OD&D November 2013--Deluxe OD&D Reprint (White Box + Supplements I-IV)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, I can't claim great virtue on the White Box -- my dad got it. And I got lucky with the Deities & Demigods and got it for $20 used about 20 years ago. I have kept the stuff I actually bought, though I have thought about selling off my 2e stuff. If anyone would be willing to buy it. :p

Don't sell it. You know in 20 years you'll be on GoogleTweetBook++++Tube saying "Hey, that 2E reprint Wizards of the White Mongoose Pathfinding Space Rockets is doing is making me want to hit z-Bay for my old stuff!"

grizzo

First Post
Damn! I really envy people who still have that stuff! Saves them doing what I've been doing the last couple of years - scouring eBay to rebuild my gaming memories. I honestly don't know what happened to much of it - I didn't consciously get rid of it, and never really stopped gaming.
I think it cool that WOTC is reprinting O D&D. The reprint will be missing things like certain Tolkein references. The Conan and Elric material will be missing from Gods, Demi Gods , and Heroes because of copyright. I hope it sells well.

This is very much Wizard of the Coast's counterpoint to the super-deluxe Paizo Rise of the Runelords book. It showed people will pay a tonne of money for something super fancy and super collectible. (Sad that WotC is now following the lead of another company...)

It'd be nice if it wasn't so obviously photoshopped.

Really, unless it's super-thick paper, you're paying $20 for the books, $5 for the dice and $125 for the box. That's some priceyass packaging.

Tempting.

I'm still hoping for more 1E or BD&D releases, like the Fiend Folio, Monster Manual II and the B series of modules.
I'm hoping for a Rules Cyclopedia and Creature Catalogue. The Basic RC is one of the few books where they could reprint it at modern prices and it would be cheaper to buy that a used copy from eBay.

GameDaddy

Explorer
Yeah, that's a luxury item for sure.

Hrrrm? I bought all seven original books from 1977-79. Ran me $60 then. 30 years ago. Adjusted for inflation, this is just about right! Especially if it includes a hefty box. Hope it's printed on heavy acid-free paper with permanent ink, as I want this buy to last.

What irks me is the price: $149.99; C$172.00

Yeah... funny thing... the Canadian dollar has been flirting with parity for over half a decade. Having a seperate USD/CAD price was silly five years ago when 4e launched and now it's just sad. The currencies are almost equal. A Canadian dollar has not been worth $1.14 for years.

Sell at the one price and let stores adjust based on the current exchange rates at the time of purchase. Most other book companies have already moved to a single price. It's being shipped from China to the west coast. It's not like most Canadian cities are farther away from Seattle than Florida.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Don't sell it. You know in 20 years you'll be on GoogleTweetBook++++Tube saying "Hey, that 2E reprint Wizards of the White Mongoose Pathfinding Space Rockets is doing is making me want to hit z-Bay for my old stuff!"

I have trouble believing I'd ever miss 2e. :p But your point is taken.

Remove ads