Novas and Workdays, Big Fights and Little Fights

pemerton

Legend
The DM decides if an encounter is a Big Fight or a Little Fight. That determines what powers/resources PC's have available, and lets them know the scale/scope of the fight.
This is something which I think would bother me.

<snip>

If my character has a resource I can use, I feel I should be able to use that resource when I want to choose to use it; not have the game mode dictate to me whether or not I can use it.
In HeroWars/Quest, the GM decides whether to use Simple or Complex conflict resolution, but the resources the players have available don't differ from one to the other (though the intricacies of the resolution mechanics do change).

In Burning Wheel, player resources do change between simple and complex resolution, but the players as well as the GM can call for complex rather than simple resolution. And therefore choose when they want to deploy those more intricate resources.

Lesson: different allocations of GM and player power over complexity can suit different suites and configurations of player resources.

Tovec

Explorer
This is going to be a long post... sorry but not TL;DR, if its too long just skip it I guess :p Trust me, I cut what I could.
Alternatively if you and your players want a highly tactical barroom brawl, it can be a Big Fight- it will just be more time consuming to resolve.

In general, I would map Big Fight more to 'fight where the NPC has tactics substantially beyond 'hit them' and the PC's have a high chance of having prepped specifically for this fight'.
But that is my point. With all your examples the same general premise is there as with what you say right here. A big fight is where the combat uses resources beyond the simple; ALL my combats are like that. Or at least they all have the potential to be like that. I don't see what your suggested rules do for that. Perhaps your rules are helpful in defining for the players when something is significant or making sure they don't blow their big guns too soon but that has never really been a big problem for my players. They typically know when something is important enough to warrant a fireball. I've never run a 4e game so I don't know if this is more present there.

The problem is that with mine there would be no little fights, as you are describing it here. And yet there would be almost no big fights as you described it earlier. As I said before all my fights are potentially fatal; an aspect I enjoy about the game. Just last week my solo player fell to two hobgoblins in a sewer. It was a fight that he was supposed to walk through and it wasn't even the "boss fight" of the adventure. But it happened and it was a potential outcome all along. Now, from there I have a number of resources to continue on, but that is what makes it more interesting. Indeed the player could have used any number of his limited use abilities (or rather items) to have that fight turn out differently. The option was always there for him to use his 'nova' power and walk out alive. He didn't use it and now (after a series of unfortunate rolls) he isn't walking out alive.

I say all that because this additional would have done absolutely nothing except hinder him. That little fight turned out badly for him and having my saying it was a little fight would have meant that he couldn't use those tricks he had acquired.

Are you saying these rules would need to be substantially different from the current set of 4e rules, or that you need rules for defining the abilities used in a Big Fight? I would certainly expect those powers to be defined completely in the rule set, rather than built out from it. Certainly there needs to be much more detailed rules to balance the two types of encounter- this is obviously more a sketch of an idea that seemed to have potential than anything. I can understand feeling that you would need to know more specifics to judge the merits of the idea, but I don't really have any for you, unfortunately.
No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that you propose a system similar to 4e's AEDU. 4e has rules for AEDU but 5e doesn't. As this thread is on the 5e board I assumed you meant for 5e to come up with them. The problem I see is that in so doing most of the book would be needed to create the framework and balance of 4e's AEDU or else it isn't working at all.

The other problem is that a lot of people who liked 4e's AEDU liked it because of its balance. Now, you could remove that balance in favour of less rules on how 5e's AEDU would work to make more space in the book, or focus less on the balance that other people (non-4e) disliked about the game but then you haven't satisfied either camp.

'always available' was maybe a poor choice of words; maybe 'have traditionally always been available prior to 4e' would maybe be better. I would certainly include in that single-use or limited use magic items or limited use gear (caltrops, etc.). The idea is that during the small fights you operate in a more traditional pre-4e mode; when you enter a big fight, all of your regular small fight resources (including toys like magic items, pets, etc.) are still available, you just also pick up your set of Big Fight resources. Balance on this front would certainly be tricky.
Okay, your always available resources and what I'm talking about are different it seems. You are talking about caltrops and I'm talking about fireball(or meteor swarm). Granted, it is less likely for my players to throw a bag of caltrops during the boss fight but that doesn't mean they ONLY use them in "little fights". And I especially don't want my players to be limited only to caltrops, etc. That would seem to suggest (as this post mostly did) that I would want to only play big fights, so I can use everything...

But, as you also suggest here, big fights are 4e type fights. I don't ever want to play a 4e style fights in my game. It would take a lot of convincing to make me change my mind here. As I'm sure people who are anti-3e wouldn't like to play a system that is primarily a 3e type. If the purpose of this thread was to again say that 4e and pre-4e styles are different then I happen to agree. I don't agree about the conclusion you draw however, sorry.

I agree it's a stylistic choice, and I was careful to word it as to make either case optional. However, in practice I think there are few people who are playing an AEDU-style game without some kind of grid, and the assumption of the grid being there makes it much easier to define effects and powers in a way that doesn't slow down play too much. Certainly playing using the 'Small Fight' toolkit with a battle grid wouldn't be at all out of the ordinary. Part of the point of the two styles of fight, referring back again to the thread that kicked off this idea, was that the level of tactical detail provided by the 4e abilities having the background assumption of gridy-ness is attractive to some people for high-importance encounters, even if they don't want it every time they roll initiative. The two styles of fight are not only to provide different schema for balance (or non-balance) and style, but also to provide different levels of detail. I can see wanting to separate those things out, but in practice I think that takes us into a realm where D&D hasn't really explored very well- whereas this is intended to be built on top of two familiar systems.
I tried, unsuccessfully it seems, to make this point earlier. 4e does not equate to grid combat, just as pre-4e doesn't equate to gridless. I played with grids for a number of years in 3e and up until recently I preferred it, that being said I have tried gridless (or rather grid-light) lately and I have enjoyed it much more. That isn't to say I don't see the value either way, it is just my preferred style. My players in fact seem to prefer a grid - all while playing 3e.

Now, the only 4e game I ran we did with a great DM and we never once used the grid. It was entirely theatre of the mind and we loved it. I hated the system but loved the game. A grid is what the game was built for or with it in mind but you can certainly play 4e with or without it, just as you could with 3e.

But back to the point I was actually making - grid is just an aspect. It can be used with big fights and little fights. You make it seem like it is intertwined. I'll give a similar example, though it probably translates poorly.

You are familiar with backgrounds and specialties. What if I told you B+S could only be used during big fights but not little fights. If you are fighting a boss you can use the cleave ability (haven't gotten around to playtesting pack 2 yet) but you can't do it during little fights. That would strike many as strange and extremely gamist as suddenly not only do you have a fairly gamist ability but you can only use it during specific moments when the DM says so. That is mother may I run amok. As much as I dislike dailies and encounter powers; it would be worse if the DM says I can or cannot use them during certain fights.

There is something irreducibly gamist about having a specific set of powers that apply only in Big Fights. Definitely. There are ways to justify it in-world that I think work better than the 4e justifications- that the Big Fight represents a slowed-down, 'bullet time' version of a regular fight, that Big Fights are typically fights that PCs are specifically preparing for, that they are higher-stakes than ordinary fights, and the characters access untapped reserves of power- whatever. However, I also know that those explanations will not ever be sufficient to certain players.
Did you ever see lord of the rings? Do you remember when they go to Rohan and went to see the possessed king? They were supposed to give up their weapons and Gandalf kept his staff? Okay. Now, when the three took out the guards in the throne room is the ONLY time in the entire trilogy I can think of that you might classify as a small fight. Even then it could have very easily turned sour as they were mostly unarmed. It definitely doesn't suit well as the basis for an entire ruleset on how to limit player power. It also doesn't really help emulate one game system style or another very well (be that 4e, or pre-4e).

l liked the detail level, in general, provided by 4e, but found it exhausting having to break it out for every combat. Combats got too long as DMs tried to make every encounter utilize terrain and battlemap features that kept powers interesting, and this lead to the feeling that focus was being drug disproportionately to combat. Some of this, just like your skill challenge problem, stems either from bad DM'ing or poor presentation of the rules (i.e., you don't have to make every encounter use the full XP values worth of creatures for that encounter level- you can spread them out into multiple smaller fights).
Ran games, played games for many years with and without grids. Terrain never came up except when it was important and it certainly wasn't very prevalent unless we were using pre-made maps. I know that you said this was an element of 4e but as I already said 4e didn't invent the grid-based concept. The same goes for 'battlemap features'. We often had to deal with set-based pieces but I assume that is something other than what you are talking about.

