Npc cr

xenophone

First Post
I'm building out a large scale encounter, where the PCs are helping townsfolk defend themselves against an attack by mercenaries. I'm using the class leveled NPCs detailed in the Core rulebook, namely the Warrior and Commoner NPCs, but the CR rules for NPCs don't make much sense to me. The rules say that the NPCs CR is their class level -2, but this would mean that a level 1 commoner and a level 1 warrior both have a CR of -2, or 1/3. It seems to me the warrior NPCs should have a higher CR. Does this sound right?

Derfmancher

First Post
I'm building out a large scale encounter, where the PCs are helping townsfolk defend themselves against an attack by mercenaries. I'm using the class leveled NPCs detailed in the Core rulebook, namely the Warrior and Commoner NPCs, but the CR rules for NPCs don't make much sense to me. The rules say that the NPCs CR is their class level -2, but this would mean that a level 1 commoner and a level 1 warrior both have a CR of -2, or 1/3. It seems to me the warrior NPCs should have a higher CR. Does this sound right?

Honestly it depends on the NPC. My players only fought monsters at that low a level and that was far less complicated. If you think things are wonky, then check the NPC's AC, damage, and abilities as compared to your PC's.

Tovec

Explorer

-2 makes a lot of sense when you realize that PC classed characters are CR = lvl - 1

Yes, generally speaking a warrior is a bigger threat than a commoner, but a commoner has more skills. It's a balacing act. I would agree that most people think that mages (wiz, sorc, druid and cleric even) are a bigger threat than fighters or rogues - even with PF's improvements. It is a rough calculation. I would use it as such.

If you still aren't satisfied then make the commoner -3 and the warrior -2 or something but the math is still going to be a little screwy. Good luck.

xenophone

First Post
These commoners are going to exist solely for the purpose of this one encounter, so I think in the interest of getting things balanced right, I'm going to treat them as -3 and the warrior as -2.

frankthedm

First Post
The rules say that the NPCs CR is their class level -2, but this would mean that a level 1 commoner and a level 1 warrior both have a CR of -2, or 1/3. It seems to me the warrior NPCs should have a higher CR. Does this sound right?
As GM, you get to make judgement calls like this. If you don't think commoners make up a significant threat, lower the XP reward. I would put commoners o par with kobolds at CR 1/4.

SnowleopardVK

First Post
Commoner has an odd place among classes. I'd set it at -3, or CR 1/4 for a 1st level commoner, just for the ease of being able to tell that one is tougher than the other.

Burn_Boy

First Post
You could also check out the GMGs NPC Gallery. It has stat blocks for NPC village folk. It'd add flavor to the nameless rubes and also the CRs and stuff are easily labeled and such.

Remove ads