D&D 5E No stat minima for spells?

ccooke

Adventurer
The benefits of mage armour do not stack with armour proficiency, right? So the build is equally effective with half-orcs!

Your Dwarf wizard can now wear half plate. Who needs mage armor!
As soon as he can prepare two spells, he will wear both mage armour and half plate. For added protection, you see.
When he explains this, he will tap his nose as if sharing a clever trick.

I'm thinking Folk Hero for a background.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
No more extra spells for high int our i am miss something ?

High int doesn't let you cast more spells but does let you prepare more spells - so much greater versatility especially at lower level.

At 1st level: A 6-11 Int wizard gets to prepare 1 spell (assuming a 1 spell minimum).

An 18 Int wizard gets to prepare 5.

Halivar

First Post
High int doesn't let you cast more spells but does let you prepare more spells - so much greater versatility especially at lower level.
So you can prepare them, but not cast them? :p

I kid. Yes, you can cast more spells. Extra prepared slots = extra spells castable.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As soon as he can prepare two spells, he will wear both mage armour and half plate. For added protection, you see.
When he explains this, he will tap his nose as if sharing a clever trick.

I'm thinking Folk Hero for a background.
Though he's a sacrelige to me in so many ways (Dwarf Wizard? Arcane casting in armour?), this Dwarf sounds like my kind of character! :)

Lan-"his hammer might be a cantrip, but my longsword is a 5th-level finisher"-efan

Dausuul

Legend
I kid. Yes, you can cast more spells. Extra prepared slots = extra spells castable.
You get more prepared spells, not more spell slots.

5E does not use traditional Vancian casting. It's a Vancian/spontaneous hybrid. In 3E terms, you're a sorceror with the option to change your list of spells known once per day. Higher Intelligence means you get more spells known, but your number of spell slots stays the same.

Jeph

Explorer
Hm, nixing stat minima really opens up multicalss opportunities (by lessening MAD). As long as you kinda avoid spells that require attack rolls or saves.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Hm, nixing stat minima really opens up multicalss opportunities (by lessening MAD). As long as you kinda avoid spells that require attack rolls or saves.

Fraid not - at least per RAW.

While there are no minimum stat requirements to begin a class, there are requirements to multiclass into a new one (P.56 of the Basic rules) and you must meet both the requirements for your current class and the one you wish to take. Don't know what those requirements are yet as they will be in the PHB.

Remove ads