ComradeGnull

First Post
What you appear to be doing is telling the players how to manage their resources. You're afraid that they will use up big spells on lesser encounters, so you're only given them these powers in significant encounters.

I thoroughly dislike this.

Not at all- the point is not to 'prevent' players from spending important powers in small encounters. The point is to make it possible to intentionally structure two different types of encounters, and give players a new set of options in certain situations. It's like giving players maneuver options in vehicle/mounted combat- the intention is not to stop players from performing a barrel roll while fighting on foot, the intention is to add some novel situational options.

ComradeGnull

First Post
This is going to be a long post... sorry but not TL;DR, if its too long just skip it I guess :p Trust me, I cut what I could.

But that is my point. With all your examples the same general premise is there as with what you say right here. A big fight is where the combat uses resources beyond the simple; ALL my combats are like that. Or at least they all have the potential to be like that. I don't see what your suggested rules do for that. Perhaps your rules are helpful in defining for the players when something is significant or making sure they don't blow their big guns too soon but that has never really been a big problem for my players. They typically know when something is important enough to warrant a fireball. I've never run a 4e game so I don't know if this is more present there.

'Resources' is maybe a bad term; I've never really thought of D&D as 'resource management', but the phrase seems to be common with people. A better way of explaining it might be: I want to introduce a set of situational combat options that make combat more detailed, more tactical, but more time consuming. And while I originally phrased it as being DM fiat which type of fight it was, I think I like [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s observation from Burning Wheel that it is equally valid to let the players decide they want to spend more time on the resolution of any particular fight.

The problem is that with mine there would be no little fights, as you are describing it here. And yet there would be almost no big fights as you described it earlier. As I said before all my fights are potentially fatal; an aspect I enjoy about the game. Just last week my solo player fell to two hobgoblins in a sewer. It was a fight that he was supposed to walk through and it wasn't even the "boss fight" of the adventure. But it happened and it was a potential outcome all along. Now, from there I have a number of resources to continue on, but that is what makes it more interesting. Indeed the player could have used any number of his limited use abilities (or rather items) to have that fight turn out differently. The option was always there for him to use his 'nova' power and walk out alive. He didn't use it and now (after a series of unfortunate rolls) he isn't walking out alive.

That's one of the reasons I like the idea of players being involved in choosing the type of fight now- most players, given the choice on fighting two hobgoblins, would probably say 'not a big deal, lets just play through quickly'. You don't need to spec out complex maneuvers and powers for the opponents.

Again, 'Little' and 'Big' is not about threat or lethality; fatal or risky Little Fights are expected. It's about the level of tactical detail for their resolution.

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that you propose a system similar to 4e's AEDU. 4e has rules for AEDU but 5e doesn't. As this thread is on the 5e board I assumed you meant for 5e to come up with them. The problem I see is that in so doing most of the book would be needed to create the framework and balance of 4e's AEDU or else it isn't working at all.

The other problem is that a lot of people who liked 4e's AEDU liked it because of its balance. Now, you could remove that balance in favour of less rules on how 5e's AEDU would work to make more space in the book, or focus less on the balance that other people (non-4e) disliked about the game but then you haven't satisfied either camp.

I'm thinking of this in terms of 4e's stuff still being available. I don't see any reason why the 4e model can't be 'incorporated' as an option. Space in the book is a realistic economic concern, so I think it would probably be best to have the simple/small method as the 5e default and make the 4e stuff a module- but it would at least provide a framework to make it possible to use the 4e stuff as a module that could live side-by-side with non-4e, which I haven't really seen a coherent suggestion for yet.

Okay, your always available resources and what I'm talking about are different it seems. You are talking about caltrops and I'm talking about fireball(or meteor swarm). Granted, it is less likely for my players to throw a bag of caltrops during the boss fight but that doesn't mean they ONLY use them in "little fights". And I especially don't want my players to be limited only to caltrops, etc. That would seem to suggest (as this post mostly did) that I would want to only play big fights, so I can use everything...

