D&D General One Piece of Art II (Monsters)- What D&D Art Inspired You to Love a Monster?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Invisible Stalker from the 2e Monstrous Compendium. Tell me that isn't the most amazing art you've never seen!
Brings to mind the phantom fungus picture* in 3.5e MM. "It's completely invisible! You can't even see it with invisibility purge. Oh, and here's a full color picture of it!"

* To be fair, I really digged that picture, and phantom fungus, in general. But yeah.

Ok, have to go back to Tony Diterlizzi for this one...

1659983654505.png

1659983692032.png

I mean come on!
Planescape Campaign Setting (1994)

Story: Honestly I could post any picture from the campaign setting or any of the PS monster compendium. Seeing this art one page after another is what made me and many others fall in love with this setting. It is weird, whimsical, sinister, and smart. It conveys how this setting isn't about kicking the door down weapons drawn.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Some of the first visual representations of orcs I was exposed to were from the original Warcraft RTS games. So to me, orcs were hulking green-skinned dudes with tusks. Never cared for the pig-faced style of orcs seen in early D&D. Until I read Delicious in Dungeon.

View attachment 256975

This is my absolute favorite depiction of orcs in any media I’ve seen (my current forum avatar is also an orc character from the series). Now I love pig-orcs (porcs?) and this is what they look like in my setting.

Have you read ORCS! by Christine Larsen? I love it.

1659984399937.png

Emirikol

Adventurer
Castle amber's colossus. Not only did I experience that during my formative D&D-kid years of the 1980s, it went to show the raw power of PLOT in a campaign. The players see it and say, "holy naughty word I hope we don't have to fight that." Then when you play the adventure and realize that there is a necromancer jarred in a little basket on it's back and that it's part of all the things going on in the WORLD OF AVEROIGNE demiplane, it gets the mind going on all the cause-effect surrounding such things.

https://d1vzi28wh99zvq.cloudfront.net/images/44/17088.jpg
17088.jpg

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads