Official D&D Sage Advice Compendium Updated

Sorry if someone already posted this, but yesterday the Sage Advice Compendium got updated: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium. New things: [NEW] Can a dragonborn sorcerer with a draconic bloodline have two different kinds of Draconic Ancestry? A dragonborn sorcerer can choose a different ancestor for the racial trait and for the Dragon Ancestor feature...

Sorry if someone already posted this, but yesterday the Sage Advice Compendium got updated: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium.

New things:

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a dragonborn sorcerer with a draconic bloodline have two different kinds of Draconic Ancestry? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]A dragonborn sorcerer can choose a different ancestor for the racial trait and for the Dragon Ancestor feature. Your choice for the racial trait is your actual ancestor, while the choice for the class feature could be your ancestor figuratively—the type of dragon that bestowed magic upon you or your family or the kind of draconic artifact or location that filled you with magical energy.

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Do the benefits from Bardic Inspiration and the [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]guidance [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]spell stack? Can they be applied to the same roll? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes, different effects stack if they don’t have the same name. If a creature makes an ability check while it is under the effect of a [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]guidance [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]spell and also has a Bardic Inspiration die, it can roll both a d4 and a d6 if it so chooses.

[NEW]
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Is the intent that a bard gets to know the number rolled on an attack roll or ability check before using Cutting Words, or should they always guess? If used on a damage roll, does Cutting Words apply to any kind of damage roll including an auto-hit spell like [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]magic missile[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]
You can wait to use Cutting Words after the roll, but you must commit to doing so before you know for sure whether the total of the roll or check is a success or a failure. You can use Cutting Words to reduce the damage from any effect that calls for a damage roll (including [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]magic missile[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]) even if the damage roll is not preceded by an attack roll.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Does the fighter’s Action Surge feature let you take an extra bonus action, in addition to an extra action? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Action Surge gives you an extra action, not an extra bonus action. (Recent printings of the [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Player’s Handbook [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]no longer include the wording that provoked this question.)

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a bound and gagged druid simply use Wild Shape to get out? It’s hard to capture someone who can turn into a mouse at will. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Transforming into a different size can be an effective way of escaping, depending on the nature of the bonds or confinement. All things considered, someone trying to keep a druid captive might be wise to stash the prisoner in a room with an opening only large enough for air to enter.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can a monk use Stunning Strike with an unarmed strike, even though unarmed strikes aren’t weapons? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes. Stunning Strike works with melee weapon attacks, and an unarmed strike is a special type of melee weapon attack. The game often makes exceptions to general rules, and this is an important exception: that unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks despite not being weapons.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Can the rogue’s Reliable Talent feature be used in conjunction with Remarkable Athlete or Jack of All Trades? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]No. Each of these features has a precondition for its use; Reliable Talent activates when you make an ability check that uses your proficiency bonus, whereas the other two features activate when you make an ability check that doesn’t use your proficiency bonus. In other words, a check that qualifies for Reliable Talent doesn’t qualify for Remarkable Athlete or Jack of All Trades. And Remarkable Athlete and Jack of All Trades don’t work with each other, since you can add your proficiency bonus, or any portion thereof, only once to a roll.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The Shield Master feat lets you shove someone as a bonus action if you take the Attack action. Can you take that bonus action before the Attack action? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]No. The bonus action provided by the Shield Master feat has a precondition: that you take the Attack action on your turn. Intending to take that action isn’t sufficient; you must actually take it before you can take the bonus action. During your turn, you do get to decide when to take the bonus action after you’ve taken the Attack action. This sort of if-then setup appears in many of the game’s rules. The "if" must be satisfied before the "then" comes into play.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Is there a hard limit on how many short rests characters can take in a day, or is this purely up to the DM to decide? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]The only hard limit on the number of short rests you can take is the number of hours in a day. In practice, you’re also limited by time pressures in the story and foes interrupting.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]If the damage from [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]reduces a half-orc to 0 hit points, can Relentless Endurance prevent the orc from turning to ash? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Yes. The [FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]spell turns you into dust only if the spell’s damage leaves you with 0 hit points. If you’re a half-orc, Relentless Endurance can turn the 0 into a 1 before the spell can disintegrate you.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]What happens if a druid using Wild Shape is reduced to 0 hit points by [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]disintegrate[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]? Does the druid simply leave beast form? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]The druid leaves beast form. As usual, any leftover damage then applies to the druid’s normal hit points. If the leftover damage leaves the druid with 0 hit points, the druid is disintegrated.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Using 5-foot squares, does [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]cloud of daggers [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]affect a single square? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Cloud of daggers [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT](5 ft. cube) can affect more than one square on a grid, unless the DM says effects snap to the grid. There are many ways to position that cube.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]What actions can monsters use to make opportunity attacks? Are Multiattack and breath weapon actions allowed? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]A monster follows the normal opportunity attack rules ([FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]PH[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT], 195), which specify that an attack of opportunity is one melee attack. That means a monster must choose a single melee attack to make, either an attack in its stat block or a generic attack, like an unarmed strike. Multiattack doesn’t qualify, not only because it’s more than one attack, but also because the rule on Multiattack ([FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]MM[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT], 11) states that this action can’t be used for opportunity attacks. An action, such as a breath weapon, that doesn’t include an attack roll is also not eligible.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]The [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]stinking cloud [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]spell says that a creature wastes its action on a failed save. So can it still use a move or a bonus action or a reaction? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Correct. The gas doesn’t immobilize a creature or prevent it from acting altogether, but the effect of the spell does limit what it can accomplish while the cloud lingers.

[NEW]

[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania]Does a creature with Magic Resistance have advantage on saving throws against Channel Divinity abilities, such as Turn the Faithless? [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]Channel Divinity creates magical effects (as stated in both the cleric and the paladin). Magic Resistance applies.

I wish the reply on stinking cloud had been more precise - since losing action loses you your bonus action too. Movement and reactions are fine but *technically* spending your action stretching is not the same as losing your action or cannot take action so this reply means...

Inside stinking cloud with failed save, I can still use bonus action abilities and spells that are otherwise legal.

If that's the actual intent, fine, but it seems off.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
He totally fails to answer the question!

We want to know whether the bard can/should see the number rolled on the d20 so he can get a clue whether or not to use Cutting Words.

We still don't know.

How hard can it be? How hard can it be to answer the darn question?

I think the assumption is that the roll is made out in the open where the bard can see it, but tables differ on this, so the answer allows for tables that use a DM screen as well.

Oofta

Legend
"When you take the Dash action, you gain extra movement for the current turn. "

"With this action, you make one melee or ranged attack. "

The difference is (what I think AB was bringing up) the attack action *is* make an attack. The Dash action is gain extra movement, not use extra movement.

So, my dash action is *done* in toto as soon as I "take it" and I now have the extra movement to use or not. The "action" is resolved. So the "indivisible action" does not apply.

For the "take attack action" with extra attacks the indivisible action applies (JEC) to everything but movement. But there is no additional limit on what that movement is or where it came from.

You seem to be wanting to see dash action as "making the move" like the attack action is "make an attack" but they are distinctly different.

I dont go with the Indivisible action either btw unless the situation makes it so. But Dash and Attack would be different either way.

The rules state that you can use your movement between the attacks of an attack action, not that you can take the dash action to move.

Which is exactly the type of nit-picky BS argument I try to avoid at all costs at my table. I don't want to have to parse out the exact meaning of phrases and words in the document. It's not written like a technical document and I don't want to try to interpret it as one. To me that's one of the strengths of 5E.

I also have other issues with the ruling. It means I couldn't do the following between attacks: misty step as a bonus action between attacks; bonus action healing word an ally; use an action surge to take an action to interact with an object; stab someone with my primary weapon then with my off-hand weapon before attacking with my primary again, etc.

That's just not as fun and slows down the flow of the game for me and my group, so I will continue to ignore it. If other people like the structure that strict parsing of the rules gives them, more power to them.

5ekyu

Hero
The rules state that you can use your movement between the attacks of an attack action, not that you can take the dash action to move.

Which is exactly the type of nit-picky BS argument I try to avoid at all costs at my table. I don't want to have to parse out the exact meaning of phrases and words in the document. It's not written like a technical document and I don't want to try to interpret it as one. To me that's one of the strengths of 5E.

I also have other issues with the ruling. It means I couldn't do the following between attacks: misty step as a bonus action between attacks; bonus action healing word an ally; use an action surge to take an action to interact with an object; stab someone with my primary weapon then with my off-hand weapon before attacking with my primary again, etc.

That's just not as fun and slows down the flow of the game for me and my group, so I will continue to ignore it. If other people like the structure that strict parsing of the rules gives them, more power to them.
"The rules state that you can use your movement between the attacks of an attack action, not that you can take the dash action to move. "

You do not have to take the dash action between your attacks - in this hypothetical case where you can dash and have multiple attacks.

You can dash, now you have extra movement, then use any/all of movement before, after, between attacks.

It seemed like someone was saying that the movement from Dash was an indivisible action. Trying to construe you could not fo stuff while using that Dash movement, but using the movement is **not** part of the Dash action the way making an attack is part of the Attack action.

"stab someone with my primary weapon then with my off-hand weapon before attacking with my primary again, etc."

Any attack can be used with any weapon unless specified otherwise. So, you could strike (say sword dagger pair) with sword and dagger no problem even with his ruling then move on and take any remaining attacks. You would simply be using two of your attacks from the extra attack.

However, I am pretty sure with TWF the bonus action attack csn be used in the middle of the action... between attacks.

"When you take the Attack action and attack with ..."

That seems to key it to an attack so you can even use your bonus action.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
However, I am pretty sure with TWF the bonus action attack csn be used in the middle of the action... between attacks.

That scream bit keys it to an attack so you can even use your bonus action.

Exceeept, weren't you just arguing that Shield Master couldn't put until after all attacks were made because "when you take the Attack action" meant you had to complete the Attack action?

Oofta

Legend
"The rules state that you can use your movement between the attacks of an attack action, not that you can take the dash action to move. "

You do not have to take the dash action between your attacks - in this hypothetical case where you can dash and have multiple attacks.

You can dash, now you have extra movement, then use any/all of movement before, after, between attacks.

It seemed like someone was saying that the movement from Dash was an indivisible action. Trying to construe you could not fo stuff while using that Dash movement, but using the movement is **not** part of the Dash action the way making an attack is part of the Attack action.

"stab someone with my primary weapon then with my off-hand weapon before attacking with my primary again, etc."

Any attack can be used with any weapon unless specified otherwise. So, you could strike (say sword dagger pair) with sword and dagger no problem even with his ruling then move on and take any remaining attacks. You would simply be using two of your attacks from the extra attack.

That scream bit keys it to an attack so you can even use your bonus action.

Let's say I can take dash action in addition to my normal action. Rogue, haste, action surge, whatever.

I attack and kill enemy A. I need 35 ft of movement to get to enemy B. I really want to get to enemy B. I only have 30 ft of movement so I want to move and use the dash action to move my base speed.

I can't do that unless I can break up my attack action with anything other than movement. Dash action grants movement, but it is still an action.

5ekyu

Hero
Exceeept, weren't you just arguing that Shield Master couldn't put until after all attacks were made because "when you take the Attack action" meant you had to complete the Attack action?
Actually let's be clear.
I **do not** in my games require the indivisible action ruling. Have said that several times.
So, **in my games** you can make one attack of your attack action, then use the SM bonus action shove anytime after that, even if you have more of your attack action to finish.

That is different from a discussion about the official rules and rulings.

As for the Indivisible action, there is a difference between the SM BA and the TWF that was in the text you quoted.

SM BA
"If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield."

TWF
"When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon..."

The TWF establishes the attack made as part of the Attack action as also part of the trigger specifically. The SM requires the Attack Action taken.

So it seems the two rules establish a difference, one calling out the individual attack in the trigger while the other triggers on the whole attack action.

(Typically, the SM debates hinges on whether you can ignore the attack part of the Attsck action and get your shove anyway... intent bring sll that matters... to some... but that's another story.)

If SM had the same "attack action and attack..." wording as TWF it would be great... establishing that one attack is required before the special shove and like TWF avoiding any issues of having to finish the attack action. (Pretty much, that's how I use it... putting it squarely behind the wet dream of the shove firsters and the overly odd indivisible action of JEC rulings.)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
ASM BA
"If you take the Attack action on your turn, you can use a bonus action to try to shove a creature within 5 feet of you with your shield."

TWF
"When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon..."

The TWF establishes the attack made as part of the Attack action as also part of the trigger specifically. The SM requires the Attack Action taken.

But both require you to "take the Attack action". One just has more requirements. How is one's taking the attack action different just because it also requires you use a certain weapon?

EDIT: Not that any of this matters from an official standpoint, since every tweet is now unofficial.

Last edited by a moderator:

5ekyu

Hero
But both require you to "take the Attack action". One just has more requirements. How is one's taking the attack action different just because it also requires you use a certain weapon?

EDIT: Not that any of this matters from an official standpoint, since every tweet is now unofficial.
It doesnt require you to use a different weapon alone, it specifically calls out the making of ** an attack.** That establishes the attack of the attack action as the trigger - specifically **an attack** not all attacks - singular.

If you desire to not see that as different yo keep arguing it, that's great, have a blast.

But between shield master and twf only one of them has language specifically calling making one attack as part of the trigger.

Now, like I said, for my own games, I font follow the indivisible action ruling, so as long as you take the attack sction by making one attack, you can then usebthd bonus shove.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
It doesnt require you to use a different weapon alone, it specifically calls out the making of ** an attack.** That establishes the attack of the attack action as the trigger - specifically **an attack** not all attacks - singular.

No it doesn't.
You've the trigger: When you take the Attack action
and you've the restriction: and attack with...

The trigger isn't "When you make an attack with... as part of the Attack action" it's specifically "When you take the Attack action" which is the same as Shield Master.

Of course, I think we're all playing devil's advocate to each other?

5ekyu

Hero
No it doesn't.
You've the trigger: When you take the Attack action
and you've the restriction: and attack with...

The trigger isn't "When you make an attack with... as part of the Attack action" it's specifically "When you take the Attack action" which is the same as Shield Master.

Of course, I think we're all playing devil's advocate to each other?
Wow... Nope, just taking the attack action is not the trigger. The trigger is taking the attack action **and** making an attack with blah blah.

And means both are part of the trigger.

Usually, but I guess not to some.

You do you and... wait no better not add any confusion with another znd...

You just do you.

Remove ads

Remove ads