• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NPCs - give me your actor references

WayneLigon

Adventurer
devilish said:
Group has 2 NPC brothers following them around as hirelings...I've
made them Hank and Dean from the Venture Bros. and it's worked great!

And the party hasn't murdered them in their sleep? Wow.

I've used several actors for various parts, or at least visualized that person in the role so I can get a better understanding of what gestures and turns of phrase I might use.

We also use a lot of photos of various people; old magazines are the best source for these since usually the picture is either near the needed size or can be cut down without a lot of detail loss. Then it's put in a slot in one of these card-keeper notebook pages, like you see in hobby stores where they are displaying baseball or Magic cards. The center slot is used for a bit of card or paper listing each slot and who it is. The nice thing about the card pages is that you can easily fold them in any manner to only show the picture you want. They have nine slots, yeilding 16 pictures each page with two listings. Campaigns have used anywhere from 2-30+ pages.

Currently, I'm running a Mutants and Masterminds game.

Ronin, the street-smart former assassin: Josh Holloway (Sawyer from Lost)
Amazon, the brick: An egyptian-japanese model whose name I forget
Snapback, the college-aged stretchable quasi-sidekick: Kevin Zegers (He was the young mall guard in the Day of the Dead remake)
Legion, the spooky sorcery/psi hero: Jake Gyllenhaal (Sam, Day after Tomorrow)
Hacker, the lightning-tossing software billionaire: Hugh Dancy (Galahad, King Arthur)

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Keeper of Secrets said:
People should do their best to work in:

Charles Nelson Reily
Paul Lynde
Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith from Lost in Space)
Game Night is tonight. I'll see what I can do.

I'm thinking Charles Nelson Reily as the Mayor of Saltmarsh
Paul Lynde as an eccentric shop keeper.
Jonathan Harris as a disgruntled Guildmaster.

As a bonus, I'll try to work in Frank Gorshin....

RE: Slash as an exotic carpet dealer:
Flyspeck23 said:
Pretty weird... so, consider it stolen :)

Great! Hope it works for you. Try to find some interviews of him from the past few years. He's a bit more lucent.

Also, Bill Nye the science guy has shown up as a PC Wizard's mentor a few times.

diaglo

Adventurer
Flyspeck23 said:
Not sure what your point is, but let me rephrase: she, as a NPC, isn't pregnant IMC.
Or did you simply wanted to say that you're using that same reference?

sorry for the confusion. i'm using her, also.

along with Glenn Close from the nonanimated version of 101 Dalmations. Cruella De Vil

Robert De Niro and Nick Nolte's characters from Cape Fear

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Off the top of my head:

John Cleese as Basil Fawlty in the role of a manic, put-upon Bailiff

Mel Gibson as The Randy Woodsman (from the "Tales of Ribaldry" skit on the SNL episode he hosted) in the role of a Captain of the Guard

Helen Hunt in the role of a bisexual French mercenary Fighter

Lysette Athony (KRULL, Dark Shadows) in the role of her sister, a French mercenary Fighter/Rogue

Jim Cummings as Dingo (Gargoyles)/Montery Jack (Rescue Rangers) in the role of a man-at-arms

Hanuman

First Post
A while back I ran a gang of Hill giants as mountain men from the Ozarks a la the movie Deliverance, scared the hell out of the players :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads