D&D General Old School DND talks if DND is racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
There are hundreds of sentient beings in D&D from aarakroca to zorbos, and we are suggesting multiple diverse cultural elements for each. That's heavy lifting for any guide book to do.
Is something that can be worth it.

Warlords of Draenor, the World of Warcraft expansion generally considered not great, at least gets highly regarded for taking what were previously just small footnotes from Warcraft 2 and expanding those out into visually distinct orcish cultures with their own themes that don't tend to overlap

Had room for like 3 more as well but didn't go with them

jasper

Rotten DM
I think that's an excellent idea! Let the DM decide the alignment of any given individual creature. Good thinking.
Also let the DM decide the alignment of an given non pc race. Good Thinking. I want them zero calorie care free XP.

Remathilis

Legend
Is something that can be worth it.

Warlords of Draenor, the World of Warcraft expansion generally considered not great, at least gets highly regarded for taking what were previously just small footnotes from Warcraft 2 and expanding those out into visually distinct orcish cultures with their own themes that don't tend to overlap

Had room for like 3 more as well but didn't go with them
Which works because WoW only has one setting to worry about: Azeroth. WotC is prepping it's sixth official setting book, plus countless homebrew settings rely on the core rules as point of origin. Not only do you need to create multiple cultures, per species, but put setting too?

I'm pretty sure you'd end up with "these elves are basically French" after a while.

Bagpuss

Legend
Maybe? I mean, it’s certainly something that draws me to such characters. As I said in the other post, I love Tieflings, and that’s absolutely an element of them that appeals to me. Heck, I’d even say Tieflings would lose something if that element was removed. The thing is, I don’t think the goal should be to excise all prejudice from the setting. It should be to insure that the in-fiction prejudices aren’t objectively correct within the setting. It’s fine with me if there is a cultural bias against Tieflings, or Orcs, or whatever, as long as the fiction demonstrates those biases to be misplaced.
Would the bias against Mind Flayers be also misplaced?

Also if orcs are constantly attacking your nation is the bias misplaced, or based on experience?

Democratus

Adventurer
No, it doesn’t. You have made a wildly incredible claim supported by nothing.
Just because you don't read current events doesn't mean that a claim is "supported by nothing". Your ignorance is not a solid argument.

Killing invading nazis isn’t murder. The end.
Again, wrong. See the number of war crimes and murders committed against invading Nazis.

You seem to have many opinions anchored in a complete lack of historical data.

Mallus

Legend
Good lich seems easy.

They're created with the blessing of a neutral or good death god's temple and serve as special guardians, defenders of the faith in times of crises, or even revered, immortal teachers.

I think there's one in the campaign I recently joined, come to think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads