed with Charlaquin, but also:

3) The value of a given diamond is going to fluctuate on market rates. A 500gp diamond could be 3 karat or 30 karat depending on availability.
Personally, I don't think market forces are or should be relevant in this case. Which is to say, for identify you need a white, AAA, 7mm pearl. Now, that might cost 50gp from the halfling pearl divers at the coast. Or, 100gp from the pearl and jade exchange in the market. Or, 200gp a month's journey inland. But if it's not AAA (95% free of defect) and 7mm in diameter it won't work. A steel grey pearl might help you identify metallic items easier, however.

For something like raise dead, it might not be a diamond, but a 500-1000gp tithe to the temple. Or, 500gp to have the temple set up the ritual go on a mystical journey into the underworld. You recognize Apil-Shadad from the brewery playing the role of the Dread Gatekeeper at the cave entrance, but as you go further in things become more mystical. If successful, you find where the priests hid the body, and, if the gods favor you in this liminal space, your friend stands up and walks out with you.

It strikes me that the key part isn't the diamond, but something appropriately mythic ("diamonds are forever"), with a non-trivial cost, that requires some forethought if you want to do the ritual "in the field" as it were.

Or, this is a feature and not a bug. Be careful and don't die.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Personally, I don't think market forces are or should be relevant in this case. Which is to say, for identify you need a white, AAA, 7mm pearl. Now, that might cost 50gp from the halfling pearl divers at the coast. Or, 100gp from the pearl and jade exchange in the market. Or, 200gp a month's journey inland. But if it's not AAA (95% free of defect) and 7mm in diameter it won't work. A steel grey pearl might help you identify metallic items easier, however.

For something like raise dead, it might not be a diamond, but a 500-1000gp tithe to the temple. Or, 500gp to have the temple set up the ritual go on a mystical journey into the underworld. You recognize Apil-Shadad from the brewery playing the role of the Dread Gatekeeper at the cave entrance, but as you go further in things become more mystical. If successful, you find where the priests hid the body, and, if the gods favor you in this liminal space, your friend stands up and walks out with you.

It strikes me that the key part isn't the diamond, but something appropriately mythic ("diamonds are forever"), with a non-trivial cost, that requires some forethought if you want to do the ritual "in the field" as it were.

Or, this is a feature and not a bug. Be careful and don't die.
Sure. It's a way to handle it.

But is an material component or focus purely a game mechanic or is it meant to be narrative? The question becomes whether narrative bends to mechanics, or mechanics bend to narrative. And, almost invariably, WotC has shown that narrative bends to mechanics.

Which is why EVERY setting now has "The Weave", even though Mystra only made it in Forgotten Realms. Dark Sun's Psionics? Why they tap into the Weave the same as Arcane and also Divine Magic! Because gods cannot grant power to the faithful without the Weave. And Nature can't grant power to Druids without the Weave.

Honestly, it's more annoyance than acceptance on my part that I brought up item number 3. Though I long for the day one of my players tries to cast a spell only to have it fail because Ea Nasir sold them bad copper...

so1qppafubj91.png

Anyway, yeah. Venting finished!

Remove ads