Nunc autem uri!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Onto the stuff fitting his firey theme...

1) The idea @Morrus suggested is a keeper. The armor will definitely have an integrated system to heat its exterior to several hundred degrees.

2) some kind of infrared and possibly microwave emitter weaponry will be used. Unlike the Pilum system mentioned upthread, it will have less punch per use, but will be usable pretty much on demand. The main question is will it be a sidearm or integrated into the armor.

3) some kind of “Greek fire“/napalm/phosphorus flamethrower or grenade system.

4) some kind of “cool flame” generation system, fueled by something like n-butyl acetate (@225°C).

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Something to consider, roleplaying aspect. ”If it is spelled with a c, it is pronounced as a k.” And no compromises. This might bring him some strange looks with the words like celsius, but it is a habit of language he just can’t drop.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Something to consider, roleplaying aspect. ”If it is spelled with a c, it is pronounced as a k.” And no compromises. This might bring him some strange looks with the words like celsius, but it is a habit of language he just can’t drop.
Well, in that case just speak Latin.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So we're talking sci-fi Romans?

Laser pilums, helms with HUDS... I mean, Romans are defined by their military structure, and we have to decide why they still use that rather than modern (or futuristic) tactics; we don't line up and march towards the enemy now, let alone in the future. And they were famous for that.

Are we keeping the tech the same but skinning it as sci-fi? Or altering it to the point that the tactics change, at which point, what makes it "Roman"?

Roman Supers/Sci-fi tech, yes, a la Iron Man or Capt. America. But unlike a Roman legionnaire who fought alongside others like himself, Sol Invictus has had to learn to fight solo. Kind of like the original OMAC, he’s a legion unto himself.

While it’s unrealistic- duh, supers- the visual aesthetic will definitely be inspired by classical Roman military gear.

But I’m thinking a Roman mentality is what will set the PC apart. Not only what you'd expect from a classical Roman, but one whose empire has lasted another uninterrupted 1500 years.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Roman Supers/Sci-fi tech, yes, a la Iron Man or Capt. America. But unlike a Roman legionnaire who fought alongside others like himself, Sol Invictus has had to learn to fight solo. Kind of like the original OMAC, he’s a legion unto himself.

While it’s unrealistic- duh, supers- the visual aesthetic will definitely be inspired by classical Roman military gear.

But I’m thinking a Roman mentality is what will set the PC apart. Not only what you'd expect from a classical Roman, but one whose empire has lasted another uninterrupted 1500 years.
I think you're just describing Iron Man with a plume on his helmet. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Technologically, yeah. But not the mentality. That’s the main thing I need help with.

(Although Tony Stark probably would have made a fine Roman...)

Last edited:

DrunkonDuty

he/him
Hmmm, Roman personality traits...

Vengeful. First thing that comes to me. They were not the type, as a culture, to ignore slights or betrayals. If you crossed them they would smash you down. BUT if you rolled over they would be willing to forgive and move on. Oh don't think there won't be punishments. There will be. But once this is over with, it tends to be over with. Repeat offenders will not be shown mercy.

Big fans of the offensive defensive strike. That is, they believed in hit them before they hit you. Or are even thinking about hitting you.

Legalistic. In the extreme.

Honourable. The Romans told many tales about how honourable they were. But I gotta say I think they put so much effort into tales of their honour in order to compensate the rather dishonourable manner in which they tended to act. The number of times a Roman commander had a treaty overturned by the Senate is pretty alarming. Well, alarming if you were the one counting on Roman honour.

Cosmopolitan. Maybe not so much in the early days but by the time of Caesar and co. Rome was a Mediterranean spanning empire and mish mash of Italian and Greek cultures. By the time of Trajan and Hadrian even more so. A 2000 year old empire would have to have assimilated many different cultures.

And Carthage must be destroyed!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Vengeful and legalistic sounds good. Kinda...Lawful Neutral. Given that personality element coupled with his fiery shtick, he might not be one for giving his foes too many second chances. Unlike the typical rogue’s gallery many superheroes accumulate, on his home plane, Sol Invictus’ enemies may largely be hospitalized or buried. This could lead to serious strains on his relationship with more mainstream heroes and police forces of this world. How will he adapt? How hard will he even try so to do?

I’m thinking with his name and penchant for heat powers, he’s a direct descendant of his world’s Anders Celsius. As a citizen of a province we’d call Sweden on our world, he might be a little paler and blonder than those people from closer to Rome Eternal. But there‘s still some classic Mediterranean features to him, and he wears his slightly wavy hair short, with sideburns, somewhat like Nero.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases