• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On Whether to Get the GF Involved or Not

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Krissbeth said:
I met my SO in a different gaming group four years later -- So, yay!

Mouseferatu said:
I didn't meet my wife at a D&D game, but I did propose to her at one.

Yes, really
NERDS!
nerds.jpg

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Half of the guys I play D&D with are happy to have some "me time" away from their girlfriends and wives. The other half happily play in other weekly games with their wives/girlfriends.
Or just have one game w/ the wife, and one w/o. Works for me! :)

(It just worked out that way, I didn't design it that way to exclude her, FYI)

Nebulous

Legend
If you don't want to bring in an SO because of group dynamics, that's fine. But to claim that it's inherently a bad idea is closed-minded.

I think he's saying that from his experience, it's been a very bad thing to bring significant others into a D&D game. I wouldn't say close-minded really, it's just what he has known to the point he wanted to know if others had been through the same thing or not.

My GF tried to play, did for a while but never really took to it. But she has no problems with me spending many hours running fantasy games for other people, she just doesn't want to hear about it. Which is too bad. I wished she did like it more.

Mallus

Legend
I've gamed with couples, both married and not, and it's never been a big deal. As for my own SO, my lovely wife leaves the unadulterated nerdery to me... it's just not her cup of tea.

That One Guy

First Post
Heh. I didn't meet my wife at a D&D game, but I did propose to her at one. :D

Yes, really. :eek:
Will you be my hero?

But, seriously... back home I played in groups w/ girls all the time. There was one all girl group I heard about. Apparently they had a few good sessions... until the boyfriend of the DM called and needed her time. After that the group died.

Here I have two groups - one w/ mixed gender the other not. Honestly, a guy's night out can be a fun thing. Healthy and groovy. At the same time, I have always been more of a 'Hanging out w/ friends' guy... who hung out w/ friends regardless of gender.

My girlfriend did play in games I ran back home. She has ungodly luck. Even when I cheat against her she STILL out-rolls me. I've heard the sometimes PCs are afraid that I bend things in her favour... but then they actually look at the table and the rolls and realize - she is just uncannily lucky when rolling dice. I have heard of DMs who bend the game to favour their significant other, so I try to avoid it with an intense prejudice.

Last thing, promise, a few years ago I dated a girl gamer. Before that I had not dated girls who rolled dice and it was always a hard to understand thing in the relationship. After having that sort of mutual hobby and something that can be shared and understood so easily... I don't think that if I were ever to be looking for a new SO I would want one who did not game a little bit in some way. But seriously, Ari, will you be my hero?

Remove ads