• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oh, those hilarious Evony ads...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
With all due respect, folks, "me too" posts aren't terribly useful; I'm more than aware of the general opinion of the ads. The position we're in is that we can't cut of the ads without cutting off Google completely - and doing that kills us permanently.

Suggestions or solutions will be more than gratefully received! One angle might be how to replace Google Adsense with actual advertisers.

My current though is to pay someone (commission based, say 10%) to act as aproactive ad manager for EN World and actively pursue potential advertisers. I've tried it before, though, and enthusiasm for the job drops off very quickly!

William Ronald

Explorer
The ads seem to promise entertainment for what H.L. Mencken termed the booboisie. ;)

Maybe someone should take Morrus up on his offer to seek advertisers. In a community this large, there should be someone with the skills and background to go over ads from potential advertisers and make a good sales pitch for the site. (The size of this community is a very strong selling point.) One thing that might be a good idea is to have a page for an inventory of advertisers, where someone can click a link called advertisers and see ads for them. (A friend who runs a radio show here in Phoenix has tiles on his website for advertisers.) It may also be possible to run video or audio clips in that section. (With a little coding, something from the add section could appear in one of the side panels.)

I have found the talent pool at EN World to be vast, and I think that if we are tired of some ads, we as a COMMUNITY can do something about it.

I also like Kid Charlemagne's suggestion. If Evony is violating Google's rules, then informing Google could work.

Thanee

First Post
I specifically have ENWorld on AdBlock's whitelist to allow ads to be shown on these pages, and Evony's advertisements are strongly making me rethink that decision.

Heh. EN-World is, in fact, the only site, which made me put it on my (very small) list of sites that are heavily modified when showing up in my browser (complete removal of all ads, sidebar, most of the header, etc). It's not even that the ads are annoying (some are even funny), but they take up space in such an annoying fashion. After the changes, the site shows up nice and clean. :D

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Remove ads