• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Numenera RPG

fireinthedust

Explorer
Anyone give to the Kickstarter? Or is in on the Playtest?

I've got my pre-order definitely for the art, and partly because Monte Cook has interesting mechanical ideas in anything he does; even if I never play this game, I'm going to read and refer to it frequently.

I'm thinking the game is intended to be D&D, though: it's not rifts, it's dungeon-crawling and monster-fighting in a setting where high tech replaces magic. Lots of laser swords and genetically created "worm-lizards" on piles of "numenera" treasure.

I havn't seen the playtest, but it's my guess.

Anyone know what the dice mechanic is going to look like?

Here's a picture of the PCs. note where tech replaces magic.

Wave_1_Half_CharacterLineUp_Final-2_1357747008.jpg

mcmillan

Adventurer
Monte has had a good bit of writing on his blog, if you haven't seen it yet. Specifically you might be interested in his playtest game descriptions (that's the most recent I think, though you can follow links back to the beginning). He also wrote a bit about dice mechanics in these two posts

I'm not sure if I'd completely agree about saying it's meant to be D&D with technology, though depending on what you're talking about I see some similarities. Mechanically I it's looking simpler, at least than the newer editions of D&D.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I'm thinking in terms of the... I guess, structure? Like, go to mysterious place X, the Jack opens the door, the Glaive beats up some monsters, and the Nano looks for some lore in the secret source (book vs psychic crystal). A band of heroes defeats the villains to defend the village... but instead of undead it's techno mutants, and instead of pig farmers it's moisture vaperators.

thanks for the links!

So far it looks like D&D with tech to me, too. It doesn't really look like anything groundbreaking or new. Even the pictures that have been released are cliche.

darkcyril

First Post
So far it looks like D&D with tech to me, too. It doesn't really look like anything groundbreaking or new. Even the pictures that have been released are cliche.

Have you actually read any of the material that Monte has offered on the mechanics and play style? The mechanics are unlike anything I have ever seen in an RPG. They're simple, but there's a lot of substance to them including a good deal of resource management. And the idea behind GM Intrusion is an absolutely fantastic way for a GM to keep a focused story in his sessions while still rewarding the PCs for "playing the game."

Personally, I can't wait for the book to be in my grubby little hands. I pledged the instant I saw the Kickstarter and have been following the development ever since. And the peeks we've gotten at Christopher West's cartography for the 9th World have been nothing short of jaw dropping.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I like the idea of the GM only giving plot/descriptions, and then a scale of 1-10, and making players do the work. It's an old trick or style of running a game, but I don't know if it's been published officially in a core rule set. And the 1-10 x3 = DC on a d20, is new to me at least. And that the d20 doesn't have bonuses, but instead specific roles can be reduced based on traits, and by amount based on presumably tier.

Otherwise, I think I get what VictorC is saying:

GM intrusion sounds like MWR's Marvel game (Cortex system), or M&M hero points, when the PCs lose or are intentionally gimped.

Three classes is a bit like Unearthed Arcana 3e's basic classes (warrior, rogue, spellcaster), which is a great idea imho, but hasn't been done officially in a core book for an RPG, afaik, more as a concept I've never seen run in game.

That said, there isn't a whole lot that hasn't been done in part or mentioned in some RPG or other over the years. The "tech" of RPG table top games hasn't improved (pen, paper, dice, brains), but the systems are getting more streamlined and hopefully efficient. In a way, any game is taking multiple concepts and mix/matching them, like engine parts. MC does do this in very brave, exploratory ways: MCWoD's Mage spellcasting system is sort of a way of taking regular 3e spells and checking how powerful/involved they would be, like his crib notes when designing spells; but he's turned that over to the players as a spell point system. Very cool.

I do want to see about his "foci" and other traits.

Maybe it won't be as "mechanical" as D&D is, thus the "dungeon crawl" won't be the same sort of focus.

I got in on the Kickstarter at the level that gave you a hard copy of the core rulebook plus a PDF of the Kickstarter exclusive adventure. I haven't been following the updates too closely, and I may never get to run the game (so many systems to play, so little available time), but I'll be an interesting read at the very least.

Olaf the Stout

dm4hire

Explorer
Green Ronin's True20 uses a three class system. I like the idea since it allows more customization. I'm looking forward to seeing how Monte has worked them for customization.

Green Ronin's True20 uses a three class system. I like the idea since it allows more customization. I'm looking forward to seeing how Monte has worked them for customization.

And there is even a game called Warrior Rogue Mage, another call Shadow Sword and Spell, so it is a well used concept. EDIT: In fact my first home made RPG back when I was 14 had those 3 classes and 3 attributes that applied. Forgot all about that til just then, wish I still had it!

I am keen to get the full rules, altho I haven't been looking at the blog. I prefer to see the rules as a oner rather than in dribs and drabs, otherwise I get confused!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads