D&D 5E nystul magic aura capability

Zinnger

Explorer
My view of how this spell works was always to either mask an existing magical aura or create the illusion of a magical aura that really does not exist. But in reading the spell description in 5e, it makes it sound like you could cast the spell over a living target a number of times and that target would never show any magical auras in their future. For example, they could cast or drink a potion of invisibility and not be detected by "detect magic" or "see invisibility" spells ever again. I am curious to learn what others think of this use of the spell.

guachi

Hero
It isn't particularly clear but I think you can only use the "False Aura" part of the spell on an object and the "Mask" part on a creature.

In other words, you couldn't use it like you are describing.

Harzel

Adventurer
It isn't particularly clear but I think you can only use the "False Aura" part of the spell on an object and the "Mask" part on a creature.

In other words, you couldn't use it like you are describing.

I can see why you might think so, but I would disagree in that I think False Aura can be used on creatures. However, I don't think it would affect 'see invisible' because I would not classify 'see invisible' as a spell that 'detects magical auras'.

Oofta

Legend
I would never let "detect magic" see invisibility, with or without Nystul's magic aura. Detect magic might be able to tell there was something magical within 30 feet, but you can only see the aura around something that is visible. Nystul's magic aura can give a false aura to objects, but can only change the aura of creatures.

See invisibility lets you see invisible creatures and objects. Nystul's has no effect.

Zinnger

Explorer
Very helpful responses.

What effect would it have on other spells such as Disguise Self? I assume that Detect Magic would normally show that magic is at work. Would the permanent effect from Nystul cast a year ago still prevent magic from being detected from the Disguise Self spell just cast?

And since See Invisibility is a Divination Spell and Nystul's blocks divination spells wouldn't it block that divination spell too?

And Detect Magic reads that you can "sense the presence of magic". You must SEE the creature or object to determine the aura, true enough, but do you need to see them to know that there is magic present?

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
The way I think about magic is in layers. Nystul's allows you to determine whether a spell like detect magic registers a creature as magical or not. Even if you decide a creature registers as non-magical, if they later have magic cast on them, like invisibility, then they radiate magic.

Now, make them invisible and then Nystul's and I think it could work. But lets be honest, making a creature even more invisible is a fairly tame use of this spell.

I used Nystul's on a succubus that was interacting with the party. She would register as human to spells and effects, despite being a fiend, and honestly, what succubus would not have an aura like that, it makes life so much easier.

In fact, any inflitrator type demon or devil who is possessing someone is going to want that, so they aren't immediately detected the first time a paladin visits the king.

Want to be really cruel? Have a lich use this on their Phylactery, then just put the phylactery under a flagstone or something. Unless the party truly tears the place apart stone by stone they aren't likely to find it, and the Lich doesn't have to worry about his phylactery being taken and destroyed. For added fun, make a fake that you have read highly magical and necrotic with Nystul's, then when they break it they feel accomplished, only to have the Lich return good as new later on.

Personally? This becomes one of those spells where I have to ask why an ancient and powerful being hasn't had this done, because it is so useful and so cheap that everyone should be using it.

Oofta

Legend
Very helpful responses.

What effect would it have on other spells such as Disguise Self? I assume that Detect Magic would normally show that magic is at work. Would the permanent effect from Nystul cast a year ago still prevent magic from being detected from the Disguise Self spell just cast?

And since See Invisibility is a Divination Spell and Nystul's blocks divination spells wouldn't it block that divination spell too?

And Detect Magic reads that you can "sense the presence of magic". You must SEE the creature or object to determine the aura, true enough, but do you need to see them to know that there is magic present?

Thanks for your input.

You're trying to get Nystul's do do something that's not in the spell description. You can make an object appear to be non-magical, not a creature.

False Aura. You change the way the target appears to spells and magical effects, such as detect magic, that detect magical auras. You can make a nonmagical object appear magical, a magical object appear nonmagical, or change the object's magical aura so that it appears to belong to a specific school of magic that you choose. When you use this effect on an object, you can make the false magic apparent to any creature that handles the item.

You can make an undead appear to be a living creature, frame someone and make them show up as a fiend, etc. You can't hide a spell cast on a person.

Remove ads