Sorry, was trying to interpret what you meant by 'found or purchased' combat options- wasn't sure what you meant. In my ideal, things like Fireball would be available in either Little or Big fights, as would caltrops and gear. The added 'resources' for Big Fights are more about mechanical, tactical options (forced movement, move-attack-move powers, attack & heal powers) and probably would make a bigger difference in the play of non-spell casters than for Fireball casters. The only difference between little and big is added tactical options in a big fight (for opponents and players) and maybe a healing mechanic that doesn't rely entirely on cleric's having Cure spells left when the fight starts.

But, as you also suggest here, big fights are 4e type fights. I don't ever want to play a 4e style fights in my game. It would take a lot of convincing to make me change my mind here. As I'm sure people who are anti-3e wouldn't like to play a system that is primarily a 3e type. If the purpose of this thread was to again say that 4e and pre-4e styles are different then I happen to agree. I don't agree about the conclusion you draw however, sorry.

Yeah, the whole point of this was drawing upon an idea from the other thread: some people like the very detailed, tactical style of 4e for big boss fights (particularly after the math for Solo monsters was revised and improved in the post-essentials world), but dislike the added time that it takes to resolve every fight using that system. Full stop. It was to give people the option of doing a quick, rules-light resolution for some fights, and a more detailed and tactical resolution style for others. That is really the only thrust of it. If you don't ever want 4e-style fights, just say 'All fights are Little', and you're playing 3e. If you don't ever want 3e-style fights, just say 'All fights are Big' and you're playing 4e. If you like both styles for different scenarios (I do), then you use something like this.

I tried, unsuccessfully it seems, to make this point earlier. 4e does not equate to grid combat, just as pre-4e doesn't equate to gridless. I played with grids for a number of years in 3e and up until recently I preferred it, that being said I have tried gridless (or rather grid-light) lately and I have enjoyed it much more. That isn't to say I don't see the value either way, it is just my preferred style. My players in fact seem to prefer a grid - all while playing 3e.

Now, the only 4e game I ran we did with a great DM and we never once used the grid. It was entirely theatre of the mind and we loved it. I hated the system but loved the game. A grid is what the game was built for or with it in mind but you can certainly play 4e with or without it, just as you could with 3e.

But back to the point I was actually making - grid is just an aspect. It can be used with big fights and little fights. You make it seem like it is intertwined. I'll give a similar example, though it probably translates poorly.

You are familiar with backgrounds and specialties. What if I told you B+S could only be used during big fights but not little fights. If you are fighting a boss you can use the cleave ability (haven't gotten around to playtesting pack 2 yet) but you can't do it during little fights. That would strike many as strange and extremely gamist as suddenly not only do you have a fairly gamist ability but you can only use it during specific moments when the DM says so. That is mother may I run amok. As much as I dislike dailies and encounter powers; it would be worse if the DM says I can or cannot use them during certain fights.

The reason it seems like I am making 'grid' and 'big' related is because that was part of the point; Big Fights are not 'MORE POWER!' fights, they are 'more detail' fights. The grid adds detail, no? You are not trying to roughly theater of the mind estimate relative positions; you have direct, measurable distances from one character to another, and exact ranges for ranged and AOE powers. Smaller movements- 5' steps, slides, forced movements- that are either not particularly meaningful in a grid-less fight or are very hard to keep track of if you aren't a chess grand master can be played out on the board. It means slowing down resolution to count squares and apply conditional complex effects like forced moves and reactive powers, but it provides people who want it with extra detail.

Did you ever see lord of the rings? Do you remember when they go to Rohan and went to see the possessed king? They were supposed to give up their weapons and Gandalf kept his staff? Okay. Now, when the three took out the guards in the throne room is the ONLY time in the entire trilogy I can think of that you might classify as a small fight. Even then it could have very easily turned sour as they were mostly unarmed. It definitely doesn't suit well as the basis for an entire ruleset on how to limit player power. It also doesn't really help emulate one game system style or another very well (be that 4e, or pre-4e).

Not at all. If you want to resolve Eowyn fighting the King of the Nazgul as a Little Fight, that is fine. If you wanted to make the fight with the guards a Big Fight (but using unarmed combat only), that's fine too. It's about the level of detail on tactical options, not the presence or absence of a particular scale of power.

