• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPC stats in PDF books - waste of space or useful DM's aid?

NPCs in PDFs - wasted printer paper or good idea?

• Excellent DM aid! Love those NPC's!

Votes: 60 58.3%
  • Waste of space! NPC's kills trees!

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Other. What's an NPC?

Votes: 8 7.8%

• Poll closed .

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I've got a project in the works that is basically a Monster Manual of NPC's...the stat blocks for different types of humanoids/near-humanoids that cover the same range of challenges and abilities found in the MM.

The reason I'm doing this is because as a Lazy DM, I find myself in need of stats quick, and often end up using a crazy beastie simply because I can use it straight out of the book, while trying to use an NPC is a LOT harder because I have to design it from the ground up.

It's a matter of prep time: an hour + for a high-level NPC, or a few minutes for some monster outta ToH...guess which one I'm more likely to do?

jsewell

First Post
Kamikaze Midget said:
I've got a project in the works that is basically a Monster Manual of NPC's...the stat blocks for different types of humanoids/near-humanoids that cover the same range of challenges and abilities found in the MM.

Would like to here more about this.

I voted NPCs are good. This is assuming you give said NPCs sufficiently generic backgrounds so the DM can insert them into any world he/she pleases with little effort. If they are just stat blocks, I still think it's a good idea, just follow Crothian's advice, and confine them to an (preferably linked) index.

Morte

Explorer
Include them, in a separate section, with one per page to simplify selective printing.

Be generous with page breaks in your PDF, the space is free. For example, player and GM information should never appear on the same page. Anything with handout potential should have page breaks before and after. If this breaks up the document look/flow, repeat it at the end in a "for easy printing section" -- it costs you nothing, and makes your PDF more useful.

John Morrow

First Post
Jolly Giant said:
Seems this is the way to satisfy everyone. :)

Just remember that some of use have duplex laser printers (they print on both sides of the paper -- yes, I have one at home). So make sure that the section starts on an odd page and ends on an even page to make it easier to skip. That's something that's annoyed the heck out of me with a few PDFs that I've bought.

Jolly Giant

First Post
John Morrow said:
Just remember that some of use have duplex laser printers (they print on both sides of the paper -- yes, I have one at home). So make sure that the section starts on an odd page and ends on an even page to make it easier to skip. That's something that's annoyed the heck out of me with a few PDFs that I've bought.

I'll try to keep that in mind.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I think that sample NPCs for prestige classes are a waste of space in a printed book and a waste of bits and scrolling time in PDFs. Sample NPCs are fine for other purposes, of course.

Psion

Adventurer
I beleive that they are immensely valuable and beleive that all PrCs should have an iconic example.

I'm not so sure I agree with the notion of separating them into an appendix. I guess it would be okay if you reprinted all the relevant abilities, but I think you are just better off printing the NPC right after the class, and not have to page back and forth nor reprint class ability descriptions.

If you mean a stat block for the prestige classes, I can do without them. But if you mean a stat block for an NPC in an adventure, then absolutely include them!

I'm kinda ambivalent about putting stat blocks where they're needed vs. in an appendix. I kind of like having them in the part of the module where they're needed, but at the same time I can understand how a large encounter could mean pages of stat blocks. If push came to shove, I'd say put them where they're needed (vs. in an appendix).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads