D&D General Old School DND talks if DND is racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasper

Rotten DM
Nick Cole responses to upcoming Wired article which hints that DnD fans are racists. Nice Cole is author. His books are Ctrl Alt Revolt, Soda Pop Soldier: A novel #1. Kind of cyberpunk.
Both people wander all over the subject. IT is about 41 minutes long.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
First D&D is Satanic. Then it's Antisocial. Now it's Racist.

Well, yeah. I mean, not the Satanic part, but...

D&D is people. Lots of people. And, much as we may like to think otherwise, there's nothing about RPGs that selects against any of the bad traits of humanity.

So, racism, sexism, and such - you'll find them here, like you'll find them anywhere. The question for each of us is whether we dismissively wave it away, or whether we look at it and work to change that.

I haven't watched the video yet, but... a couple of older white men talking about racism? Not sure that's going to be relevatory.

Oofta

Legend
Any summary? I don't really want to make the time to listen to it, but I am curious.

Are there a few sentences here and there in the books that could be interpreted as racist? Sure. Is the game overall racist? I don't think so, no more than any other mass entertainment. It's virtually impossible for something like D&D to not have small bits and pieces that can be cherry picked to make a case for anything you want.

People see legitimate issues in the culture at large, D&D is a big target, I think many of the issues are projection. Doesn't mean we should not try to be aware of the issues, but D&D is just a ruleset.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten

jasper

Rotten DM
Any summary? I don't really want to make the time to listen to it, but I am curious.

Are there a few sentences here and there in the books that could be interpreted as racist? Sure. Is the game overall racist? I don't think so, no more than any other mass entertainment. It's virtually impossible for something like D&D to not have small bits and pieces that can be cherry picked to make a case for anything you want.

People see legitimate issues in the culture at large, D&D is a big target, I think many of the issues are projection. Doesn't mean we should not try to be aware of the issues, but D&D is just a ruleset.
Best summary I can give. Some players maybe racists but the Author of the article is just picking on D&D to get notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases