Unearthed Arcana Official Unearthed Arcana Survey on Psionic Options Open Now

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think you might need to look up the meaning of the word "suspect". Synonyms: "hunch", "gut feeling", "guess".

If you have the data, you cannot suspect something, because you would know.

Indeed, my point precisely. We have no data to even begin speculation on how these are being received: there isn't a strong correlation between forum chatter and previous UA reception, and I don't even see what I would consider negative chatter about either of the Rogue Subclasses indicated.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
I may be missing something, but is there somewhere a psionics option for sorcerers, or is it just wizards? It would be unfortunate if it's just the extra spells on the list, and not some of the cool thematic abilities such as telepathy.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I may be missing something, but is there somewhere a psionics option for sorcerers, or is it just wizards? It would be unfortunate if it's just the extra spells on the list, and not some of the cool thematic abilities such as telepathy.

The Aberrant Mind option for the Sorcerer came out a few months ago.

Chaosmancer

Legend
So that leaves you with "a short sword you can throw with a weaker Returning property that takes a Bonus Action to retrieve". That's not weak, but it's not strong either. And more importantly it's not doing anything special. For what's supposed to be your signature weapon you might as well be an Assassin with a shortsword for all the effect it has on gameplay. Heck, if your party finds a +1 Shortsword you'd be better off in every way using that until you get Terrifying Blade at 9th Level.

If I roll a Soulknife it's because I want my Psychic Blade to be my weapon of choice, the signature flourish for the character. That means I need a reason not to replace it for the first magic finesse weapon that comes along. Which means it has to be a conduit for other class features that add either raw combat power or unique special attacks. The problem with this draft is that there's only two of those and you get them at 9th and 17th Level. That's a lot of campaign time before the Psychic Blade gives you a real incentive to use it.

One thing I considered back when the issue of "the first time I find a magic rapier it is a better weapon) came up was to allow the Soul Knife to absorb and imprint a weapon on their mind.

Essentially, they would be able to take the magic of the weapon and adjust their psychic blade to fit it.

So, if you get a +1 shortsword, you absorb it, destroying the sword and getting a +1 psychic blade. If later you find a shortsword that does 1d6 fire damage on a hit, you absorb that one and one blade can be +1 and the other has fire damage.

This could rather quickly be homebrewed or logicked into a very powerful set of weapons, but it would require destroying a lot of magical equipment and I think it could be fun and interesting with the right group.

Kurotowa

Legend
One thing I considered back when the issue of "the first time I find a magic rapier it is a better weapon) came up was to allow the Soul Knife to absorb and imprint a weapon on their mind.

Essentially, they would be able to take the magic of the weapon and adjust their psychic blade to fit it.

That's basically the solution they already implemented for Blade Pact Warlocks but with an extra item destruction twist. As such I can't say it's a terrible idea, but there are some issues. How does it interact with sentient weapons? Does the base damage die change if you imprint a rapier or dagger? For that matter, what restrictions are there are on what weapons can be imprinted? It can't just be proficiency or else a Soulknife with a multiclass dip can be imprinting greatswords and halberds.

Still, it's in the direction I suspect they may have to go.

Chaosmancer

Legend
That's basically the solution they already implemented for Blade Pact Warlocks but with an extra item destruction twist. As such I can't say it's a terrible idea, but there are some issues. How does it interact with sentient weapons? Does the base damage die change if you imprint a rapier or dagger? For that matter, what restrictions are there are on what weapons can be imprinted? It can't just be proficiency or else a Soulknife with a multiclass dip can be imprinting greatswords and halberds.

Still, it's in the direction I suspect they may have to go.

Well, for most of this I would say "how crazy do you want to get, Dungeon Master?"

For me, sentient items are always immensely powerful artifacts. Even attempting to destroy one of those is going to be a massive challenge and I'll have to make up rules for essentially having a duel of souls if the player wants to try it.

Changing base die? I'd allow it. The idea is to let them take the weapon and make a psychic version of it. So, Rapier would be fine, but it might lose the light property if you did.

And, I never consider multi-class. Combine that with the idea that I think a psychic greatsword of halberd sounds dope, I would probably allow it, and again, it would lose light, gain two-handed. ect.

But, this is just how I'd do it off the cuff.

Edit: And before we get a discussion about "sneak attack with Greatsword" I have a point. To multi-class they will likely give up more than one level, for fighter they usually take at least 2. Which, puts them behind on sneak attack, usually by a single d6. Meaning the advantage of the d6 they gain on the weapon is negated by the d6 they lost from sneak attack. IMO.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases