Pathfinder 1E Occult Ritual - Turn one Dragon into another!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
So I've been thinking about this for a while...and I want to have the PCs find or else research an occult ritual that will allow them to help turn their soon to be NPC faerie dragon into a true dragon.

Firstly, is this feasible, RAW? (using Occult Adventures and the other stuff)

Secondly, would it be incredibly dickish of me to have said dragon go from a faerie dragon into say, an Outer Dragon instead?

Thirdly, am I just insane?

Kinak

First Post
Occult rituals basically do whatever the GM wants them to. So, it's exactly as feasible as you want it.

As far as dickishness, it depends a lot on how you frame the ritual. If you're up front with the fact that they don't control its final form, you're great. Within the ritual format, you could make a full success result in a hatchling dragon form of their choice and with complications, you get to twist it or narrow the list of choices.

I'm not going to say you're insane, but it's probably not something you should hand out to player's lightly. If they really want to do it, make it a quest to get the ritual, the ingredients, and the time/place to perform it. It'll feel cheap if they don't earn it.

Cheers!
Kinak

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Occult rituals basically do whatever the GM wants them to. So, it's exactly as feasible as you want it.

Well I know it was feasible based on the fact it doesn't do anything that a polymorph spell wouldn't be able to accomplish.

As far as dickishness, it depends a lot on how you frame the ritual. If you're up front with the fact that they don't control its final form, you're great. Within the ritual format, you could make a full success result in a hatchling dragon form of their choice and with complications, you get to twist it or narrow the list of choices.

I'm pretty sure they'll understand this isn't something they can get done in a day. It might take the entire campaign OR at least a good chunk of it. I've already decided that they'll get a working version but it will not quite play out to expectations. (IE they think they're getting a Silver dragon but instead get a Lunar Dragon)

I'm not going to say you're insane, but it's probably not something you should hand out to player's lightly. If they really want to do it, make it a quest to get the ritual, the ingredients, and the time/place to perform it. It'll feel cheap if they don't earn it.

Cheers!
Kinak

It's not something I'm just doling out along with XP. I'm running Kingmaker AP. I want something a kind of long standing side quest for maybe a couple players. Or at least something they might want to work towards. We'll see how it goes.

Remove ads