Level Up (A5E) On making a region encounter generator

rouboudou

Villager
Guys, your reactions (except @Eyes of Nine ) are really strange to me.

@bedir than "create the universe"? What are you talking about? A simple nodejs project+database is easy to define with the proper tools and fortunately, thousands of them are created every day. The most complicated is to have the correct design. And when looking at open5e , I know what I am talking about (and those guys too).

In software, we create open source projects and collaborate to them freely, yes freely. For sure, there is no real commitment on dates but interesting projects progress. That's exactly the objective and methodology of open5e , the same project advertised by @Morrus himself in the very EN podcast!

So excuse me to react when I see @Morrus loosing his precious time doing non reusable painful developments whereas his contribution in a simple software project initiated by him could be much more valuable! If I believed the idea was stupid, I would not have reacted. But I think @Morrus is right about the intention, right about advertising open5e but should think about another setup for the realization.

But maybe I am reasoning as an IT guy, like we do on github, collaborating on projects.

So, just imagine 1 minute: Suppose you, @Morrus, are calling your large ENworld community where some IT guys are hidden (like @Eyes of Nine ) to create some simple software (in PHP if you are familiar to it) based on simple specs from you. This would open 2+1 kinds of discussions:
  • Data structure: how are the date are structured, stored in a database (what database?), and transported on the network;
  • Software architecture: how the simple software should be built to minimize manual works for it to be integrated into an existing website, and to feed it with some structured content, easy (and not painful) to produce;
  • Complementary discussion: suppose I am @Morrus, not an IT guy who is "not going to take a college course!", can you, guys of the EN community, propose me a simple tool, let's say a web form, so that I copy paste my content in it and it generates the structure content for my database, so that I am not concerned with the dirty crappy technical details?
Surely, this tool would be reusable for some people having the same questions than you. As it would be open source, you would just define your CSS to style your version and others could use the same software skinned differently.

You would be the "sponsor" (and first user) for this project.

Considering you have the right idea at the right time, you are running in the good direction, you show us your intention in your forum (and part of your code! to what purpose if not for us to react?), you have plenty of IT guys around collaborating freely to projects that play TTRPGs, you have the forum to discuss all those points, you are connected with a team doing the same stuff ( open5e ), well, no you don't need to go to college to get things done!

But maybe I was mistaken about your intentions after listening to the podcast and seeing your original post and it was all about "tinkering with code". Ahhh, coming from a creative passionate business man like you, let me have some doubts :)

Remove ads