Now that both books are out... 13th Age vs Numenera

Now that you've read them, which do you think you'll play over the long haul?

• 13th Age is definitely going to be my new game of choice.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Numenera is what I will play from now on.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I'll probably play both, along with my other games.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • They were worth the read through, but other than as resources I'll pass for something else.

Votes: 20 29.9%

• Poll closed .

fjw70

Adventurer
I just got the Numenera PDF and so far it looks pretty good. I am getting my 4e group back together soon and will try to run short scenarios for both Edge of he Empire and Numenera if I have time (EotE will be first) to see if they want to try something else for a while. If not I might bring out 13th Age, but we will probably stik with 4e (which is fine with me).

so I will play what the groups want to play.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I participated in the playtest for 13th Age and came away saying, "I like this."

I picked up the finished product at GenCon and came away saying, "I LOVE this!"

Hands down the most excited I've been about a game since Savage Worlds.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I am leaning more to 13th Age, just like the touch and feel to the system and my players seem to like it. Now I love Shadows of Esteren but my players as a bit more standoffish to the Cthulhu vibe. Numenera will be played but don't see it becoming a primary game.

My order of play (at this time):
  • 13th Age (if I have my way) - a game every 2 weeks
  • Pathfinder - a game every 3 weeks
  • Shadows of Esteren - once a month
  • Numenera - maybe a game every quarter

Shadowsmith

Explorer
I have both 13th Age and Numenera. Both are very cool and I'll be running them.

13th Age is my current D&D replacement game. While I can enjoy Pathfinder, I find that I don't enjoy tracking skill points and it feels too busy for me. 13th Age is streamlined while keeping characters very individualized.

Numenera is a very cool sci fi/fantasy game. I'm a long time fan of Skyrealms of Jorune but can't get my current group to play it. Numenera has already gotten some acceptance as a game we'll try.

I like different systems for different games. The mechanics should support the setting and story rather than controlling it. Both 13th Age and Numenera do this well.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I got my Numenera book yesterday. It is gorgeous. It's done in the same style as Ptolus, only with more color. Very impressive. :cool:

Stalker0

Legend
I've bought 13th age and got to read a friend Numenera book within a week of each other, so I got to see each one side by side.

My overall thoughts:

13th age has a lot of good ideas, but ultimately is a dnd clone. I think that as Dnd moves to next the game may be forgotten, but many of its innovative mechanics will live on.

Numenera is a brand new beast. The flavor of the world is very distinctive, and if it gathers enough design support may be around a long time. But if it doesn't catch on I think it will just fade away.

So basically 13th age I think will definitely be around in spirit, but never be a big name. Numenera will either make it big or die into obscurity.

NotZenon

Explorer
I'm a little late to the conversation here, but i just wanted to post that i absolutely LOVE the "cypher" system of rules for numenera. Its very easy to teach to new (or young) players, and easy to DM too. (although i'm still not sure if i prefer cypher or savage worlds, i'll have to run more games to find out)

The setting of the game, I like, but i'm not as excited about as i thought i would be. I'm excited to see the cypher system in some new games (the strange looks interesting but not enough so for me to back it (at least not yet).

The 13th age seems really cool to me but ultimately i don't think i will buy it because its another d20 product. I love d20 but I already own so many d20 products and quite frankly am a bit 'done' with d20.

I think Numenera hits a spot with me. I dislike Monte's tendency to churn out legions of splatbooks, though, and so I doubt I will ever give the game a prominent spot on my table. A one-shot, probably, but longer games, that require more material? I doubt it.

Remove ads