[October] What are you reading?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
What are you reading? Just finished Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace. It was a bit too experimental in its style for my tastes. I found myself having a hard time immersing myself and wound up thinking more about its construction than its content.

Croesus

Adventurer
A Star Shall Fall by Marie Brennan. Third book in her Onyx Court series.

Shattered Sword by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully. Fresh look at the WW2 battle of Midway. My second time reading this, it's so good.

On deck: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Third book in her Hunger Games series. The first was outstanding, the second fair. Here's hoping the last one is as good as the first.

Krug

Newshound
The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. Beautifully written but wish the characters weren't so miserable all the time.

Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abecombrie. Last installment of The First Law trilogy. I thought the second book didn't do much, but glad that this one is moving quickly. Fantasypunk, if you will.

coyote6

Adventurer
Finished Busted Flush (a Wild Cards novel) yesterday, and started Darker Angels, by MLN Hanover (aka Daniel Abraham).

I never figured 1084 pages would take so long to read.... Still reading It by King but nearly done. Not sure where I'm going next. Maybe some more Eberron novels or I may do some Koonz. Not sure.

Rykion

Explorer
I'm currently reading Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy by Ian Toll. I'm almost finished and have enjoyed the book.

I'm also reading Ghost Hunter's Guide to Haunted Ohio by Chris Woodyard, and The Grey Knights Omnibus by Ben Counter.

Next up is With Zeal and with Bayonets Only: The British Army on Campaign in North America, 1775-1783 by Matt Spring.

Krug

Newshound
The Hunger Games - Great start so far though I'm glad all the preamble
about getting dressed up for the presentations and interviews
is over. Now on to the games!

Asmor

First Post
Just finished up Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks, second in the Night Angel trilogy. Currently reading the third. The first two books were fantastic, and I highly recommend them. Very dark and gritty, some extreme subject matter, and some really interesting concepts and descriptions with respect to magic and other fantasy tropes.

Remove ads