• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oh yeah, Robert Wiese's my new best friend...

Jeremy

Explorer
Wizards of the Coast Website

"The price of the new magic item, ring of haste, is based on the ring of blinking, which is also a user-activated effect based on a 3rd-level wizard spell."

"New Magic Item:

** Ring of Haste: When activated, the wearer is affected by a haste spell. Caster level: 7th; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, haste; Market Price: 30,000 gp."

:D

Oh yeah.

kreynolds

First Post
Jeremy said:
"The price of the new magic item, ring of haste, is based on the ring of blinking, which is also a user-activated effect based on a 3rd-level wizard spell."

Of course, it only lasts 5 rounds, then it has to be activated again. And what the hell is "user-activated"!? Were they just making sure that they didn't start any confusion and that people would somehow think that the ring was "self-activated", turning itself on and off randomly?

Alejandro

First Post
I think he meant "use-activated", and I think he modeled the Ring of Haste after the Ring of Blinking, which doesn't have a duration as far as I can tell.

kreynolds

First Post
Alejandro said:
I think he meant "use-activated"

I figured as much.

Alejandro said:
and I think he modeled the Ring of Haste after the Ring of Blinking, which doesn't have a duration as far as I can tell.

However, he stated "when activated" under the description of the Ring of Haste, which means that if it must be activated, it will expire after a time, which is 5 rounds at minimum level, which is what he priced it at. If it was constant and didn't expire, it would be much more expensive.

Henrix

Explorer
kreynolds said:
However, he stated "when activated" under the description of the Ring of Haste, which means that if it must be activated, it will expire after a time, which is 5 rounds at minimum level, which is what he priced it at. If it was constant and didn't expire, it would be much more expensive.

It should be more expensive.

But there's nothing in "command activated" that requires it to be limited in time.
(I don't know where you got that from, krey, but it's not in the rules.)

The Ring of Blinking does not have a time limit, but for certain reasons, you do not want to be Blinking all the time.
Not so with Haste.
The Ring of Haste, as described, is activated by a command (I suppose), and lasts until you shut it off.

kreynolds

First Post
I'm gonna try and be objective and fair as possible here.

Henrix said:
It should be more expensive.

Not really. It only lasts 5 rounds.

Henrix said:
But there's nothing in "command activated" that requires it to be limited in time.
(I don't know where you got that from, krey, but it's not in the rules.)

The Ring of Haste on WotC's website says nothing about "command activated", so I don't know what the heck you're talkin' about.

Henrix said:
The Ring of Blinking does not have a time limit, but for certain reasons, you do not want to be Blinking all the time.
Not so with Haste.
The Ring of Haste, as described, is activated by a command (I suppose), and lasts until you shut it off.

Maybe. But there is no hard and fast rule about balancing a magic item by adjusting it's price. In the case of a Ring of Haste, 30,000gp will get you 5 rounds, unlimited charges. That's just me. But like I said, there is no hard and fast rule.

Last edited:

Henrix

Explorer
Drawing conclusions from the price of the item as to what (you think) it ought to do is not OK.

The Ring, as described:
Ring of Haste: When activated, the wearer is affected by a haste spell. Caster level: 7th; Prerequisites: Forge Ring, haste; Market Price: 30,000 gp.

It says "When activated". What else can it be, but command activated? (It could be use activated, or possibly spell trigger, but the Ring of Blinking is Command Word activated, and I think that is what was meant.)

There's nothing in the item description that says it is limited in time. The Ring of Blinking is not.

I think it ought to be, but that is another matter. As it is described it is not.

One fix is to limit it to 5 rounds. But even 5 rounds an unlimited times per day is too much.

Remove ads