D&D 5E On meaningless restrictions

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I wouldn't hamper anyone on that basis. The rogue gets to differentiate himself in shared skills with expertise. With as few skills as 5e has, overlap is going to happen and I'm not going to step in for such a flimsy reason. Nobody in my game has dibs on any skills.

The point is the two players would have to deal with it.

If they refused then I as the DM would intervene and favor the one who followed the core rules and setting rules closer.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I love sarcasm! Here's another game I like to play called Further Down The Rabbit Hole!...

DM: (responding to your circus paladin) Ok, you can take background <x> or <y> to get Acrobatics. At least that gives a bit of an idea why you're paladin is different. And I guess the saves won't hurt anything...

Player 2: Oh! We can do that? Then I want to have Stealth and Thievery for my cleric, and add Dex saves too.

Player 3: Hey! I'm playing a rogue here! What if I trade backstab for cleric spells instead? Wait.. can I do that?

DM: Umm...

Player 4: Well, I`m changing my fighter to a paladin now so I can get spells, but I want her to have the same Fighter skills. She's basically a righteous fighter with divine powers?

DM: So, a Paladin?

Player 4: No, a Fighter! But I want to use the paladin class.

DM: <leaves>
Nah, this sort of slippery slope stuff isn’t convincing.

I really don't get why people are upset about this. The game is specifically designed to be "use what you want" and there are classless rulesets available if you want to go heavy in that direction (although I have no idea how good they are). Or keep it PHB and heavy niche protection. Whatever works for your table. It's not more or less D&D because of that choice, at that point it's your D&D. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.
But other people might be having fun wrong the wrong way!

Coroc

Hero
raging comment.
disparaging comment questioning poster's intelligence.
comment about how obviously I'm right.

Only recently returned to EnWorld and it's discouraging how frequently discussions go this way. I have sympathy for the moderators.

Do not take it to serious it is just a game, and every one has his own expectations and of course there is no bad wrong fun.

Remove ads