D&D 3E/3.5 Object Saves?

Resist Energy or Protection from Energy have Target = One Creature.

Do Objects held by that character also gain the protection?

Specifically, if you have Protection from Energy: Fire on a character, and the character strikes a Magmin with a weapon, does the weapon somehow gain in the Fortitude Save DC12 or be destroyed effect from the Magmin?

I think and ruled no, but I want to be fair to the RAW.

Out if curiosity, do “protect object” spells exist. I can’t think of any. 🤔

Voadam

Legend
Generally I think of the target creature as including their carried stuff but the examples I can think of where it comes to mind as relevant (invisibility, dimension door, teleport) all specify in the spells that the effects include carried gear.

A different issue is whether protection from energy which prevents hp of damage from an energy type would help against the magmin melt weapon power which only gives a save DC for melting weapons, completely bypassing the hp of the object. Narratively if it applied to the carried weapon it would make sense to protect them in some fashion, but mechanically it looks like RAW it might not.

The relevant text, emphasis mine:

Saving Throws

Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).

Magic items always get saving throws. A magic item’s Fortitude, Reflex, and Will save bonuses are equal to 2 + one-half its caster level. An attended magic item either makes saving throws as its owner or uses its own saving throw bonus, whichever is better.

SRD:

Resist Energy or Protection from Energy have Target = One Creature.

Do Objects held by that character also gain the protection?

Specifically, if you have Protection from Energy: Fire on a character, and the character strikes a Magmin with a weapon, does the weapon somehow gain in the Fortitude Save DC12 or be destroyed effect from the Magmin?

I think and ruled no, but I want to be fair to the RAW.

Out if curiosity, do “protect object” spells exist. I can’t think of any. 🤔
I believe you ruled correctly. If you were feeling so generous, perhaps grant a bonus to the saving throw based on how much protection the spell granted? Maybe +1 for every 10 points of resistance or protection?

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The relevant text, emphasis mine:

Saving Throws

Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).

Magic items always get saving throws. A magic item’s Fortitude, Reflex, and Will save bonuses are equal to 2 + one-half its caster level. An attended magic item either makes saving throws as its owner or uses its own saving throw bonus, whichever is better.

SRD:
This.

I’m thinking the best of the attending creature or item save.

I’m considering, as a House Rule, the idea of a bonus of +1 per 10 points of energy protection on the character.

Remove ads