Obsolete Feats

Hof

Explorer
I keep hoping that those dual-element damage booster feats will have their bonus turned into an untyped one. They may be suboptimal, but they added a bit of flavour at the same time as damage.

If these feats get an update, perhaps it should also be along the lines of the new expertise feats: simple numerical bonus with an added twist. Just to make them a little more interesting.

For example:
Astral Fire
Benefit: You gain a +1 per tier bonus to damage rolls when you use a power that has the fire or radiant keyword.
In addition, any ongoing damage caused by your powers which have the fire or radiant keyword is increased by 1+1per tier.

Burning Blizzard
Benefit: You gain a +1 per tier bonus to damage rolls when you use a power that has the acid or the cold keyword.
In addition, when you use a power which has the acid or cold keyword against a creature with the slowed, immobilized or restrained condition, the creature grants combat advantage for this attack.

Note that I left the prerequisite lines out on purpose. They can make sense for powerful feats, but thematics like these don't need any prereq's IMHO.

Alphastream

Adventurer
Except that it's a Pact Boon (class feature), not a power. The breakdown in compendium is....... less than optimal.
For what it is worth, the Compendium states:
"ELDRITCH PACT
You have forged a pact with mysterious entities that grant you your arcane powers. Choose one pact. The pacts presented in the Player’s Handbook are the fey pact, the infernal pact, and the star pact. Other products present additional pacts. The pact you choose determines the following warlock abilities:
At-Will Spells: Your pact determines one of the at-will spells you know.
Pact Boon: Each pact includes a pact boon. The pact boon is a granted power you can use to further hex your enemies."

Essentials also seems to be treating class features as powers. The CB, both old and new, treat Dark Fury as applying to Darkspiral aura. Nonetheless, I have opened a ticket with CS.

DracoSuave

First Post
Perhaps, but CB isn't a primary source either.

Unless Darkspiral Aura gets reprinted, or the original version is errata'd, it's not a power.

The only primary source currently in existance is the FRPG. The other possible source that might have had it in the future? Canceled.

Also, the most recently printed pact boon for regular warlocks, the Sorcerer-King Pact's Fel Scorn?

Not a power. There has yet to be a pact boon in existance for the non-hexblade warlock that is a power.

Dan'L

First Post
For what it is worth, the Compendium states:

Pact Boon: Each pact includes a pact boon. The pact boon is a granted power you can use to further hex your enemies."

More to the point, the PHB also contains this wording (p. 130), and you can't get much more primary a source than that.

As secondary, anecdotal support, I'll mention the D&D comic book (I know, far from authoritative) which in the back of issue 4 has the character sheet for a Star Pact Warlock. It lists "Fate of the Void" as an at-will power, so there is at least some indication that even the original PHB pact boons are intended to be powers.

(As I do not have a DDI subscription, I will ask: how are pact boons formatted & presented when printed? Are they given the format of a power?)

So, even though the pact boon is not presented in the format that other attack and utility powers are, I could see a case being made that it is indeed a power.

However, in regards to being able to use Astral Fire to boost the damage from the pact boon, there is another consideration. Astral Fire and similar feats specifically apply to powers with certain keywords. I do not have the FRPG, so I will ask: does Dark Spiral Aura, not being presented in the standard format for a power, contain a list of keywords? If not, then it doesn't have the 'radiant' keyword, and cannot benefit from Astral Fire.

Alternatively, is there a rule that makes it explicit that if a power deals 'x' type of damage that it must have 'x' keyword? The best I can find is that if it has 'x' keyword it does 'x' type of damage, which is not quite the same, and also rules that pertain to adding or removing a damage type, which again does not quite address the question at hand.

-Dan'L

Ryujin

Legend
In CBC, the Pact Boons are, in fact, listed in the "powers" list and get a power card. Darkspiral Aura has the keywords Arcane, Necrotic, and Psychic.

Remove ads