On Fantasy Names (Resurrected Rant)

Forrester

First Post
From the archives and for old time's sake, per Piratecat's request . . . (I hope Eric's Grandmother doesn't mind a certain phrase . . .)
-------------------

Those of you who have been taking notes know that the first lecture in the Ass-Sucking series is entitled, roughly,

"Where in the hell did you get that character name? It sounds like something from a Robert Jordan book. Loser."

Admittedly, the title could use trimming, but your Esteemed Lecturer has one too many Bloody Marys in him to worry about that right now.

The point is, there are three basic ways in which to mangle a perfectly good name, and expose yourself to contempt, ridicule, and (hopefully) beatings. Which you deserve, because you suck ass.

1) Replace some, most, or all of the vowels in the words with "Y's".

2) Spell perfectly good words in an extraordinarily stupid way. A great way to start is to replace single vowels with pairs or triplets of vowels. Favorites include "ae", "ii", "uu", "aia", "aie", "ion", and "aeaiaiaiaieaeaa".

3) Spell completely made-up words with strings of mostly vowels and/or apostophes. Italicize them if possible, and make them long, long, long.

We'll start with examples from the Master of Dumb Names, Robert Jordan, and move on from there.

Now, let's look at some specific combinations of the above rules.
For instance, note Jordan's expert application of Rule #2:

"Julian" becomes "Juilin"
"Tom" becomes "Thom"
"Brigit" becomes "Birgitte"
"Samuel" becomes "Sammael" (note the expertise use of the "ae" substitution)
"Grendel" becomes "Graendal" (once again, the "ae" touch is wonderfully and painfully applied)
"Elaine" becomes "Elayne", because everyone likes "Y's".

And Rule #3:
"Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan". The only way this name could possibly be improved is with another "y" or two.
"Tel'aran'rhiod" (italicized). I was dissapointed not to find at least one "y" in there, but it was a good effort nonetheless.

Other good general examples include:
"Aiel". Painful.
"Nynaeve". Couldn't he have squeezed another "y" in there?

Of course, as we all know, the Mind-Dribble Fantasy Naming Disease is hardly limited to Robert Jordan. In my day I have seen such mutations as these:

Raevynn. I expect that this was originally "Raven". Someone who would spell a name in this way clearly deserves a thrashing.

Fayredeth. Was this original "Fairy-Death" or "Fire-Death"? It's difficult to say, but the bastardization here is excellent.

Eiwydh. Hell, I don't even know how to pronounce it.

Liriel Baenre. Note the expert use of the "iel" that all elf-lovers like to tack onto names. And the use of the "ae" letter pair is textbook.

Vympyre Twylyght. Why not speed things up and change your name to "Bitch-slap me, now, please"?

Of course, if you're too lazy to do the vowel substitution or the "Y" substitution, you can settle with tacking two words together that seem kind of medieval or poetic. Throw some vaguely violent or tough word in front of it, and there you go: instant Mind-Dribble Fantasy name. (Of course, substitutions after the fact only make the name stronger.)

Try it! I will, right here.

Storm Battleblade
Fyre Windhope
Granite Mountynblast
Morningstar Hammersword
Flatulence Piratecat

Fun for the whole family.

Now, I know you're wondering, what makes a GOOD name? A good name is something that isn't a regular old real-world name, but also clearly isn't something that is likely to appear in the kind of fantasy books written to appeal to twelve year olds. You know, something with *style*. We have some great examples on these very boards:

Teflon Billy
Caliban
Wippit Guud (at first, this seems to follow the "dumb name" rules, but the pun is worth it)
Forrester (duh)
Fajitas
Grumpy Dwarf (straight and to the point)
Schmoo
Wisp
tec7813

Now, I know what you're thinking -- you just picked these names because you like the posters. You couldn't be further from the truth. In fact, it is safe to say that I am filled with hatred towards the vast majority of them. Their posts are insipid and dull, and should be deleted (much like this thread will likely be) immediately by the Grand Poobah himself, EricNoah. (Incidentally, both "Grand Poobah" and "EricNoah" would make excellent character names.) But that is beyond the point. Regardless of their general level of doltishness, the above users have EXCELLENT names, and should be applauded for them.

Follow their example, and you will not suck ass. What better advice can be given?

Any quystyons? If not, we'll move on to why the Drow suck ass. But first I need to hit the sycke and sleepe this offe.

Forrester

Huw

First Post
You've made me smile at least :)

The other day, trying get past writers block, I thought I'd come up with a whole bunch of family names so that I wouldn't struggle to come up with names for my minor characters. I was just brainstorming.

Going back over them now, an alarming number of them sound like cheeses. This is the sort of thing going through my head as I read them back.

"I'll have a fine slice of Gardelot."
"The Hespburgher goes well with wine."
"You'll love the rich taste of Montagne."

:heh:

Reckon some ys and apostrophes'll improve matters?

Nylanfs

Adventurer
One way that I've started avoinding coming up with "Names to be Ridiculed"(tm) is using the random name generator in PCGen. It has a lot of real world european name sets in it, plus a lot of fantasy themed name sets, and finally it has the 1990 US Census names in it. And you can get some pretty darn interesting name combinations just from that set.

Korgoth

First Post
While we're at it, have you ever noticed how many Dwarven names include things like "Axe", "Beard", "Stone" and "Hammer"? It's as if Dwarves name themselves after their own racial stereotypes.

"Well met, adventurer. I am the Dwarven Blacksmith, Axebeard Stonehammer."

C'mon. I'm sure we've all heard that one before.

And let us not forget this true-to-life offender: Flint Fireforge. That's right, he's named after a type of stone, a blacksmithing implement and something that said implement contains.

Go ahead and try coming up with some of your own! I'll get you started:

Axebeard Stonehammer
Flint Fireforge
Stonebeard Flinthammer
Rockbeard Flintaxe
Rockhammer Stoneaxe
Forgehammer Firebeard
Rockbeard Goldhammer
Goldaxe Flintrock
Rockaxe Flintgold
Flintbeard Ironhammer
Flinthammer Ironbeard
Flintaxe Ironstone
Ironaxe Hammerbeard
Stoneaxe Hammerflint
Axeaxe Flintflint
Hammeraxe Axehammer

:D

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Careful!
"Tom" becomes "Thom"

Thom could be short for Thomas, a perfectly legit spelling of the name.

"Samuel" becomes "Sammael" (note the expertise use of the "ae" substitution)

Samuel is an anglicization of the original Samael/Sammael, an angel from the Talmud.

"Elaine" becomes "Elayne",

AFAIK, Elayne is a fairly common spelling of the name.

I generally agree with the rest...but you can find some truly atrocious RW names in Paul Dickson's Names, like:
Preserved Algar
Blaise Arsement
Uneeda Bias
Quo Vadis Gates
Gun-Britt Mbuthia
Wyoma Ubelhor
A. Toxin Worm
Trougout Zumm

or this classic from the 1850 Alabama Census:
James W.G.T.C.H.K.A.G.E Smith

My Mom was a music teacher at Landry HS in New Orleans, where she encountered Pslm Civ (that's right, the abbreviation for "Psalm One Hundred Four")

Zurai

First Post
Forrester said:
"Tom" becomes "Thom"
"Brigit" becomes "Birgitte"
"Samuel" becomes "Sammael"
"Elaine" becomes "Elayne", because everyone likes "Y's".

All of those are real names - past or present.

Eiwydh. Hell, I don't even know how to pronounce it.

That's because its based (or at least wants to appear to be based) in Welsh or a similar language, where dh is a common letter and w and y are normal vowels.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
I suppose it is off topic to reply with this, but those dwarf names are probably just the dwarf's common tongue nickname. For example, in Middle-earth, the dwarven language is a secret and not shared with non-dwarves, not even their true names. They use the language and names of men that they live near (hence the Nordic dwarf names in Tolkien are rationalized as the dwarves borrowing the "nordic" languages of the men of Dale and north-eastern Wilderlands, kin to the people that became the Rohirrim with their Anglo-Saxon-esque names).

On topic: quite funny, especially the digs at Robert Jordan's Waste of Time series. :]

By the way, no one had better make fun of the name Ffleweddur Fflam! :D

SPoD

First Post
Korgoth said:
Axeaxe Flintflint

My god, I want to play a character with this name. Axeaxe Flintflint, dwarven stutterer!

Although it is still trumped by a character I once heard tell of, the dwarven eunuch warlock Duncan Nonuts.

Remove ads