On the second day of Christmas, I got 2d6.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Two brand-new d6s, one black, one white.

I could just throw them in my dice bag. Alternatively, I could come up with a subsystem/rules module for them. Any suggestions?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Classic Traveller.

If you roll a 2 or a 12 on those dice during chargen, your character immediately dies (but its spirit becomes a figure of local folklore or legend).

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Eltab, Crusadius, thanks for the recommendations, but I'm not looking for a new game. Just a reason to make these dice feel special.

Classic Traveller.

If you roll a 2 or a 12 on those dice during chargen, your character immediately dies (but its spirit becomes a figure of local folklore or legend).
Harsh (but it also sounds like an excuse to limit extreme rolls, which 4d6 drop lowest also accomplishes). If 2d6 is used separate from other chargen rules, I could see a couple of lists. Roll snake eyes and you get a trait from the handicap list (but get to reroll your lowest score); roll boxcars and you get a trait from the silver spoon list (but have to reroll your highest score).

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Maybe some 2d6 encounter tables, with the starting reaction, good or bad, set by which die is higher.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Eltab, Crusadius, thanks for the recommendations, but I'm not looking for a new game. Just a reason to make these dice feel special.
If you just want to make them feel special, mount them on a well-finished piece of wood and give this out as a trophy each year for some reason: best player, best play, best quote, whatever. :)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Have a sword that does +1d6 necrotic at night and +1d6 radiant during the day. Come up with a story for why it's like that and you have a very cool weapon.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
An OSR game called The Blackest of Deaths has a neat mechanic that would use these two dice. Like most OSR games TBoD is d20 based, roll under stat in this case. However, any time you roll the d20, you also roll 2d6, one light and one dark. The light dice represents extra benefit, and the dark die represents complications. Whichever die is higher adds that result to the pass/fail indicated by the d20 (nothing added on a tie). This gives you a much wider range of results than you normally get in d20 systems. I thought it was neat.

Remove ads