• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Non-magical shields and arms slots

Larrin

Entropic Good
this is my previous reply to a similar question:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4t...ds-can-you-use-them-together.html#post4816046

The whole thread will likely help you come to your own conclusion, my claim is that non-magic items cannot take up magic item slots, and that non-magic shield + magic bracers is a perfectly legitimate lifestyle. I also believe magic shield + magic bracers can function as either non-magic shield + magic bracers OR magic shield _non-magic bracers (which do nothing), depending on what order you arm them.

Sanzuo

First Post
^^Beaten

No, you can wear and benefit from a non-magical shield while you are wearing a magical arms slot item. You can also wear a magical shield and magical arms slot item at the same time but you only get the magical benefits of one of them. You always get the shield's AC bonus regardless.

Dan'L

First Post
If it helps, think of the "slots" kind of like chakras. They're key spots on your anatomy where specific spiritual/magical forces can channel and flow, and be manipulated and harnessed for various effects. But only so much energy can flow through any one given slot, so cannot power more than one magical item.

-Dan'L

interwyrm

First Post
Thanks. I see the idea that you can't thrown about on the charop forums quite a bit and it seemed wrong. I generally trust enworld's judgment on the rules more.

DracoSuave

First Post
^^Beaten

No, you can wear and benefit from a non-magical shield while you are wearing a magical arms slot item. You can also wear a magical shield and magical arms slot item at the same time but you only get the magical benefits of one of them. You always get the shield's AC bonus regardless.

The restriction on magic item slots has nothing to do with shields. You can heft a shield and an arms-slot magic item provided there's no physical limitation preventing you. It just so happens that magic shield items are arms-slot magic items, but non-magical shields are not arms-slot magic items, because they are not magical.

The reason you can't normally heft a non-magic shield and a magic shield at the same time is simply common sense and a physical limitation. Two shields can't be on the same arm (no kidding!) and most fighter-types don't want to go into battle with two shields on both arms.

However, that doesn't make it impossible. You could make a Swordmage build using a Spiked Shield on one arm, and a large shield on the other, and pretend you're Rygar and yo-yo that stuff up. And that would be rediculousawesome.

Perhaps not CharOp, but cool none-the-less.

Sanzuo

First Post
The restriction on magic item slots has nothing to do with shields. You can heft a shield and an arms-slot magic item provided there's no physical limitation preventing you. It just so happens that magic shield items are arms-slot magic items, but non-magical shields are not arms-slot magic items, because they are not magical.

Isn't that what I just said? :hmm:

Goumindong

First Post
If it helps, think of the "slots" kind of like chakras. They're key spots on your anatomy where specific spiritual/magical forces can channel and flow, and be manipulated and harnessed for various effects. But only so much energy can flow through any one given slot, so cannot power more than one magical item.

-Dan'L

By FAQ yes, by RAW you only get the benefit of one item worn on your arm, magical or no.

Shields also make any class that can use them much better off using them with a one handed weapon with little to no differentiation when using arm slot items and a shield.

Steve Jung

Explorer
By FAQ yes, by RAW you only get the benefit of one item worn on your arm, magical or no.

Shields also make any class that can use them much better off using them with a one handed weapon with little to no differentiation when using arm slot items and a shield.
I disagree. Why do you say otherwise?
Player's Handbook said:
page 224
Magic Item Categories
These are called item slots, and they provide a practical limit to the number of magic items you can wear and use. You can benefit from only one magic item that you wear in your arms slot even if, practically speaking, you can wear bracers and carry a shield at the same time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads