D&D 5E Official "Domains of Delight" product released on the DMsGuild

Weiley31

Legend
Hmm. Kind of underwhelming, then. I guess it was too much to hope for a mini VRGtR equivalent for the Feywild.
This is probably their way of doing it for the Feywild without having to release a fully standard book for it. Curse of Strahd probably got lucky because a ton of people consider it the best officially published module for 5E and because of the nostalgia for it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Thanks Quondam. I didn't realize this would get its own thread! Here's my thoughts re-posted:

Chapter 1 - Feywild Overview is really well done and full of imminently useful stuff. No clues or easter eggs to speak of, just reiterating that Summer Court = Seelie Court (Titania leads), and Gloaming Court = Unseelie Court (Queen of Air and Darkness leads).

Chapter 2 - Creating an Archfey is four pages that just felt paper thin to me. Not sure how much space was devoted in VGtR for making dark lords, but I feel like it was more comprehensive than this. No clues or easter eggs.

Chapter 3 - Creating a Domain of Delight is short but well done, definitely enough tables to provide you with a creative foundation to springboard off from. At the end, on the Domain Visitors table is mention of an arcanoloth searching for one of the Books of Keeping – which seemed odd, unless the Queen of Air and Darkness is known for binding yugoloths?

Chapter 4 - Putting it All Together covers the archfey Yarnspinner, a paragraph on its domain Fablerise (which is apparently located in Thither within Prismeer), and a full page art spread.

And then there's 13 pages reprinting handouts from Witchlight's appendix: NPC Cards & Story Tracker. Which kind of sucks, because really that stuff should be a free download, in my opinion, for DMs who don't have easy access to a photocopier, who don't want to crack the binding on their book, or who are using a Roll20/Fantasy Grounds copy of the book but want the physical handouts.

But it's going to a good charity, so there's that.
That sounds a little bit disappointing really, you’d think they would have at least expanded on the ‘Factions’ beyond just Seelie/Gloaming (ie Summer, Winter, Court of Stars) and even if they werent allowed to use 4e Lore it would be useful to model some of the existing Archfey/Hags from both DnD and Folklore (Baba Yaga, Titania, Maiden of the Moon etc). Perhaps they do that in the Creating a Domain chapter?

and is it a set of tables like the VR Ravenloft guide?

Faolyn

(she/her)
The Feywild book for 4E is probably gonna be your best bet. Even though its from a previous edition, the 4E stuff for Fey and the Feywild is pretty much unmatched. Combine that with Kobold Press's take on Fey from their Midgard setting plus with Wild Beyond the Witchlight and you should be good for 5E Fey.
So would that be Heroes of the Feywild or something else?

Quickleaf

Legend
That sounds a little bit disappointing really, you’d think they would have at least expanded on the ‘Factions’ beyond just Seelie/Gloaming (ie Summer, Winter, Court of Stars) and even if they werent allowed to use 4e Lore it would be useful to model some of the existing Archfey/Hags from both DnD and Folklore (Baba Yaga, Titania, Maiden of the Moon etc). Perhaps they do that in the Creating a Domain chapter?

and is it a set of tables like the VR Ravenloft guide?
The PDF doesn't go beyond outlining the Summer/Seelie and Gloaming/Unseelie Courts in broad strokes.

Yeah, it's a set of tables (all d8 I think). So, Chp 3: Creating a Domain of Delight has tables like Geographical Features, Domain Theme, Fey Crossings, Shortcut Routines, Drama, Weird Magic Effects, and Domain Visitors. Plus a list of fey-themed monsters by CR.

jgsugden

Legend
There were a number of Dungeon adventures and Dragon articles that featured fey.

Personally - I don't want my players to know anything about the Feywild, so I homebrew everything there except the basic mechanical rules from the core books, and a couple big players (Titania, Oberron, Queen of Air & Darkness). I feel like Feywild works best when the players have no idea what to expect when they stumble into it.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
The 4E Heroes of the Feywild is some of the best fey fluff I've ever read in D&D, and I've been playing for 30+ years. It's really really good stuff, and can be ported without too much difficulty. The stats are problematic, but I like to just recycle ideas anyway and use my own homebrew stats. YMMV.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
A bit disappointing. I wish that it went more in-depth and actually listed different Domains of Delight, like Van Richten's Guide to Ravenloft. Just some statted out Archfey would be nice. I'm not sure if I'm going to get this, but I might. Hopefully they do make a full book version at some point.

Remove ads