D&D General Old School DND talks if DND is racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
So, whatever you do in your own game, it's vital that you know what everybody else does too? Because that affects your enjoyment of your own game in some manner?
We can all do whatever we want in our games. So why is anyone bothering to discuss it? Obviously, since we're at 1000 posts and counting, there must be some larger point at stake here.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We can all do whatever we want in our games. So why is anyone bothering to discuss it? Obviously, since we're at 1000 posts and counting, there must be some larger point at stake here.
You're the one demanding to know what the standard is. And then claiming that you'll continue to do what you want to do and not worry about the consequences. I mean, make your mind up? Is it important to you what everybody is doing, or do you not care?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
And the Great Wheel Comes crashing down.

You might not like the Planescape setting but it’s been a big part of the game for a very long time.

I don’t like the idea of jettisoning it without a damn good reason.
I think having fixed alignment as a setting-specific conceit is probably fine. We’re really more worried about default presentations, aren’t we?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Your'e the one demanding to know what the standard is. And then claiming that you'll continue to do what you want to do and not worry about the consequences. I mean, make your mind up? Is it important to you what everybody is doing, or do you not care?
Both? I'm going to do whatever the hell I want in my own private game, but that doesn't mean I have no concern as to what is accepted discourse within the larger community.

And I'm not demanding a standard. (How could I possibly do that?) I'm just asking if anyone can offer me one. @Charlaquin offered one a few posts ago, and it's quite a reasonable one that I'll be thinking about.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Tieflings aren’t demons. In modern D&D they aren’t even descendants of fiends. They’re literally people who got marked by deals with devils.
Heh - shows how little attention I've been paying to the lore of late - I still see them as being, in effect, 3e-style Half-Demons under a different name.
Which has elements of witch trial type thinking that people largely use to subvert and “own”
A connection I'd never made or even considered until now, and at best it's a very loose one.
and tieflings have thus become important to a lot of pagan and queer D&D players.
Not to this Pagan, nor to anyone in our mostly-Pagan crew that I know of.

Why is not killing things on sight confusing to you?
  • Your party has been traveling in the Underdark for weeks, and nearly wiped out by the hostile inhabitants several times. The scout spots a warband of troglodytes approaching down the tunnel. There is nowhere to hide or evade. Prepare to ambush with prepared spells, or enter into negotiations?

• You come across a glade where an ettin hunches over the corpses of several hunters. Roll initiative, or hail and parlay?

• Taking refuge in a cliffside cave, you’re alarmed to discover that it’s the lair of a group of frost giants who are now returning from the hunt. The cave is littered with bones, some of them humanoid. Blast the giants as they approach the cave, or wait until they draw near and engage them in dialogue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads