• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Of fun and games; was "WoW is not an RPG"

Deimodius

First Post
I've always considered the difference between RPGs and CRPGs to be a very simple one.

In an RPG, a player may _attempt anything_ (they might not succeed, but there is no limit but your imagination).

In a CRPG a player may only attempt that which is permitted by the programming of the game. You are limited by the limitations of the program.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Rangoric said:
So you NEED a GM? So if you play D&D Solo its not a ROle-Playing Game?
Without an impartial participant as referee, a game is not a role-playing game, in my opinion. If you are playing D&D solo, there is no impartial participant to rule on your actions or control the actions of the NPC actors (characters, monsters, etc.).

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Rangoric said:
So you NEED a GM? So if you play D&D Solo its not a ROle-Playing Game?

Awesome D&D isn't a role-playing game.
Yes, D&D requires at least 2 players:

attachment.php

Attachments

• basic_cover.jpg
    basic_cover.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 114

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Deimodius said:
I've always considered the difference between RPGs and CRPGs to be a very simple one.

In an RPG, a player may _attempt anything_ (they might not succeed, but there is no limit but your imagination).

In a CRPG a player may only attempt that which is permitted by the programming of the game. You are limited by the limitations of the program.
This is true. However, while players MIGHT attempt anything, I think we all know that, in reality, there is a finite number of actions they might attempt. CRPGs/MMORPGs aren't capable of encompassing this complete list yet, but they will be some day. (It's a pretty safe bet to count on more advanced computers capable of running more complex software.) We should probably revisit this debate in a decade. ;)

AllisterH

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
This is true. However, while players MIGHT attempt anything, I think we all know that, in reality, there is a finite number of actions they might attempt. CRPGs/MMORPGs aren't capable of encompassing this complete list yet, but they will be some day. (It's a pretty safe bet to count on more advanced computers capable of running more complex software.) We should probably revisit this debate in a decade. ;)

Heh...Whatever happens when we get holodeck technology? Hell, what happens when we even reach the ability to "jack in" a la Matrix or .hack//SIGN

What about NWN right now? NWN, when run by a DM, basically can do everything that a DM can do now......

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
AllisterH said:
Heh...Whatever happens when we get holodeck technology? Hell, what happens when we even reach the ability to "jack in" a la Matrix or .hack//SIGN
That would be an actual candidate for being a role-playing game.
What about NWN right now? NWN, when run by a DM, basically can do everything that a DM can do now......
In this case, NWN is not itself a role-playing game, but rather a computer interface by which a group can play a role-playing game that is refereed by a human game master.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Gentlegamer said:
Without an impartial participant as referee, a game is not a role-playing game, in my opinion. If you are playing D&D solo, there is no impartial participant to rule on your actions or control the actions of the NPC actors (characters, monsters, etc.).

I've got a copy of Blizzard Pass and the Red Box Basic Set introduction adventure here that kinda disagree with your assumption. ;) Except, of course, if you're now going to tell me that what I did with those two 20 years back wasn't roleplaying either. :lol:

Rangoric

First Post
Gentlegamer said:
In this case, NWN is not itself a role-playing game, but rather a computer interface by which a group can play a role-playing game that is refereed by a human game master.

Exactly my point. You are argueing that NO game is a Role-Playing Game unless the certain instance of it being played is an RPG.

As such you cannot say that D&D is a role-playing game, just as you also can't say NWN is not a role playing game.

All your criterea are outside the box so to speak, and as such eliminate the game as a point of reference. In no instance has your decision for a game be a role-playing game based on the game itself, only what was going on in the game.

Hjorimir said:
Yes, D&D requires at least 2 players:

Page number please? I don't play the basic game. I have a PHB and DMG and MM that have no reference to this.

The basic game has "An Adventure". This "Adventure" is set up for 2-5 people overall to play.

My PHB (which is 1 of the 3 books I require to play the game page 5 PHB under the heading "What you Need to Play") makes no mention of these other people, just that a group of people play (I by myself am a group of 1).

Really, your arguement also says that if you have 6 people you aren't playing D&D anymore.

Remove ads