• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Numenera RPG

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
I am ok with the 3 types of classes, and to me there seems a lot of variability. The "classes" are just the types, which are augmented by both your descriptor (tough, charming, etc: all of which has crunchy effects) and your Focus (< basically a starting power set that expands as you gain experience: controls beasts, uses mental powers, controls gravity, speaks with the dead, etc.).
I'm always a fan of character creation, and this one maintains simplicity while still giving a lot of options.

teitan

Legend
I want to pre-order this but funds are tight. I'm looking forward to the reviews and the updates have been dynamite on his blog. Inspired Me to get back to the design on my own game.... scribbles some notes.

smartmonkey

First Post
I'm regretting not hopping aboard the kickstarter for this. Is there any benefit to preordering through Drivethru, or can I snag the PDF when it comes out? Cash is tight and all.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I'm regretting not hopping aboard the kickstarter for this. Is there any benefit to preordering through Drivethru, or can I snag the PDF when it comes out? Cash is tight and all.

I wouldn't be surprised if the price of the PDF goes up to roughly $30. It is a 400+ page full color book.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Numenera does give me a kind of D&D vibe. It really is, from everything I've read, D&D with technology replacing magic. It has a large focus on exploration over combat however. The GM appears to be encouraged to write adventures where the goal is to explore unknown locations and figure out mysteries. There might be combat along the way, but the goal of the game appears to be to downplay it as much as possible....to make it something the players may want to avoid and to reward them when they come up with a way to instant kill the enemy using a cool plan rather than just slog out a fight.

However, the basic nuts and bolts seem to be D&D. A Fighter, a Rogue and a Wizard go into a mysterious hole in the ground because the local village is being attacked by strange creatures coming out of it and they want the PCs to discover the source of it and stop them would be a perfectly valid Numenera adventure.

Aldarc

Legend
I am looking forward to this setting and the rules. I'm a fan of post-apocalyptic science fantasy (e.g. Thundarr, Masters of the Universe, Nausicaa), and have wanted to run a campaign along similar lines, so this will provide some nice materials that I'm confident will inspire me.

Nojo509

First Post
From Monte's blog: "Any kind of action taken by a player character in the game can be assigned to a stat. Jumping is a Might action. Dodging an attack is a Speed action. Talking your way past a guard is an Intellect action. And so on. This is only really relevant, however, if the action in question is one that the player really wants to focus on. To do this, he or she spends points from the relavant stat to put “effort” into the action. This makes the action easier to do (and thus, makes it more likely to succeed. Points from stats can be regained, of course, but it’s still a finite resource. Thus, a player should only put effort into the actions important to them."

I like the spend to make your chances better mechanic in Gumshoe games, and I expect I'll like it in Numenera. Instead of "always have a 33% chance to succeed in X" I can choose when to boost my chances.

Remove ads