D&D (2024) On Feats & ASIs

I think that is a bit unfortunate. I would like background, race, and class to be fairly independent decisions
So much this. Backgrounds are perhaps my favorite thing about 5e, I love taking "unexpected" ones. If they carry attribute bonuses, it'll be harder to justify doing that.

Much better to put the bonus on the class! That's what people want them for!

So much this. Backgrounds are perhaps my favorite thing about 5e, I love taking "unexpected" ones. If they carry attribute bonuses, it'll be harder to justify doing that.

I don’t mind a bonus being associated with your background, though I get your point, but it shouldn’t dominate IMO: so maybe background gives a +1, and class gives a +1, and a third source gives a +1 or something. Or maybe background gives +1 (with 2 stat choices) and class gives +2 and class and background bonus can’t stack.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer

However if they keep it like it is in the olaytests and on the rules you can freely change what feat and ABI the background gives you. So you are playing a city guard and you desire that you want your bonus to be in wisdom or maybe even charisma instead of strength or con that is easily doable. It is even built in to the rules.

I think Black Flag has the best place for the bonuses -- at attribute selection/generation. Don't connect them to anything.
I thought about that, and there’s a certain elegance to it, but ultimately, I find it unsatisfying. If we’re going to give bonuses, then it should be a bonus for some thing. Otherwise don’t call it a bonus, it’s just another attribute point. And face it I’d rather have a bonus even if it all adds up the same.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I don’t mind a bonus being associated with your background, though I get your point, but it shouldn’t dominate IMO: so maybe background gives a +1, and class gives a +1, and a third source gives a +1 or something. Or maybe background gives +1 (with 2 stat choices) and class gives +2 and class and background bonus can’t stack.
Or class giving +1 each to the two stats that they have saving throw proficiency in and background to a choice of two. I think they ought to continue their use of "it goes here, unless you chose to put it somewhere else" that they've done in the spelltest with proficiencies and spell selection and the like. (Either take their default choices or make your own). Nothing need be set in stone.

I thought about that, and there’s a certain elegance to it, but ultimately, I find it unsatisfying. If we’re going to give bonuses, then it should be a bonus for some thing. Otherwise don’t call it a bonus, it’s just another attribute point. And face it I’d rather have a bonus even if it all adds up the same.

Yeah, it might as well be a 32 point buy or a bigger array at that point. Which makes rolling that much worse, I guess, though IME that's balanced by the fact that no one ever plays a character that's rolled complete garbage, but are happy to play when they roll gangbusters. The math average is not seen at the table, IME, with rolled characters. Not even close.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Yep. They just increase the stats. Not a bonus at all.

It's not my opinion.

Black Flag/Tales of the Valiant removed bonuses and just increased starting attributes
I thought you making a comment about a simple attribute bump not being a bonus, irrespective of how it is given. My misunderstanding.

Ok, that is disappointing. I was already losing interest in BF, I guess this is just pushing me further away

Remove ads