• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OGL question... (Teflon said to ask clark Peterson)

Geist

First Post
OK here it goes..

I have a d20 supplement idea that would be usefull in many modern d20 or slightly futuristic games..

However as im designing this i have two main books currently in mind. The first one Being Spycraft, and the second Being d20 Modern.

Now the thing is id like to make this book so it could be easily used with both systems (ie: include budget points. as well as the wealth system from d20 modern) in such a way as both books could use it.

Now heres my questions..

1) How do i find out if budget points and Gadget points are OGL or if i can use them in the book?

2) Am i allowed (or how would i go about being allowed) putting a sign on the book so that people knew it was able to be easily used for both Spycraft or for d20 modern?

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

2WS-Steve

First Post
The Spycraft stuff will be a bit tricky. The rules for gadgets and how to acquire them are designated as open content (but not threat codes) but it's a little unclear if you're just restricted to rules text and what that would mean if it were the case; probably best to email AEG and see what they have to say.

You cannot use a trademark nor indicate compatiblity with a trademark if you release a work under the OGL unless you get special permission. Thus you'd also need to contact AEG to mention Spycraft on your cover.

edit: To find out what you can use you need to look at the open content and product identity designations; most of this work is done on page 286 but there's a bit on page 3 too.

Last edited:

Dismas

First Post
You also need to remeber that Wound Points / Vitalty are NOT Open Gaming Content. AEG got special permission from WoTC to use it.

There have been rumours that WP/VP will be made Open, possibly in a issue of Polyhedron, but I have seen no dates or anything concrete.

I have heard that the full d20 Modern SRD will be released shortly after the main rule book.

Geist

First Post
*nods* very true im aware that VP/WP has not been added to OGL yet though last ive heard its going to be added.

Though im just starting this project.. and im sure by the time i need to do anything with HP or VP/WP it will be out.

and thanks for the info Both of you ^_^

Orcus

First Post
I'm not gonna be much help on this one. I am not up on d20 modern or on Spycraft. You would need to get the OGC that is being distributed to publishers for d20 Modern. Contact Anthony Valterra at WotC for that. As for Spycraft, I would contact AEG directly.

1. If budget points are OGC from d20 modern you would find that out by getting the d20 modern content guide for publishers as mentioned above.

2. I dont know if you can say "compatible with d20 modern", that would most likely be detailed in part of the above document (which I dont have). Publishers who do have that material please jump in and answer this one.

3. Compatible with Spycraft, as previous posters have mentioned, requires permission of AEG.

Clark

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads