D&D 4E Notes from the 4E Corebooks: Alignment, Monsters, Artifacts and More

Oni

First Post
Blackeagle said:
I doubt it. Wizards bought TSR lock stock and barrel in 1997. As far as I'm aware, they got all of TSR's assets. Wizards even published the 2e MM from 1997 until 3e came out in 2000. If they didn't have the rights to the art, they couldn't have done that.

I'd just like to point out that WotC may or may not own rights to any given piece of artwork. Often book publishers buy only specific types of rights and future or alternate uses of artwork will may need to be renegotiated with the individual artists depending on the original contract for any given piece. When, where, and how often artwork can be used can often be a more complicated issue than it seems.

malraux

First Post
pukunui said:
Emphasis on "some". I seem to recall some particularly atrocious color artwork in that very same book (eg. the gith pics).
Or the mimic, or the roper, or the cloaker. And that ignores the illustrations that look stupid because the underlying monster is kinda dumb. Lycanthropic sea wolf, crab man and catoblepas, I'm looking at you.

arscott

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Perhaps...but it still seems odd for me. I can't remember a single piece of artwork being recycled from one edition of D&D to another before...barring the half edition change of 3.5, of course, which is not really a complete edition change.
I did occur though:

3e Monster Manual sahuagin
Cover for The Sea Devils , a 2e supplement.

Sojorn

First Post
Baron Opal said:
Interesting.

"Good" = NG + CG
"Evil" = LE + NE
It's not quite that simple apparently.

Archons, who can be seen here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4ex/20080521a
are described as what can only be considered Lawful in 3rd edition. They're disciplined, efficient, intelligent soldiers.

They also happen to be chaotic evil.

Clearly it is perfectly possible to have someone that was Lawful Evil in 3rd edition be Chaotic Evil in 4th. Now I REALLY want to know what they fully defined CE as.

Remove ads