Ran games, played games for many years with and without grids. Terrain never came up except when it was important and it certainly wasn't very prevalent unless we were using pre-made maps. I know that you said this was an element of 4e but as I already said 4e didn't invent the grid-based concept. The same goes for 'battlemap features'. We often had to deal with set-based pieces but I assume that is something other than what you are talking about.

Due to a combination of the way the rules were presented and the complexities of some of the effects of many powers (forced movement, slides, move-and-attack, reaction powers, immediate powers, etc.), 4e tended to move the game toward a style of combat where most fights involved a larger number of participants, each of which had a lot of fairly complex combat options. This slowed down the game for a lot of people. If you never ran a 4e game, you may not have seen it first hand. Not everyone experienced it. But I've talked to a fair number of people who said 'I liked the options and detail of 4e combat, but using them for every encounter was overkill and slowed the game down too much.' So the thread I linked in the first post was about ways to incorporate the nice benefits of the 4e-style of encounter in an on-demand way, while preserving a faster mode of resolution as well.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
How about instead of different resources for each mode, you have some particular resources that work differently in each mode? This might even work better if the time scale also deliberately changes, so that "bullet time" really is playing out a given time frame in more detail.

This is easy with weapons, if going back to the roots of D&D. We don't need to go all the way back to one minute rounds, but somthing like 15 or 20 second rounds for "little fights" and then reserving the 3 to 6 second rounds for "big fights" might work. In a little fight, you get a bunch of swings of your sword, but only one or two every (15-20) round has a chance of doing real damage, because all the parrying and dodging is mostly abstracted. In a big fight, you get a swing every round, but you are also responsible for handling the defensive consequences of picking from your various options.

So the trick is making this work with spells (and items). This is where I come back to making the casting time longer, for powerful spells in the more compressed time frame. Make casting a major spell take most of a "little fight" round. Meanwhile, a lesser spell takes less time, but you can still only get in "one spell per round" for the same reason that you only get in one swing of your sword. In a big fight, meanwhile, you still get one spell per round, but you can mix some big spells with some smaller ones in that same timeframe--assuming that increased weapon usage isn't messing up your day.

That is, as a simple abstraction, it is easy for the caster to get off one spell in 15-20 seconds. When he goes into "bullet time," he can get off several spells, but it is not necessarily easy to contrive it so that it works. The abstraction of the longer round assumes that there is enough "distraction" messing everyone up that they can only do one effective thing in the longer round, on average. It's a concession to playability--not a claim about the characters' real performance limits. When you switch to "bullet time," the real limits are enforced--or at least closer to being enforced.

That framework handles some of the issues that will arise in such a twin time system. The next piece flows logically from that: If you have some very powerful abilities that you want to strongly push towards happening only in big fights, then put an increased action cost on them. When the adrenaline/mojo is really pumping, this then happens in a shorter period of combat time, as the rounds are shorter. Meanwhile, the abilities that you consider more mainstream, give them an increased effectiveness boost in "little fights" to show that those "little fights" happen in a more abstract system. Don't try to make these proportional--you want to encourage/discourage particular abilities, not dictate.

Let's assume 20 second little fight rounds and then 6 second big fight rounds for a moment:

Swing Longsword: 1d8+Str mod base damage. Abstract long rounds--2d8+double Str mod to compensate for a shorter time (not 3.33 times damage).

Longsword Haymaker: One action to set up (i.e. conditional in big fights). Increases damage of next attack by 2d6+Str mod. Occasionally worth it in little fights; often worth it big fights if conditions are right.

It's possible to do a similar thing with spells--if you adjust damage/effects for the routine stuff to have a mild bonus in little fights, and then impose an action cost on the most powerful spells.

Naturally, something similar has to be done with items, class abilities, etc.--though not every ability needs it. Some things will be borderline enough that no-one will care if they work equally well in both cases.

Finally, this is very easy to scale for those that don't want it, assuming it is given a clean notation. If you stick to one scale all the time, then just ignore the bits that don't apply. If you swap scales but don't want to favor certain powers, ignore the bonus effects and increased action costs. Furthermore, time is the most plausible way to build this, but not the only one. It doesn't hurt to put a big component/gold cost on certain abilities to discourage frivilous use, for example.

