Old Gods of Appalachia

Aldarc

Legend
Niche protection isn’t actually accomplished anywhere in the damn game, it just makes it awkward to make broadly capable characters that perform well in tier 1, in spite of saying explicitly that the game is not “zero to hero” and the PCs are meant to be experienced and competent when the game begins.
I think that this says more about your own assumptions about what is meant by "experienced and competent" than any failure of the game. In my actual experience of running the Cypher System for about eight years, the starting characters are broadly competent.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think that this says more about your own assumptions about what is meant by "experienced and competent" than any failure of the game. In my actual experience of running the Cypher System for about eight years, the starting characters are broadly competent.
Ignoring the obnoxiously unnecessary personal snark, if you recall the OP, I literally asked what I’m missing here. 🤷‍♂️

doctorbadwolf

I respectfully think that you may be reading snark into my comment where there is genuinely none.

Edit: Don't worry. I will get around to addressing the latter point when I have more time. 😀
Generally the “says more about you/your XYZ” construction is used almost exclusively for snark, at best.

If that isn’t how you were intending to use it, fair enough.

Aldarc

Legend
Generally the “says more about you/your XYZ” construction is used almost exclusively for snark, at best.

If that isn’t how you were intending to use it, fair enough.
I meant that there may likely be mismatched expectations about what is meant when the authors write that “this isn’t a zero to hero game, you’re already competent and experienced." Cypher System characters are fairly capable right out of the gate. The zero to hero progression tends to be flatter and less drastic than in D&D. The player characters will have abilities and tricks at their disposal that they can use. IME, the starting Cypher System character tends to be more durable and capable than your average starting D&D 5e character.

I will also add that the Cypher System has options for picking abilities outside of the character's type. They call these options "Flavor." So Flavor are thematic options that the GM or player can use to modify characters. A player can trade one ability from their Type for an ability from the Flavor of their choice. Sample Flavors in the Revised Cypher System Rulebook include Stealth, Technology, Magic, Combat, and Knowledge. These Flavors were likely outside of the scope of this Old Gods of Appalachia book, but you are obviously free to add these as you like. Combat Flavor, for example, includes options for weapons and armor training at Tier 1.

Nijay

Explorer
I'll take a look through my pdf this weekend (still waiting on the deluxe book) and try to suggest a RAW character build.

But since this turned into something of a review of OGoA thread I wanted to add that after skimming through it, I am thinking there's very little content here - for example I feel the bestiary is about a hundred entries short. I'm just disappointed in the book in general as I perceive it more as an equivalent to a setting guide than as a standalone TTRPG core book. I think Trophy Dark crossed with another system could be a better starting point for an Old Gods style campaign. Or running Call of Cthulhu on its own.

I guess the point of what I'm saying is I don't feel like sticking to the RAW is as valuable for OGoA though I tend to be very "lawful" in general. I feel like I would be open to swapping abilities and bonuses a la carte since the focus is more on the story that's being told than the system that facilitates the action.

doctorbadwolf

I meant that there may likely be mismatched expectations about what is meant when the authors write that “this isn’t a zero to hero game, you’re already competent and experienced." Cypher System characters are fairly capable right out of the gate. The zero to hero progression tends to be flatter and less drastic than in D&D. The player characters will have abilities and tricks at their disposal that they can use. IME, the starting Cypher System character tends to be more durable and capable than your average starting D&D 5e character.

I will also add that the Cypher System has options for picking abilities outside of the character's type. They call these options "Flavor." So Flavor are thematic options that the GM or player can use to modify characters. A player can trade one ability from their Type for an ability from the Flavor of their choice. Sample Flavors in the Revised Cypher System Rulebook include Stealth, Technology, Magic, Combat, and Knowledge. These Flavors were likely outside of the scope of this Old Gods of Appalachia book, but you are obviously free to add these as you like. Combat Flavor, for example, includes options for weapons and armor training at Tier 1.
Thanks for the info. That clears it up a bit. I’d gladly trade my Wrap ability for training in light weapons.

I don’t think the book mentions that at all, and idk if it ever says that Cypher System stuff outside the book is considered fair game, but that’s a convo for the actual group I play with.
Or running Call of Cthulhu on its own.
I have trouble imagining that working, tbh. Old Gods isn’t old school cosmic horror. Oppositional to the deep dark is The Green, and there are powerful folk who protect others and hold back the darkness. IME CoC is much better at hopeless battles where the PCs are all they can lean on. In Old Gods, the folk doing the fighting can lean on thier community, seek council from wise folk with deep knowledge, gather tools and secrets to make it manageable to stop something from the dark from eating people, etc.

The Thing Whose Name Sounds Like Horned Head But Is Not can be kept at bay with a strong warding spell. The Dead Queen can be kept in slumber and can be put back into slumber if it goes wrong and she starts to wake. (Although that did cost some lives)

Old gods has costs for standing at in the shadow and keeping it from swallowing your town, but it isn’t hopeless, you aren’t a fool to try.

As someone born in the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia, I can say that Appalachia is a specific region within the Appalachian Mountain range. Not everyone living in the mountains is living in Appalachia. Appalachia is Hillbillies and the Hatfield-McCoy feud.

Last edited:

Remove ads