Tovec

Explorer
'Resources' is maybe a bad term; I've never really thought of D&D as 'resource management', but the phrase seems to be common with people. A better way of explaining it might be: I want to introduce a set of situational combat options that make combat more detailed, more tactical, but more time consuming. And while I originally phrased it as being DM fiat which type of fight it was, I think I like pemerton's observation from Burning Wheel that it is equally valid to let the players decide they want to spend more time on the resolution of any particular fight.
I happen to agree in general here, but in practice pemerton's references all seemed to be keyed to player choice over DM fiat. Your solution was opposite.
I definitely agree with the lack of issues with 'resource management' games, but then again I know a lot of people who have had issue so I'm not sure where I fall on that aspect.

That's one of the reasons I like the idea of players being involved in choosing the type of fight now- most players, given the choice on fighting two hobgoblins, would probably say 'not a big deal, lets just play through quickly'. You don't need to spec out complex maneuvers and powers for the opponents.
Right, okay but again, what are you proposing as the mechanical difference in this fight between making it a big fight vs a little fight? What happens when that paradigm changes? Who gets to decide? Can it change in the middle of a fight if things start to go south?

Again, 'Little' and 'Big' is not about threat or lethality; fatal or risky Little Fights are expected. It's about the level of tactical detail for their resolution.
Okay, this wasn't made clear. So, big fight and little fight are pseudonymous of big detail little detail? Because that isn't what the examples you gave seemed to state: little fights are town guards or couple of goblins and big fights are against boss types (evil wizards and warlords). Big fights have boss immunities and the point is to kill that boss, little fights by definition don't.

I'm thinking of this in terms of 4e's stuff still being available. I don't see any reason why the 4e model can't be 'incorporated' as an option. Space in the book is a realistic economic concern, so I think it would probably be best to have the simple/small method as the 5e default and make the 4e stuff a module- but it would at least provide a framework to make it possible to use the 4e stuff as a module that could live side-by-side with non-4e, which I haven't really seen a coherent suggestion for yet.
Generally speaking most 2e stuff didn't work as a straight crossover into 3e, most 3e stuff didn't translate directly into 4e. It seems unlikely 4e to 5e will break this trend, but it is possible. However, even if it is possible to use 4e mechanics in 5e with little or no conversion that still doesn't address the issue of balance which people seem to strive for in 4e which won't exist in 5e. (At least to the same degree.)

Sorry, was trying to interpret what you meant by 'found or purchased' combat options- wasn't sure what you meant. In my ideal, things like Fireball would be available in either Little or Big fights, as would caltrops and gear. The added 'resources' for Big Fights are more about mechanical, tactical options (forced movement, move-attack-move powers, attack & heal powers) and probably would make a bigger difference in the play of non-spell casters than for Fireball casters. The only difference between little and big is added tactical options in a big fight (for opponents and players) and maybe a healing mechanic that doesn't rely entirely on cleric's having Cure spells left when the fight starts.
The first part of this has to do with a misinterpretation of what your system would allow compared to what you are (now) saying. However, I do disagree with the 'cure' part at the end here.

Big fights meaning more detail has almost nothing to do with easier or different healing options, nor does less detail. Doubly so if little fights = pre-4e and big fights = 4e style. That is a completely different wing of an argument whether or not clerics should have cure spells left when the fights start has nothing to do with level of detail but it speaks loads to the differences between 4e and pre-4e. Something this system doesn't really emulate.

Yeah, the whole point of this was drawing upon an idea from the other thread: some people like the very detailed, tactical style of 4e for big boss fights (particularly after the math for Solo monsters was revised and improved in the post-essentials world), but dislike the added time that it takes to resolve every fight using that system. Full stop. It was to give people the option of doing a quick, rules-light resolution for some fights, and a more detailed and tactical resolution style for others. That is really the only thrust of it. If you don't ever want 4e-style fights, just say 'All fights are Little', and you're playing 3e. If you don't ever want 3e-style fights, just say 'All fights are Big' and you're playing 4e. If you like both styles for different scenarios (I do), then you use something like this.
And that is cool. If the idea is all about speeding up boss fights then that is fine. I don't see how this idea does that. You seem to imply completely different mechanics are used for boss fights but that is all.

Actually, rather your first post says nothing about new mechanics. Your second (group of) post doesn't raise that either but seems to suggest that big fights would be the default and little fights the subset. Third (group of) posts suggests that big fights are similar to vehicle battle. I'm having a hard time telling which is which.

Smaller movements- 5' steps, slides, forced movements- that are either not particularly meaningful in a grid-less fight or are very hard to keep track of if you aren't a chess grand master can be played out on the board. It means slowing down resolution to count squares and apply conditional complex effects like forced moves and reactive powers, but it provides people who want it with extra detail.
Okay, I'll get behind 5' steps (and the rest) having less impact without a grid. My question is then if I do like 5' steps where do I belong in this grand scheme? Am I a big fights or little fights type gamer? I'm going to ignore for the moment the blended one as I can't really see the defining features of either at the moment. I ask because I honestly can't tell which group I do or am supposed to belong with at the moment. It has changed with every reply.

Not at all. If you want to resolve Eowyn fighting the King of the Nazgul as a Little Fight, that is fine. If you wanted to make the fight with the guards a Big Fight (but using unarmed combat only), that's fine too. It's about the level of detail on tactical options, not the presence or absence of a particular scale of power.
This is my bad but again it goes back to what you had said. Eowyn vs the witch-king should be a boss fight and a 'big fight' therefore, shouldn't it? That is part of what you said. I brought up the throne room guard fight only as a little fight with easy and quick resolution.

Overall you seem to be suggesting a system where the big fights are similar to 4e but lacking the length, which should also lack the extra details which make up that length. Then little fights are then the opposite, pre-4e type fights with renewable resources. That is where you lose me. My point is that you say big fights are 4e fights but without certain qualities that make 4e fights what they are - namely the options and length. I don't know how you do that. And I certainly don't know what the non-big fight method is as it should be the one with the extra length and options?

Based on what you've said I'm going to modify your original post then.
[sblock=modified]
So keying off some comments RangerWickett made in this thread, I had the following 'modular' idea:

So, there are now two types of combat encounters: Big Detail and Little Detail.

Little Detail: These fights are 'taking out a goblin sentry', 'fighting two town guards', or 'fighting a handful of bandits' Anything, as the targets involved don't seem to be an indicator. (scaled out to an appropriate level). These fights:
1) Use only resources that are always available, or that are abundant enough to not be exhausted in 1-2 encounters. Fewer options, a more straight forward game. Ie. swinging a sword over and over, every round. Also, uses powers features that are always available, but not allowed to use them or spoil them on lesser encounters?
2) Use simple combat rules- only a move and an attack per round, maybe. Longer combat rounds. Because shorter ones are for big detail (below).
3) Don't use any power, spell, etc., that requires a battle grid. You can use one if you like, but it's fine without it. No abilities that require a battle grid, for some reason.

Big Detail: These fights are 'boss' fights- dragons, evil warlords and wizards, etc. Anything, as the targets involved don't seem to be an indicator.
These fights:
1) Use big, splashy, powerful player and NPC resources that are only available during Big Fights. More options, but ones specifically for bigger groups or stronger opponents.
2) Are centered around enemies that are scaled to be hard to put down in a few rounds- they can't be stunlocked to zero, etc. There may be a few 'lesser' creatures in the room, but the focus is probably on a BBEG (Elite, Solo, whatever you wish to call them. Nope, nothing to do with 'no stunlocking'. Has to do with having stunlocking as an option at all. Deals with anything that isn't swinging a sword over and over.
3) Feature powers, spells, etc., that really should be used with a battle grid. You can not use it if you have a religious objection to squares, but it works much better with it. (For some reason?) Much better.

The DM players decides if an encounter is Big Detail or a Little Detail. That determines what powers/resources PC's have available That adds a new mechanic and has nothing to do with what powers are available, and lets them know the scale/scope of the fight.

If you want a low-rules, quick style of play: all fights are Little Fights. Big Detail (At least that is the goal.)
If you want a 4e style of play: all fights are Big Detail, but you may need to shepherd your resources a little bit more (i.e., AEDU-style) (Except that Big Detail needs to be faster on combat, somehow?)
If you want to have several small encounters as you move through an environment, followed by a big boss battle at the end: several Little Fights followed by one Big Fight. (Ignored for now.)
[/sblock]

Remove ads